Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was Pte A A Hargreaves as i have his medal card

yjaff

Hi all,

I have the medal card of Private Albert A Hargreaves and don't know who he is could anyone tell me anything about him: 21396 Suffolk Regiment & 96602 Tank Corps. he got the British and victory medals

There is an Albert Arthur Hargreaves in my family and i want to know if this was him. the birth date is very important because my Albert was born in 1901 which would mean he would have had to lie about his age, however this could mean the documents are wrong as well. His parents were Thomas Alfred Hargreaves and Emily Kent and brother Frederick John was in 1/17th London rifles.

I don't know if the Albert A stands for Albert Arthur and so I really want to know if this is my soldier, as lying about age would be very interesting for my project about enlistment!

Any info welcome, if by any chance you do find that this is not him or if you have the time, i have another thread open about the other men in my family who may have or may have not fought. but be warned, it will be challenging- their name was Smith!, but there was also more Hargreaves and Willmott s at... http://1914-1918.inv...1

It would be really appreciated

thanks in advanced for any help

Hi Yana

Albert Arthur Hargreaves was born in 1901. On the census which was taken on 31 March 1901, he is shown as 1 month old, named Arthur. Living at 7 Buckholt Rd, Leyton, Essex

It seems as if his birth was registered in the June quarter of 1901.

On the 1911 census he is Albert living at 59 Warren Rd, Leyton, Essex.

I've sent some images off list

Steve

Thanks Steve, got all the images-very useful as his name changes from Arthur to Albert, it seems he was known by his middle name as well.

I just don't know if he went to war or not. I bet I'll spend ages on this and it is not him, but it would be interesting anyway, so i am determined to find out more!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Steve and 17tankman, great help.

I don't know who this man was though.

can anyone tell me where this one was from, family, born, where did he live at the time...? maybe an obituary would help, but i think you have to pay for them, and if it is not him i don't want to spend my money, but if there are free ones via ancestry?