Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pfc. Max Polak, 274876

JOVE23

Hello all,

I am doing a little family research and have come across two soldiers who were members of the American 32nd Division during the Great War. The first, my great grandfather, Valdemar W. Ove was attached to the HQ Company of the 57th Field Artillery Brigade.

My great grand uncle Max Polak was in Co. K, 127th Infantry and earned the Silver Star for actions in the Bois de Gesnes on 4 Oct 1918. I was hoping that someone here had more info on either of these men, in particular a more complete AAR for my great grand uncle's actions on that day: the official citation mentions only that he "remained at his post under heavy fire."

Additionally, if by chance anyone here has a picture of my great grand uncle or could visit the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery and photograph his grave (Plot D, Row 20 Grave 11) I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance,

Justin Ove

Hi Justin,

Interestingly Max Polak PFC Co K, 127th Infantry is listed as being KIA on October 15, 1918 in the 32nd Division's Roll of Honor.

Address is listed as 1077 12th St. Milwaukee WI his next of kin is his Father Vincent Polak.

Hope this helps,

Neil

Also found the following in the WWI, WWII, and Korean War Casualty Listings database on Ancestry:

Name:Max Polak

State Registered:Wisconsin

Death Date:5 Oct 1918

Cemetery:Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery

Cemetery Burial Plot:Plot D Row 20 Grave 11

Cemetery City:Romagne

Cemetery Country:France War:World War I

Title:Private First Class, U.S. Army

Service:U.S. Army

Division:127th Infantry Regiment, 32nd Infantry Division

Data Source:World War I Honor Roll

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Mark and Neil,

Thank you very much for this information. Unfortunately, I have all of this already (I'm an ancestry member, too). I was hoping that someone had a unit diary of the 127th which would shed more light on Max's actions on the 4th apart from "stayed at his position despite heavy enemy fire."

Thank you,

Justin

• 2 months later...

A quick update:

I've obtained pages from the unit history of the 127th that deal with the Oct. 1918 time frame, but there's no mention of Max. I wonder if there are any other resources available to me that will help this search?

Thanks,

Justin

EDIT: I am attaching the pages from the book that I was sent for your perusal. There are some interesting stories in here. Additionally, I've located a picture of Max in the Milwaukee Public Library and have sent away for a copy.

Link

Question:

Is a unit history the same thing as a war diary? I would think a war diary would have some more information about the 2 days in question. My great uncle did something worthy of earning the 3rd highest decoration for bravery in the US Army and there's not a word of it in the unit history! Might I have better luck with the diary?

• 7 months later...

Question for the pals, who have doubtless seen far more period photographs than I.

How old does this fellow look to you? A cousin sent this to me and made a wild guess that it was Max, but I have doubts. Max would have been 19 or thereabouts when he enlisted.

maxpolak001.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 9 months later...

Fairly important updates in my research:

The National Archives has found the citation for Max's Silver Star, and grave location blanks that showed where he was initially buried. They also had a relevant map to cross-reference the coordinates given. I now know within 10 meters where Max was killed. I have also received the relevant pages from the unit war diary about the day in question, which doesn't add a whole lot to the picture.

I am hoping there are some more experts on the forum that have done some digging on this battle that can paint a better picture of the engagement which claimed my ancestor's life.

Here is the medal citation (large file)

Here is the estimated area where my ancestor was killed and buried

Here are the pages of the war diary (Page 1) (Page 2)

• 7 months later...

Seeing as I've found out about all I can find out about the Bois du Chene Sec, I decided to look back at his service record and see what other battles he was involved with to get a better idea of his movements during the war.

He arrived in France on 18 Feb, 1918 and was involved in the following:

• Alsace
  • Fismes
  • Juvigny
  • Verdun Bois du Chene (I am assuming this is Bois du Chene Sec where he was KIA)

Does anyone have any information on the generalities of the above actions?

• 6 months later...

They are at different angles and the light's entirely different but I think more yes than no (mouth, ears...)

Mike

post-102943-0-61255700-1406577111_thumb.

They are at different angles and the light's entirely different but I think more yes than no (mouth, ears...)

Mike

attachicon.gifMax??.jpg

Strikes me how old he looks on the left, when he couldn't have been any older than 18 or 19 when that picture was taken!

• 4 years later...

Remembering MAX  POLAK                           ( 100 years ago ) 

5th October 1918.

Probably saved many of his fellow Americans that day, But paid the ultimate sacrifice -

Proper HERO !!

Edited by Martin Feledziak

• 8 months later...

I paid a visit to Max the day before yesterday. I will post up some photos when I can get them off my Dslr.

the site remains epic.

Here is the cross for Max. 

The surrounding crosses almost appear as angels around him.

418974623_DSC_0119a.JPG.dc7b2bcbaabf669bb6a61a4c4399a763.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...