Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to identify uniform

Mondo101

Hi folks

I would appreciate it if someone could id this uniform,its a picture of another of my Granduncles and my Grandmother. Could it be a Highland division?

post-54514-0-60030200-1309863013.jpg

Well he is a Highlander, and is that a Government tartan kilt if so could be Black Watch.

Cheers,

Rob

Well he is a Highlander, and is that a Government tartan kilt if so could be Black Watch.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob...

• 3 weeks later...
<br />Hi folks<br /><br />I would appreciate it if  someone could id this uniform,its a picture of another of my Granduncles and my Grandmother. Could it be a Highland division?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Mondo101

The Tartan is Black Watch but the Glengarry Badge looks Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders can you enlarge? Where was the photo Taken? do you have a name for the soldier and then we can check the records?

Joe

The Black Watch badge is star shaped and would have been recognisable even at the acute angle shown. The shape is much more like A&SH and with the Government Tartan as well that is almost certainly certainly the regiment concerned.

Hi Joe and thanks for showing an interest,<br />the photo was taken in Limerick,Ireland before 1918 as my Grandmother married that year and is not wearing a ring in the photo.<br />The gentleman in question is one of three Granduncles that served in WW1.<br />I have had loads of help from forum members regarding one Granduncle, Patrick Bridgeman 5519 2nd Bn RMF.<br /><a href='http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=162739&st=0&p=1580946&fromsearch=1&#entry1580946' class='bbc_url' title=''>http://1914-1918.inv...1</a><br /><br />But I dont have first names for the two other Granduncles,the census for 1911 shows Michael aged 14 & Ned aged 12,so that may be them,but there could have been others that were not on the census.<br /><br />Rgds<br />Ray

Hi Frogsmile

we have two engraved shells in the family with the following inscription on them maybe they can help identify Mr Bridgemans outfit.

Shell one has the following inscribed on it:

HD

51st

HIGHLAND DIVISION

BERUMONT HAMEL

ARRAS

SOMME

YPRES

SOISSONS

RHEIMS

CAMBRAI

1914 - 1919

Shell two

A triangle on its side pointing right within a circle

15th

SCOTTISH DIVISION

ST QUENTIN

CAMBRAI

YPRES

ARRAS

SOISSON

9TH BN (HIGHRS)

THE ROYAL SCOTS

1914 - 1919

Thanks for the help.

Rgds

Ray

The lanyard was standard issue to all troops after the outbreak of the war - for use with the clasp knife which also became standard issue. Regulations stated that the lanyard should be white but different manufacturers and those sourced from other than the listed manufacturers varied in colour from white to dark khaki and anything in between.

<br />Hi Frogsmile<br /><br />we have two engraved shells in the family with the following inscription on them maybe they can help identify Mr Bridgemans outfit.<br />Shell one has the following inscribed on it:<br />HD <br />51st<br />HIGHLAND DIVISION<br />BERUMONT HAMEL<br />ARRAS<br />SOMME<br />YPRES<br />SOISSONS<br />RHEIMS<br />CAMBRAI<br />1914 - 1919<br /><br />Shell two<br />A triangle on its side pointing right within a circle<br />15th<br />SCOTTISH DIVISION<br />ST QUENTIN<br />CAMBRAI<br />YPRES<br />ARRAS<br />SOISSON<br />9TH BN (HIGHRS)<br />THE ROYAL SCOTS<br />1914 - 1919<br /><br />Thanks for the help.<br /><br />Rgds<br />Ray<br />

That is good evidence and indicates an entirely different regiment, the Royal Scots (1st Regiment of Foot), whose 9th battalion were styled and equipped as Highlanders:

1/9th (Highlanders) Battalion 1914 : at 89 East Claremont Street, Edinburgh. Part of Lothian Brigade, Scottish Coast Defences.

26 February 1915 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 81st Brigade, 27th Division.

24 November 1915 : transferred to 14th Brigade, 5th Division.

25 January 1916 : transferred to Third Army Troops.

1 March 1916 : transferred to 154th Brigade, 51st (Highland) Division.

6 February 1918 : transferred to 183rd Brigade, 61st (South Midland) Division.

1 June 1918 : transferred to 46th Brigade, 15th (Scottish) Division.

As you can see they were in the 51st Highland Division in 1916 and the 15th Scottish Division in 1918 so that fits in with your two shell cases.

<br />The lanyard was standard issue to all troops after the outbreak of the war - for use with the clasp knife which also became standard issue. Regulations stated that the lanyard should be white but different manufacturers and those sourced from other than the listed manufacturers varied in colour from white to dark khaki and anything in between.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks Squirrel...

Hi there

The tartan is Hunting Stewart rather than Black Watch and the Battalion is the 9th Royal Scots (Highlanders), the Dandy 9th who were part of the 51st Highland Division for most of their war. They were the only kilted Battalion of the Royal Scots, what was the lad's name?

John

Hi there

The tartan is Hunting Stewart rather than Black Watch and the Battalion is the 9th Royal Scots (Highlanders), the Dandy 9th who were part of the 51st Highland Division for most of their war. They were the only kilted Battalion of the Royal Scots, what was the lad's name?

John

Hi John

Thanks for the info.

I'm not 100% on the first name, could be Ned or Michael but his surname is Bridgeman.

Rgds

Ray