Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Steam traction engines on the Western Front

IRC Kevin

When we cleared my late Mother-in-Law's house we found a photograph of her father, Tom Featherstone, a steam tarction engine driver, in the process of recovering another engine that had got bogged down.

17June20042crop.jpg

With this, was a description of the scene by one of his sons. Tom drove traction engines, or steam road rollers all his working life. The 'Charles W' in the description was Charles W Stafford, who was Tom's boss in Civvy St and some time between when this photo was taken and the end of the War, lost a leg, although this did not prevent him continuing his pre-War career.

17June20043.jpg

What an interesting photo, as well as the priceless description on the back.

Simon

Great - love seeing unseen original footage like this. Especially with personal notes and drawings. How many of us could sketch as well now?

Chris

Fowler Lion I think, the ASC had about 75 of them on the WF

Interestingly, he drove Fowlers both before and after the War. His road roller 'Dorothy' (seen below) has been restored and is kept somehwere in Norfolk .

TomFeatherstonewithDorothy.jpg

We tried to get a modern shot of the place the original picture had been taken from, but a row of houses, with private gardens have been built there, but the picture below is within a 100 metres of there.

PICT0058.jpg

Somewhat off topic, however my mothers family were active in the steam traction world, ploughing and threshing etc. I recall several engines rotting in the corner of their yard in the 1940's. Another member of the family, I believe a Territorial in 1939, was said to have taken his steam road roller to France in 39/40.

Old Tom

Interestingly, he drove Fowlers both before and after the War. His road roller 'Dorothy' (seen below) has been restored and is kept somehwere in Norfolk .

f

DDR

The ASC also used 30 Fowler Lion rollers on the WF

Librarian- 'Dorothy' is in private hands (I do have a photo of it taken at a steam fair a few years ago).

Old Tom- attached photo shows Tom Featherstone involved in threshing. I think the photo was taken shortly adter the War as the chap on the right has found another use for his service dress! It also amuses me that the 'flat hat' went to war with them and to Hell with dress regulations.

GrandadTomFeatherstoneonsteamenginewiththreshingmachine.jpg

Kevin, Thanks for the picture. I have a few like that. I suppose could have been any date up to 1940 or so.

Old Tom

Kevin, Thanks for the picture. I have a few like that. I suppose could have been any date up to 1940 or so.

Old Tom

Although traction engines and stationary engines (towed) were still in use in agriculture during WW2 I'd suggest that some of the clothing is closer to WW1