Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 tea party at Shepreth Village Hall, Cambs

J T Gray

You may recall this story a little before Christmas:

http://www.royston-crow.co.uk/news/world_war_one_postcard_found_in_shepreth_1_754064

A great many discoveries have been made locally since and so a tea party has been arranged in the village hall, itself a hospital in WW1 (see here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158917&st=0 ). The postcard that started it all off will be presented to Drummer Wolstencroft's great-nephew, and the photographs of the hospital will be on display along with local material that been found since. I have also foolishly volunteered to give a brief talk on the Battle of the Somme - eek! For those with satnavs, the location is: SG8 6PZ

If there are any GWF members in the area that day we'd be delighted if you turned up!

Adrian

P.S. Advertising OK'ed by Les Turner.

EDIT: I've just been emailed the text of the flyer, so here it is:

TEDDY’S TEA PARTY

VILLAGE HALL

3PM onwards

SATURDAY APRIL 16

In April 1915 Nellie Wolstencroft sent a postcard to her brother “Teddy”, who was being treated in a military hospital in Shepreth Village Hall after returning from the First World War trenches.

The postcard somehow slipped behind the wooden panels which line the hall walls and disappeared.

In December 2010 workmen found it.

At 3pm on Saturday April 16 we’re going to celebrate the life of Private Edward Wolstencroft – plus the lives of the men and women of Shepreth who served in World War I – at a special village hall tea party.

Find out what happened to “Teddy”, see the postcard lost for 95 years and enjoy a photo exhibition showing life in Shepreth during The Great War.

There’ll be tea and cakes and a chance to chat to villagers whose relatives fought and died on the Western Front.

Join us and show the families of those who served in the war to end all wars that Shepreth doesn’t forget.

PS: If anyone has a story to tell or anything relating to Shepreth in the First World War we’d love to hear about it.

Call Brian or Louise on 01763 261183

Good luck with the talk, would have liked to attend, but distance prevents, I'm sure it will be very interesting.

IanC

I will be there all going well.

John

Adrian, I've just spent a good 1/2 hr looking at your threads - what a pleasure! Thank you.

PS: Why not add this to the Calendar feature?

:blush: Why not? 'cause I'd never looked for it... :doh: Thanks - now lurking in the calendar! Glad you enjoyed the threads - they've been a bit slow burn.

You won't be able to miss me, John - I'll be looking very nervous, and will stand up and spout pony and trap! Trying to put together a side of A4 whilst gardening and job hunting (and even working), trying to make it populist enough to be listenable, but not going too far down the "Haig was a tw*t" or "donkeys" route is proving to be... interesting!

Adrian

... trying to make it populist enough to be listenable, but not going too far down the "Haig was a tw*t" or "donkeys" route is proving to be... interesting!

Adrian

As Basil Fawlty said: "Don't mention the war!"

Seriously, though, you may be best advised to stick to the personal recollections and images, and play down the actual fighting. The anoraks of the GWF and the WFA (and I count myself an anorak) will know a lot of the background already, and the rest of your audience are more likely to be interested in the family and local history side than the carnage in Flanders.

Good luck, anyway!

Ron

Adrian

As Basil Fawlty said: "Don't mention the war!"

Seriously, though, you may be best advised to stick to the personal recollections and images, and play down the actual fighting. The anoraks of the GWF and the WFA (and I count myself an anorak) will know a lot of the background already, and the rest of your audience are more likely to be interested in the family and local history side than the carnage in Flanders.

Good luck, anyway!

Ron

Slight problem, Ron, in that I think the bit you advise me to steer clear of is what I've been asked to talk about! However, I'm going to mention the "New Army", made up of volunteers/conscripts (must check the dates for conscription to avoid making a prat of myself), hence the numbers involved, and try to find out roughly where Wolstencroft's regiment were when he was killed. I'm also going to mention the fact that the barrage could probably be heard in Shepreth - I knew someone who remembered hearing the guns in France when she was a girl (and specifically mentioned the Somme - though that might be because of its place in the British consciousness).

Adrian

Accompanied by my wife we attended the Shepreth Village Hall Tea Party. It was a most enjoyable two hours enjoying the display and listening by a very attentive audiance to the talk by forum member (J T Gray) Adrian on the Somme. I was very pleasently surprised by the turnout of the village, in support of this event approximately 120 to 150 attended. The Tea and Cakes were supplied by the local branch of the Womens Institute, the cakes were superb, and all donations going to the Red Cross. The presentation was performed by Lilly whose mother was a nurse when the village hall was a convalescent hospital and who could have possibly nursed Pte Edward Wolstencroft. Here are a few photographs of the event.

John

Photo 1 The Venue

Photo 2 The Display

Picture 3 Display

Picture 4 Display

post-1365-0-06617000-1303039000.jpg

post-1365-0-81785700-1303040811.jpg

post-1365-0-70355900-1303040982.jpg

post-1365-0-94438200-1303040996.jpg

Picture 5 The Womens Institute Cake table

Picture 6 Adrian (J T Gray) Talk on "The Somme"

post-1365-0-17682100-1303041098.jpg

post-1365-0-61446000-1303041119.jpg

Picture 7 Local Lady talkig about her experiances of her Grandfather who lost his leg on "The Somme" and taken prisoner and then repatriated.

post-1365-0-85383300-1303041404.jpg

Picture 8 Lilly presening the framed Postcard to Private Wolstencroft relative

post-1365-0-87968600-1303041777.jpg

Picture 9 Group photograsph Lilly, the postcard finder and Pte Wolstencrpft relative.

Picure 10 The postcard finder and Private Wolstencroft relative.

post-1365-0-46970500-1303041865.jpg

post-1365-0-85594600-1303041961.jpg

You beat me to it, Roxy!

Thank you, John for the write-up - I see the soiled dressings bucket was strategically placed for my script! :-)

I really enjoyed it, and I'd strongly recommend anyone else invited to do something similar to give it a go. Apart from anything else, the teas and cakes were superb!

Adrian

Very well done Adrian.

Everyone looked to be very intersted and enjoying the event.

(Why do the WI cakes always look so deliciously inviting?)

I did wonder what the bucket was for!

Again, well done and thanks for sharing

Susan

(Why do the WI cakes always look so deliciously inviting?)

Susan

Have you seen Calendar Girls? :lol:

Ron

:lol:

Sure have, twice - Helen Mirren eat your heart out !