Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas William Smith

W.J.Caughey

Hi everyone, and forgive me if this has ever been posted before, i know every WW1 death is a tragedy and each has its own story, but i thought i would just share this story with the forum.

And does anyone know of a bigger lost of life in a WW1 family than this notice. Father, Mother, four brothers and three sisters killed in war.

Kind regards Walter.

post-64827-0-56937500-1300028121.jpg

Is it possible to know which newspaper printed this story, and the date please?

LST_164

Hi, Belfast Telegraph, April 1919. Don't know what day in April, i just take them month by month, but if needed i will check the day it was publish during the week for you. it must have been publish in the London Daily Express at some time.

WJ

Only 3 Smith's 7th Bn on CWGC for 1916: -

6612 Pte A.W Smith KIA 29/06/1916 http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=293287

15181 Pte E.J Smith KIA 18/11/1916 http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=302315

G/7107 Pte George Smith KIA 28/09/1916 http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=812678

Nice story but seems hugely exaggerated, in fact no one by the name of Smith from 7th The Queen's RWS was KIA 01/06/1916.

Can't find 3 women by the Name of Smith Killed 1915 from the same borough, in Fact struggling to find Pte Smith as well.

Sam

Arthur Thomas Smith Peasmarsh, Rye Sussex 1 Jul 1916 Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) Western European Theatre

Edward Smith Newington, Surrey 1 Jul 1916 Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) Western European Theatre

Henry Urias Smith Wrotham, Sevenoaks Kent 1 Jul 1916 Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) Western European Theatre

Arthur Thomas and Henry Urias Smith both of 7th Btn. (Edward is 2nd Btn).

Arthur Thomas Smith Peasmarsh, Rye Sussex 1 Jul 1916 Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) Western European Theatre

Edward Smith Newington, Surrey 1 Jul 1916 Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) Western European Theatre

Henry Urias Smith Wrotham, Sevenoaks Kent 1 Jul 1916 Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) Western European Theatre

Arthur Thomas and Henry Urias Smith both of 7th Btn. (Edward is 2nd Btn).

Susan

Have you looked on CWGC? I might have lost it, but I can't see any of them, Non-commemotations?

Edited - just noticed 2 of them are RWK not RWS.

Sam

Sorry Sam, only just seen your post.

Did look on CWGC but so many Smiths but difficult because we do not know the names of dad or brothers.

Some who died on 1st July are commemorated on Thiepval, some Dantzig.

Some "Smith" names died on 3rd July. I did wonder if they had been fatally wounded then died on 3rd, but thought that a bit ridiculous as who would have had time to bring them in or been alive to do so.

What I did find interesting (and probably everyone knows this already) was when you click on cemetary you can to to cemetary report (which gives all names of those in the cemetary or on Thiepval (for instance). I had to go right up to page 162 to find any Smiths and then the date of death's were not in order. Gave up in the end.

The "Edward" I found earlier was 2nd Btn. 40 yrs old and came from Bermondsy anyway.

As you rightly remarked it is difficult to find anything, but that is not to say it does not exist.

Perhaps a fresh pair of eyes (or two with my glasses on) tomorrow may help!

Susan

Had a more extensive look this morning.

Looked at Soldiers died all of 1916

Only 5 from 7th Btn.qUEENS OR RWK died during 1916

Seems the 6th Btn. took higher fatalities during July, August and October 1916

Only 7 from 7th Btn RW Surrey died during 1916 mainly Sept, Oct and Nov

None of these fit the bill.

Looked at service records and pension records for Smith, Croydon, RWK then Queens then Royal West Surrey

None fit the bill.

Unless Thomas was a stepson or had a different name from his father / brother(s)

His siters could have been married and may not have been under the name of Smith

Giving it a rest for a bit.

Susan

Edit: 1901 census for residents of Croydon / Surrey - There is one Thomas Smith (stepson) of a Frederick Roe age 38 with a son also Frederick Roe age 15. But no other brothers or sisters of either surname.

What I did find interesting (and probably everyone knows this already) was when you click on cemetary you can to to cemetary report (which gives all names of those in the cemetary or on Thiepval (for instance). I had to go right up to page 162 to find any Smiths and then the date of death's were not in order. Gave up in the end.

Susan

Hello Susan,

Another tip - when you bring up a CWGC list of casualties if you click on any column heading the order of the list will change e.g. click on date of death and the names are rearranged into date of death order. If you click on cemeteries/memorial names the list is rearranged into alphabetical order of the cemeteries.

Regards

CGM

Many thanks CGM

Good idea.

Susan