Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

56th Field Bakery, ASC

MIB037

I am trying to research a member of my Family Tree who served in the 56th Field Bakery in Eqypt during World War 1. Are there any useful sources for find informtation about the Unit or the inidividual?

My subject is George Ambrose Allum, Born 1880 died 1941.

Any info will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Mark.

Mark,

Have a look at the tread about the 8th Field Bakery - it should be of interest to you. It would appear that research possibilities are somewhat limited.

All the best,

Gary

• 1 year later...

Mark,

I too am researching my grandfather who signed up in the ASC and was posted initially to 55 F/Bakery on 1st June 1915. His record states Mediterranean Exp force, but his 1915 Star record card says his initial deployment was Balkans Theatre

Pte William Samuel Smart, ASC no S.4/090813

His actual service over the following 3 years is untraceable, and your mention of "Egypt" is therefore of interest to me

On 8/4/1918 he was compulsority transferred to Egypt Exp Force in 2/19 Bn London Regiment , [ as G57162] and by 12 June 1918 he had died of wounds [possibly Jordan] and is buried at the Jerusalem War Cemetery. Apart from the dates of posting and transfer mentioned above, I have no information as to his movements, so any tie up with your relative would be of interest.

The MIC entry “Balkans” would be correct for the MEF at that time

There was a Field Bakery at Helles, and you will see a sketch map indicating where, in this thread here (see post #2) http://1914-1918.inv...topic=179738=

Quote:

On 8/4/1918 he was compulsority transferred to Egypt Exp Force in 2/19 Bn London Regiment

As a result of the March 1918 German offensive on the Western Front, the EEF had to send there reinforcements amounting to

'two infantry divisions, (with two pinoneer battalions taken from other divisions), nine Yeomanry regiments, five and a half siege batteries, twenty-three infantry battalions, five machine-gun companies: upwards of 60,000 officers and men.' (see the OH, Part II, p.421).

So taking men from the ASC Supply Companies was perhaps one way of making up a little of that shortfall in manpower.

The 2/19th Londons were in the 180th Brigade of the 60th Division see page 67/68 of “The Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force............” [ down-load from here http://archive.org/d...ofadv00grearich ]

regards

Michael

many thanks Michael,

the initial location of the bakery at Cape Helles is interesting and ties in with both my grandfathers medal card and possibly also with the Mark's "Egypt" recollection. Since posting my message I have been in process of purchasing an original photo of 55 Field Bakery taken May 1915 immediately before going to the front. There is a possibility it may contain my grandfather's image, but I will not know until my dad gets his family photos out!

I am trying to find my grandfather's fate in the reprint of the 1930's book on the "Second Nineteenth" which appears to contain a roll of casualties in various Palestine actions.

regards, Dave Smart

• 2 weeks later...

Think I finally worked out how to attach a photo of the 55th Field Bakery ...It's a little small, but thats due to forum restrictions on file size.

email me at mibriant@yahoo.com if you wish the full size copy I have.

Mark

post-54828-0-56473600-1338579865_thumb.j

• 3 years later...

I am trying to research a member of my Family Tree who served in the 56th Field Bakery in Eqypt during World War 1. Are there any useful sources for find informtation about the Unit or the inidividual?

My subject is George Ambrose Allum, Born 1880 died 1941.

Any info will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Mark.

I have just found this photo in my Grandfather's photos. You never know!!!!

He was a driver in the ASC in Egypt from early 1915 to almost the end of the war.

Howard

post-991-0-43966100-1442163869_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

Am trying to track down where my Great-Great Grandfather George w. Stone entered the War. His service medal record states he entered 29/4/1915 into the Balkans theatre. His number was S/4/058861. I know he died in Meteren, France as part of the kings Liverpool regiment on April 1918 but know nothing in-between. Any hints would be very helpful as I try to piece this puzzle together. Have also attached the only photo we have of him in uniform.

IMG_0074-2.JPG