Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FOLDING TRENCH SAW ORIGINS AND HISTORY

Guest SA BRIGADE

Guest SA BRIGADE

I have obtained a folding trench saw in a leather pouch that has been dated 1916.I am currently in Baghdad and do not have access to all my reference books and would appreciate any inputs on the origin,use and purposes of this seemingly very handy item.

I wouldn't be surprised if your QM could produce a similar item for you today! The same pattern was certainly used in the 2nd WW and the design of similar saws has changed little today.

They were obviously designed for use by RE's in the felling of small trees etc and construction work therafter. As well as the two wooden handles with brass ends you should have a small teeth straightening tool in the pouch.

One of the brass rings on the end of the blade should be broard arrow marked and dated together with a maker name.

SA Brigade,

These saws were introduced in October 1907 with LoC 14075.

They were pretty much universal issue.

An Infantry Battalion in 1914 had 32 of these (8 per company) carried on the man.

Joe Sweeney

Guest SA BRIGADE

Thank you for very good answers on a subject that may not appear to be very interesting to everybody.One of my major objectives is not only to build up a comprehensive collection with regard to the South African contribution on the Western Front but to also provide as much accurate detail as possible for all my items as the lack of indepth knowledge regarding WW1 is a problem in my home country where the interest in this subject is only now gaining momentum.