Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George McLarty. 1 Australian Tunnelling Company

ATNOMIS

Pals.

I was looking for another headstone in Overleigh Cemetery, Chester this morning and found this gent miles from home.

IMAG0098.jpg

I'd love to put a picture to a face. I'd like to know his story.

Details ive found out so far are-

Service number: 5386

Unit: 1 Australian Tunnelling Company

Service: Australian Army

Conflict: 1914-1918

Date of death: 4 November 1918

Cause of death: Died of sickness

Cemetery or memorial details: CHESHIRE 28 Chester General Cemetery

War Grave Register notes: McLARTY, Spr. George, 5386. 1st Australian Tunnelling Coy. Died of sickness 4th Nov., 1918. Age 40. Son of Archibald and Mary McLarty. 3843.

Source: AWM145 Roll of Honour cards, 1914-1918 War, Army

http://www.awm.gov.a.../032/032523.pdf

Name:McLARTY, GEORGEInitials:GNationality:AustralianRank:SapperRegiment/Service:Australian Tunnelling CorpsUnit Text:1st Coy.Age:40Date of Death:03/11/1918Service No:5386Additional information:Son of Archibald and Mary McLarty.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:3843.Cemetery:CHESTER (OVERLEIGH) CEMETERY

Pals thank you.

Regards

Atnomis/Simon

Embarkation Roll - George McLarty

Service number: 5386

Roll title: Mining and Tunnelling Company - July to September Reinforcements (July-September 1916)

Conflict: First World War, 1914-1918

Date of embarkation: 20 September 1916

Place of embarkation: Melbourne

Ship embarked on: HMAT Suffolk

Ship number: A23

• 4 years later...

Simon

I am researching the 31 Empire (or Commonwealth) soldiers, sailors and munitions workers buried in Cheshire for the Diverse Narratives project on Minorities in Cheshire 1914-1918 .

George McLarty is one of the men in whom I am interested. Have you found a photo or anything about him apart from his service record at the National Archives of Australia?

The War Diary of his unit is hard to read due to low resolution scanning, but from what I can see, they were working on improving the roads in the final push when he was gassed. By September 1918 tunnelling was a thing of the past as the Germans were in full retreat.

I also think that Beth would appreciate your photo of the headstone for her site on Australians resting in the UK - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219599&hl=or http://ww1austburialsuk.weebly.com.

Matthew Clayson, an Australian Munitions Worker is also buried at Chester Overleigh and part of his story is available on the Diverse Narratives site. I have a much more detailed version for anyone who is interested, just let me know.

Thanks

Harper