Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion, The Connaught Rangers

KenMcC

I recently discovered that my Great Uncle, Bernard McCormack (McCormick) served with the Connaught Rangers in the Great War. I've downloaded his medal record from the National Archive which records that he was killed in action on 5th November 1914. He is buried in the Cabaret-Rouge Cemetary in Souchez, France.

I would love to discover which battles his Battalion was involved in and where he was killed.

I've learnt that the Battalion sailed from Karachi and landed at Marseilles on 26th September 1914. They were merged with the 2nd Battalion, Connaught Rangers in December 1914, after his death. The involvement of the 2nd Battalion is well documented but I can't find specific mention of the 1st Bn, prior to the merger in December 1914.

As a novice, I'd really appreciate some advice.

Hi C_R

From the LLT: August 1914 : in Ferozepore, India. Part of the 7th (Ferozepore) Brigade in 3rd (Lahore) Division

Assuming the 1st Bn stayed with this formation until merging with the 2nd Bn then your uncle Bernard may have been at the battles of La Bassee and of Messines

From the LLT: 10 October - 2 November 1914

Elements of the British Expeditionary Force which took part in these engagements:

The Battle of La Bassee, 10 October -2 November 1914

2nd Cavalry Brigade (of Cavalry Division)

II Corps: (Smith-Dorrien): 3rd and 5th Divisions

Indian Corps: (Willcocks): Lahore Division (less Sirhind Brigade), Meerut Division and Secunderabad Cavalry Brigade

The Battle of Messines, 12 October - 2 November 1914

Cavalry Corps (Allenby): 1st and 2nd Cavalry Divisions

Ferozepore Brigade (of Lahore Division)

1st Northumberland Fusiliers and 1st Lincolnshire regiemnt (of 3rd Division)

2nd essex Regiment and 2nd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (of 4th Division)

2nd King's Own Scottish Borders and 2nd King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (of 5th Division)

Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars

14th London Regiment (London Scottish)

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi,

His regimental number 8313 would have him enlisting in Oct 1904.

He is on the 1911 Census with the 1st Battalion at Gough Barracks Ferozepore Punjab India as part of 'C' Company.

Private MCCORMACK, Bernard Single 27 1884 Co Galway Eyrecourt

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919

about Bernard Mccormack

Name: Bernard Mccormack

Birth Place: Eyrecourt, Co. Galway

Residence: Galway

Death Date: 5 Nov 1914

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Ballinasloe

Regiment: Connaught Rangers

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Number: 8313

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Regards Mark

C-Ranger

Attached is the 1st Bn Connaught Rangers Medical Officer's diary for the 5th Nov (an unusual document). They made a local counterattack the day before and your man was likely found to have been killed on the 5th though he may have died the day before.

They were in billets in Laventie (near Estaires) on the 1st and must have been in trenches nearby - Neuve Chapelle/Aubers area.

Hope this helps

Colin

post-47743-004372300 1288823911.jpg

Hi Mark, Ulsterlad2, Colin,

Thank you all for your prompt and informative responses; so much more than I had expeected.

The Battle of La Bassee looks the more likely as it ties in with Colin's information re Levantie/Nueve Chapelle/Aubers. It's facinating to see the Medical Officer's Diary entry. I didn't think such things existed today!

Also, it was great to get confirmation that my man was stationed in India.

Thanks again guys.

Ken McCormack

Opinions of more experienced military students and historians than myself needed!

From the invaluable information provided here, I was able to track down General Sir James Willcocks' book 'With The Indians in France' - a detailed account of the Indian Corp in Flanders, in which the 1st Battalion, The Connaught Rangers served. In it, he describes - close to Neuve-Chapelle - a counterattack at midnight on 14th-15th November to regain a trench that had fallen into enemy hands.

Details of the account match those recorded in the Medical Officer's Diary entry for 4th-5th October (provided above by Colin):

- Mud had gotten into the rifles which were malfunctioning and rendered useless causing the men to retreat

- The retreat was completed by 2am

- Several Officers & Men killed and wounded

- Heavy incoming artillery "to which our artillery did not reply"

General Sir James Willcocks' book is chronological, with few exceptions. However, the dates 14th-15th for this event are out of step with the recorded events immediately before and after it. Had it been recorded as 4th-5th November, chronologically it would sit perfectly in the overall account.

In my quest to discover the details of my Great Uncle's death, I am tempted to assume that the author was mistaken on this occasion but I would very much appreciate some feedback on whether or not that is a safe assumption.

The details are recorded on pages 88 and 89 of General Sir James Willcocks' book. http://www.archive.o...age/88/mode/2up

Many thanks

Ken

Hi,

Here are the activities for the 1st Battalion for 5 Nov 1914 from 'The Connaught Rangers' by Jourdain & Fraser.

Regards Mark

post-14045-059820200 1289229317.jpg

Thank you Mark

Could this be follow-up action to that described in the Medical Officers Diary posted above or maybe one in the same with some confusion over the timing?

Mark. Thank you.

That is brilliant information. You've confirmed that Gen. Sir James Willcocks did mistake the dates of this action in his account. My man was in 'C' Coy so I'm sure, from your information, that he was killed during the midnight attempt to fill in trenches.

One final question (sorry to be a pest). Is there specific information about the location of this action? The best I have is 'somewhere near' Neuve-Chapelle.

Thank you again.

Ken

The Battalion had moved from Estaires on 30 Oct 1914 to some farms on (Ferme Defief is mentioned) 'Rue de Bacquerot' where the action took place.

Regards Mark

1st Battalion Connaught Rangers

Killed in action 5 Nov 1914

9167 Private Thomas Boyle Kilkenny,

8758 Private James Connolly Rotherhithe, Surrey,

8395 Private James Albert Judge Ballaghadereen, Co. Roscommon,

9323 Private Michael Kelly Dublin,

8313 Private Bernard Mccormack Eyrecourt, Co. Galway,

9311 Private Albert Thomas Dublin,

9239 Private Thomas Walsh Aldershot, Hants,

Died of wounds 5 Nov 1914

9311 Private Albert Thomas Dublin