Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Arthur Raymond Boscawen Savage

Piley

I have been researching Major Arthur Raymond Boscawen Savage, he was formerly RFA, was employed as an Intelligence Officer in the Dublin District. Sadly he had a severe drink problem throghout his Army career, and sadly was forced to retire as an Intel. Officer....however having had reports against him from Dublin Castle and RIC, he applied as an Auxie and was accepted! only to pass away on 18 May 1921 aged 52 (before he could serve!) and was buried in Grangegorman Cemetery.

Surely Army Intel/RIC and ADRIC would all have access to his files?

If anyone has a picture of him I would be very grateful.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I used to own this group and that to his son 2/Lt J.R.B.Savage(circa 25 years ago)-- I know of the whereabouts of a photo to his son who was kia with the R.F.C., but I expect that you will already have that one? It may be worth contacting the R.A. Museum, or alternatively I believe that the RMC Sandhurst Library holds albums which contain some portraits of R.A. officer cadets who were commissioned from Woolwich--you really need to know is when he was first commissioned and also if he went through Woolwich, although I believe that most regular R.A. officers did?

I hope this helps, Robert

Hi Simon,

I used to own this group and that to his son 2/Lt J.R.B.Savage(circa 25 years ago)-- I know of the whereabouts of a photo to his son who was kia with the R.F.C., but I expect that you will already have that one? It may be worth contacting the R.A. Museum, or alternatively I believe that the RMC Sandhurst Library holds albums which contain some portraits of R.A. officer cadets who were commissioned from Woolwich--you really need to know is when he was first commissioned and also if he went through Woolwich, although I believe that most regular R.A. officers did?

I hope this helps, Robert

Hi Robert

Thank you for your response, I bought the group over 5 years ago, sadly his son's group was not in the auction.

I have gone through all the RFA/RA to no avail, his death appeared in The Times, and because of his father (also a retired officer)and surviving his son & grandson,thought might have been more on him.

The RIC file on him is very interesting!

Many Thanks,

Simon

I see you have started a thread of his own now :)

So did he die of natural causes or was he murdered - I assume you have seen his file

I am at a loss to know how he was attributed to Intelligence. He does not appear to have a Special Appointment. And while the British were anxious to get undercover men, I would have thought that an alcoholic would not be a good choice for that.

I see you have started a thread of his own now :)

So did he die of natural causes or was he murdered - I assume you have seen his file

I am at a loss to know how he was attributed to Intelligence. He does not appear to have a Special Appointment. And while the British were anxious to get undercover men, I would have thought that an alcoholic would not be a good choice for that.

His death was attributed to drink!he was working with the RIC at Dublin Castle, it all appears strange to me