Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cyclists Died....

Guest Nicholas Hemming

Guest Nicholas Hemming

I have discovered eight Tour de France riders so far, who died. Most famous are;

LUCIEN PETIT-BRETON (real name Mazan). Winner, 1907 & 1908. Killed in a motor accident behind the lines, 20/12/17.

FRANCOIS FABER. Winner, 1909. A Luxembourger, who joined the Foreign Legion.

Killed in action at Garency, 9/5/15.

OCTAVE LAPIZE. Winner, 1910. Became a pilot during the war. Killed in action, Pont-a-Mousson, 14/7/17.

HENRI ALAVOINE. Rode the Tour every year from 1909 to 1914. Died, Western Front, 19/7/16.

FRANCOIS LAFOURCADE. Rode the Tour every year from 1907 to 1912. Died, Western Front, 10/8/17.

GEORGES CADOLLE. No further info.

EMILE ENGEL, who won stage 3 in the 1914 Tour. Died 10/9/14.

EMILE FRIOL, who had been a world track champion.

Another possibility is Jean Pelissier. Jean, the fourth of the renowned Pelissier brothers died in the war. I'm not sure whether he was a cyclist, though his other three brothers, Charles, Francis and Henri were all great riders.

The 1914 Tour, won by the Belgian, Philippe Thys ended just days before the outbreak of war. The race resumed in 1919, preceded by a 3 minute silence. Firmin Lambot, another Belgian was the eventual winner.

Even before 1914, there was a thriving professional cycling scene on the continent. Between 1903 and 1914, several hundred men competed in the Tour de France alone, to say nothing of the numerous other races on the calendar, so there may be literally dozens of racing cyclists who died in the war.

Anyone know more?

It was Francois Faber who instigated the hill climbs as he said the race was too easy.

He was a furniture remover in real life, so shifting a mere bicycle was child's play.

He has a memorial at Notre Dame de Lorette.

Dave:

Faber "instigated the hill climbs". He was a good climber, but surely Henri Desgrange instigated the climbs. Faber just rode where he told them to, didn't he?

Nicholas:

Faber, Lapize and Petit-Breton were the only ones I knew. Didn't know about Alavoine (1919 Tour-runner-up Jean's brother, I assume) and hadn't heard of the others. IIRC, Jean Pelissier did compete professionally, but I will check it out further.

I had some of this documented - now lost in a computer crash - but from memory plus some Googling (in case this comes as news):

Faber was a Corporal in the Régiment de Marche de la Légion Etrangère and winner of the Medaille Militaire. He was killed at Carency (Pas de Calais) on the first day of the Battle of Artois He was carrying a wounded comrade from no mans land over his shoulder. The RMLE lost 1950 out of 2900 in their attack on the "white work(?)" near Neuville-Saint-Vaast.

Petit-Breton was a driver on the IX (or XI?) Corps staff when he was killed.This site says "On the night of December 19 1917, 20km behind the front line he was driving a vehicle on a dark road. A drunken peasant with a horse drawn cart turned unexpectedly into his path. There was a terrible crash and Petit Breton was killed instantly."

Octave Lapize was shot down in a Nieuport 23 (Code number 4) near Pont-a-Mousson on 14/7/17 while serving with N.90. N.90 had two casualties that day (Lapize killed and one other wounded), so there is some uncertainty about the circumstances.

Most likely he was shot down by Oblt Robert Greim, who ended the war as a 28 victory ace, Pour le Merite holder and a Bavarian knight (Robert Ritter von Greim). Later still, he was General der Luftwaffe, holder of the Ritterkreuz mit Eichenlaub und Schwerten, and successor to Goering as head of the Luftwaffe in WW2.

There was also a claim that day by Lt Borchart and Lt Seifert of FAA 276, who shot down another Nieuport this day at Morville. More likely that was the N.90 pilot wounded that day, and not Lapize.

(Note both of these were claimed as SPAD's but none were lost in this sector on that day).

This Page mentions a few who aren't on your list.

Do you have details on the others?

cheers

Duckman.

Faber apparently complained to the organisers that the whole thing was too easy! Why didn't they have some decent hill climbs?

Who actually decided that this would be a good idea and where to have them is something else.

Harry Nelson was one of Ireland top cyclists was wounded WW1...have the scan frm the paper if any interest!

Guest Nicholas Hemming

Duckman

Thanks for your most interesting post. Re the less well-known riders, I don't really have much more info. than was in the original message, but am trying to find out more, as well as adding to the 'roll of honour' as many other cyclists as I can find.

Dave

Faber, despite his large stature, was an expert hill climber (unusual in cycling, as most 'grimpeurs' are small and wiry). Over six feet tall, he was known as the 'Giant of Colombes' from the Parisian suburb in which he lived.

Faber was also an extremely tough character, even by Tour de France standards. The 1909 race, which he won, was dogged by the vilest weather in Tour history and only a third of the competitors finished. In those days, many of the stages were over 200 miles in length, almost all on unmetalled roads. In the mountains 'roads' were often little more than goat tracks, and the use of bicycles with gears was not permitted! In the course of his ride to victory, Faber negotiated floods up to the hubs of his wheels, endless mud, and was kicked off his bike by a horse. Whilst riding the Col de Porte, he was twice blown off his bike by gale force winds. His chain broke more than once and he finished one stage by running the last mile, pushing his cycle.

He may have said cycling was easy compared to furniture removal, but no doubt with tongue firmly in cheek!

I have often marvelled at how their generation was able to endure the war's appalling privations, and conclude that people in general were tougher in those days. For all that standards of atheticism have may have risen in the last century, I think any champion sportsman of today is made to look pretty darn soft when compared to Faber and his contemporaries.

NH

NH,

Couldn't agree more. They made them different back then. Just look at the Bordeaux-Paris, 600+ km. in a single day!

"Les Forcats de la Route", indeed. Aside from the Pelissiers, I think my favourite from that era would be Eugene Christophe. Did they come any harder? I'd pay good money to see Lance fix his own front forks....

Nelissens "La Bible du Tour de France" is worth a look if you haven't already. I'll check for more for your list when I retrieve my copy.

And how, they were tougher!

Last year we had the misfortune of the Tour de France going through my village. They even went to the length of sweeping gravel off the road so that the cyclists wouldn't fall off. And I thought they were all experts. My son aged five could cope with gravel!

And they do that throughout the length of every stage.

We, and just about everyone else disappeared for the day. We couldn't stand the harrassment. Village cut in two all day. We couldn't get off our estate after 0900. Shops, filling station all closed. And in the end the 'Tour' went through in about 30 seconds.

Talk about hyped up rhubarb! Most people's rection these days is to raise their heads to heaven and scream.

It's not hyped up rubbish, if you'd been born a frenchman you might understand its cultural heritage.

And how, they were tougher!

Last year we had the misfortune of the Tour de France going through my village. They even went to the length of sweeping gravel off the road so that the cyclists wouldn't fall off. And I thought they were all experts. My son aged five could cope with gravel!

And they do that throughout the length of every stage.

We, and just about everyone else disappeared for the day. We couldn't stand the harrassment. Village cut in two all day. We couldn't get off our estate after 0900. Shops, filling station all closed. And in the end the 'Tour' went through in about 30 seconds.

Talk about hyped up rhubarb! Most people's rection these days is to raise their heads to heaven and scream.

Your son doesn't go through gravel at 30 mph!

Guest Nicholas Hemming
They even went to the length of sweeping gravel off the road

I think sweeping the roads is more about preventing punctures than anything. However, crashes are an occupational hazard for racing cyclists. Riders have died on the Tour and in other races, so any measures to avoid accidents are worthwhile. Hitting the road at 30 mph. with bare arms & legs is most unpleasant at the best of times.

Still, I think our old friend Faber would have been amused: never mind sweeping up - in his day, the roads WERE gravel!

NH

Guest Nicholas Hemming
"Les Forcats de la Route", indeed.

Aside from the Pelissiers, I think my favourite from that era would be Eugene Christophe. Did they come any harder? I'd pay good money to see Lance fix his own front forks....

Duckman

Do you know if Albert Londres' article 'Les Forcats de la Route' is available anywhere? In French is fine.

Yes, Eugene Christophe, another iron man from the early days, who suffered endless bad luck and deserves to have been a Tour winner. Apart from the 1913 incident, he broke his forks on two other occasions. He had to do his own repair, and lost 2 hours in 1919. Again in 1922, he broke his forks descending the Col de Galibier, but remarked that by then, he was becoming 'a bit of an expert' at repairs.

For sheer toughness though, his victory in the 1910 Milan-San Remo takes the biscuit. The good weather suddenly turned so foul that Christophe was caught in snow on the Turchino Pass and may have died of exposure had he not been rescued by an inn keeper who wrapped him up in a blanket by the fire. Eventually pressing on, he won the race, but was hospitalised as a result and took a year to fully recover.

Unlucky perhaps, but he did not, fortunately, become a casualty of the war. He would have been 29 in 1914. I don't know if he fought - can anybody shed any light?

NH

Guest Nicholas Hemming
Couldn't agree more. They made them different back then. Just look at the Bordeaux-Paris, 600+ km. in a single day!

... and Christophe won Bordeaux-Paris two years running.

"Les Forcats de la Route", indeed.

Aside from the Pelissiers, I think my favourite from that era would be Eugene Christophe. Did they come any harder? I'd pay good money to see Lance fix his own front forks....

Duckman

Do you know if Albert Londres' article 'Les Forcats de la Route' is available anywhere? In French is fine.

NH

Nick,

You can buy a copy from Chapitre in france

See Chapitre - Les Forcats

or

Chapitre - Les Forcats de la route

Martin

• 13 years later...
On 8-6-2004 at 02:30, Guest Nicholas Hemming said:

I have discovered eight Tour de France riders so far, who died. Most famous are;

LUCIEN PETIT-BRETON (real name Mazan). Winner, 1907 & 1908. Killed in a motor accident behind the lines, 20/12/17.

FRANCOIS FABER. Winner, 1909. A Luxembourger, who joined the Foreign Legion.

Killed in action at Garency, 9/5/15.

OCTAVE LAPIZE. Winner, 1910. Became a pilot during the war. Killed in action, Pont-a-Mousson, 14/7/17.

HENRI ALAVOINE. Rode the Tour every year from 1909 to 1914. Died, Western Front, 19/7/16.

FRANCOIS LAFOURCADE. Rode the Tour every year from 1907 to 1912. Died, Western Front, 10/8/17.

GEORGES CADOLLE. No further info.

EMILE ENGEL, who won stage 3 in the 1914 Tour. Died 10/9/14.

EMILE FRIOL, who had been a world track champion.

Another possibility is Jean Pelissier. Jean, the fourth of the renowned Pelissier brothers died in the war. I'm not sure whether he was a cyclist, though his other three brothers, Charles, Francis and Henri were all great riders.

The 1914 Tour, won by the Belgian, Philippe Thys ended just days before the outbreak of war. The race resumed in 1919, preceded by a 3 minute silence. Firmin Lambot, another Belgian was the eventual winner.

Even before 1914, there was a thriving professional cycling scene on the continent. Between 1903 and 1914, several hundred men competed in the Tour de France alone, to say nothing of the numerous other races on the calendar, so there may be literally dozens of racing cyclists who died in the war.

Anyone know more?

My research has given 53 riders of the Tour de France (with 122 particiapations) that has been killed in World War I.

For the llist:

Jean Pélissier was a cylist (fulfilling amateur) killed on the 15 march 1915 (http://nl.renners-in-de-grote-oorlog.wikia.com/wiki/Jean_Pélissier).

Edited by Marksken58

I wrote an article on this subject for my local cycling club magazine a few years ago.

Oscar Lapize was shot down on Bastille Day 1917 near Verdun and died of his injuries in hospital.

Lucien Petit-Breton was killed in a car crash. He was rumoured to be on a secret mission behind enemy lines when he was killed. He was also involved in the "Taxis Of The Marne" operation in 1914. 

Francois Lafourcade, who led Lapize over the Tourmalet in 1910, was also a pilot. He was killed during a dogfight in 1915. He was implicated in the poisoning of rival Paul Duboc during the 1911 tour. Duboc survived the poisoning & the war. 

Henri Avaloine won 17 stages in the Tour. He died of injuries during aeriel combat in 1916. His brother Jean survived the war and went on to win 11 stages in the Tour.

Marcl Kerff of Belgium, who finished 6th in the 1903 Tour, was killed in August 1914. On hearing German artillery he cycled over to investigate. He was captured and hanged as a spy. 

Italian Carlo Oriani, who won the Giro d'Italia in 1913, was in the Italian VCyclists Corps. He died of pneumonia after swimming the icy waters of the Tagliamento River during the retreat from Caporetto. They used folding bikes made by Bianchi.

• 1 year later...