Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staff Sargeant Major W. J. Murdy

dtmurdy

hI

Unsure if this is the correct location and apologies if not..

Was wondering if anyone out there could shed any light on a family member who like so many never came home.

William Joseph Murdy b. 22 May 1863 - d. 25 Mar 1917

William was a Staff Sargeant Major, Horse Transport, 61st Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corp.

He had previously served in the Egytian (1882) and Suakim (1885) campaigns before re-enlisting to go to France on 22nd July 1915.

He died of a Cerebral Haemorage in a field hospital on Sunday 25th March, 1917 - which i'm guessing is a head wound.

He is buried at Grove Town Cemetery, Meautte, France.

Does anyone know what happened around 25/03/1917 or how i could find out

Many thanks

Darren

He died of a Cerebral Haemorage in a field hospital on Sunday 25th March, 1917 - which i'm guessing is a head wound.

No, he had a stroke. Could have been due to a number of reasons; trauma to the head, high blood pressure, an abnormality in the blood vessels in his brain, would be the likeliest possibilities.

Headgardener

Thanks for the clarity and like you say probably caused by the trauma to the head

Darren

several service records on Ancestry which make for interesting reading.

On one page, the Cerebral Haemorage is crossed out and has been replaced with broncho-pneumonia and heart failure. Another page is a report from the CO of 61st Field Ambulance stating death was caused following a period of illness, broncho-pneumonia and heart failure.

post-9463-013270600 1280300139.jpg