Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reginald Hathawy Stennings alias Walter Stephens

Stanley_C_Jenkins

A number of British soldiers joined the IRA during the early 1920s, includeding Charlie Chidlie, an English Soldier stationed in Offaly; Peter Monaghan, a Scottish private with the Royal Engineers, and Reginald Hathaway Stennings (alias Walter Stephens) a 23-year deserter from the East Lancashire Regiment. Reginald Hathaway/Walter Stephens later fought as an IRA Volunteer during the Irish Civil War, but he was captured and executed by the Free State Army in 1923. He seems to have been a mystery character, and there is some doubt about his regiment (which some sources say was the Royal Scots – does anyone have any firm details of this man?

According to The Times, "Reginald Stephen Hathaway", a former member of the East Lancashire Regiment from Slough in Buckinghamshire, was captured after a shoot-out in County Kerry and executed by firing squad in April 1923 - no mention of the Royal Scots.

Hi

He was executed by firing squad on 25th April 1923 at 8am at Tralee, no other details to add other than his address was given as 39 King Edward St., Slough, Bucks before he left England

Regards Barry

Hi

He was executed by firing squad on 25th April 1923 at 8am at Tralee, no other details to add other than his address was given as 39 King Edward St., Slough, Bucks before he left England

Regards Barry

Thank you for the reply - there does not seem to be much interest in this topic! I am still unsure where the Royal Scots fit in, and am beginning to think that their supposed involvement may be something of a false trail.

Hello,

Do you know the correct name of Reginald Hathaway Stennings ?

I was looking through the 1911 census and found a REGINALD WALTER STENNINGS born 1903, living in Forest Gate, East Ham, Essex. His father is named as STENNINGS, WALTER STEVENS, b1879.

There's also a REGINALD HATHAWAY, b1895 living in Cippenham nr Slough.

Hi All

Hathaway was 23 when executed in 1923 so d of b should be 1900, interesting names though!! He is buried in the Republican plot at Rahelda Graveyard,Ballyduff,Co.Kerry

Regards Barry

On the 1901 census, there's a Reginald A Stenning born in Pimlico in 1900.

There is an MIC for a Reginald A Stenning as a sapper.

Medal card of Stenning, Reginald ACorpsRegiment NoRankRoyal EngineersT224SapperRoyal Engineers545119SapperDate1914-1920Catalogue referenceWO 372/19

The only Stenning in the East Lancs is William Stenning.

War of Independence and Civil War, Kerry - Reginald Hathaway Stennings

Alias Walter Stephens, a 23 year old Englishman, a native of London, with an address of 39 King Edward Street, Slough, Bucks, England. He came to Tralee some time during the War of Independence as a member of the East Lancashire regiment of the British Army. During this time he deserted the British joined the I.R.A. and became very friendly with local republican leaders Edward Greaney and Aero Lyons. He remained a member of the I.R.A. after the truce and when the Civil war broke out he joined the Free State Army. However he quickly disappeared from barracks absconded with a rifle and a hundred rounds of ammunition in order to rejoin and rearm the I.R.A.! He was captured during the surrender of Pierses Flying Column and signed a form undertaking not to take up arms against the Free State under the alias of Walter Stephens.

He was taken prisoner along with James Mc Enry and Edward Greaney on the 18th of April 1923 at Clashmelcon caves and received severe physical abuse from his Free State Captors after his surrender.

He was executed by the Free State Army at 8 o clock on Wednesday the 25th of April 1923. He is buried in the republican plot at Rahela Graveyard Ballyduff, Co. Kerry.

On the 1901 census, there's a Reginald A Stenning born in Pimlico in 1900.

There is an MIC for a Reginald A Stenning as a sapper.

Medal card of Stenning, Reginald ACorpsRegiment NoRankRoyal EngineersT224SapperRoyal Engineers545119SapperDate1914-1920Catalogue referenceWO 372/19

That's a very early TF number (T224). The post-1916 number indicates that he was serving with Sussex Fortress Co., RE. I'd suggest that (T)224 is almost certainly a fairly early pre-war TF number (1908-09?), and therefore it can't be your man.

I believe he may have been referred to as "Rudge" Hathaway, as in the following snippets;

"A Free State Officer came in , a small man , with a white , smiling face . He looked from one to another and recognised the Englishman , Rudge Hathaway . " Now : get to the caves ! " he ordered . Rudge had to obey "

After their surrender their hands were tied behind their backs before being set upon by the jubilant Free Staters. A Free State officer called Hancock singled out Rudge Hathaway and he was taken away. When he was returned he was near death. Hathaway was despised by the many ex-British army soldiers serving in the fledgling Free State army because he was an Englishman who had deserted the British army and joined the IRA during the Tan War

Confusingly, he is described by Brendan Behan in Confessions of an Irish Rebel" as a Yorkshireman. He is also descibed elsewhere as Richard "Rudge" Hathaway.

"Rudge" is presumably another form of "Reg". If he had been awarded any medals during his previous incarnation as a British soldier, they would presumably have been taken away when he joined the rebels (?) One source suggests that his father in London may have been of Swedish origin.

If he had been awarded any medals during his previous incarnation as a British soldier, they would presumably have been taken away when he joined the rebels (?)

I'd expect him to have an MIC but for it to record the fact that he deserted and that a decision had been take to forfeit his medals. That seems to have been the case with other deserters (i.e. Percy Topliss). Far more likely that he didn't have any overseas service during WW1.

No Chidlie's in the MIC's - about 4 Charles Chidley's, a couple of Chidlow's. A few Peter Monaghan's in the RE.

Any sign of service papers? If they deserted before 1921 it's possible that they could be there.

No Chidlie's in the MIC's - about 4 Charles Chidley's, a couple of Chidlow's. A few Peter Monaghan's in the RE.

There is no-one named Chidlie on Free BMD. Doesn't seem to be a surname. Thousands of Chidleys.

• 5 months later...

There is interest on Hathawayon this thread from post 61

• 4 years later...
Do you know the correct name of Reginald Hathaway Stennings ?

Returning to this thread 5 years on, I am trying to find out if anyone has got any further with him.

Basically we have no idea who he was. Apart from the fact that he died as Reginald Stephen Hathaway and that he appears to have defected as Hathaway (See Witness Statement 1118) in late May 1921

However he uses various names

• Reginald Stephen Hathaway
  • Walter Stephens
  • Reginald Stenning

I cannot get him in BMD or censuses or service information. The most likely man is the one in post #5 above. for 1911 census at 52 Sherrard Road, Forest Gate,, West Ham

stenning-1911.jpg

Reginald Walter Stenning with a father Walter Stevens Stenning. Born late 1902/early 1903. So would have been 20 when executed, rather than 23 given in press, but that age may not be correct. There are the various combinations of Walter, Stephen and Stenning, but no Hathaway (Hathaway is not Reginald Walter Stenning's mother's maiden name - that was Holtom)

The only other clue that I can see is the address in 39 King Edward St in Slough. The street does exist, but I cannot get the inhabitants in 1911 census to try to establish link

My notes on Hathaway are on this link - click

I feel that logic/searching should get one to 39 King St, Slough and that a solution to him is there. Anyone better than I am at finding the link?

CGM

Thank you, I am very grateful. I have added it to my stuff on Stenning, and will see if I can make any connection between them

I thought that I had made the family link from Hall to Stenning, but on reflection it is not there

One small clue may be that the baby on the 1911 census could be the Sidney W Stenning who has a death registered in Eton Sep Qtr 1911, aged 0.

Thanks IPT

That certainly appears to be the death of that Stenning child in Eton. Which links the Stenning family to Slough soon after the 1911 census

I guess I need to see if I can get absent voters for Slough to see if there is anything there

• 2 years later...

If anyone is still looking for information on Reginald Hathaway Stennings, the Irish government released today another batch of military archives from the revolutionary period among them is that of Reginald.

www.MilitaryArchives.ie

On 5/31/2015 at 14:33, corisande said:

Thanks IPT

That certainly appears to be the death of that Stenning child in Eton. Which links the Stenning family to Slough soon after the 1911 census

I guess I need to see if I can get absent voters for Slough to see if there is anything there

Yes,

The Irish Military website (it was down yesterday with weight of traffic!) gives the definitive answer -  Reginald Walter Stenning born 26 Feb 1903

I have amended his CV on my website - click for Reginald Walter Stenning

His parents applied for an IRA pension, but were refused on the grounds that they were not dependent on him financially