Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another of my pics

jaydon100

Hello again,

Here is another of my family photos - the people in it are unidentified at present. I was wondering if you could tell me anything about he uniforms and cap badge again. I did a quick 'novice' search for the cap badge and came up with the Monmouthshire Brigade?? I note that there is a difference in the two uniforms - buttons etc. Can anyone tell me why?

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Jaydon

post-56704-053364400 1279200624.jpg

They're Monmouthshire Regt, rather than Brigade. Being a Territorial unit, they would be issuing uniforms as and when supplies were available, so wouldn't worry too much about the uniform differences. One thing that I have noticed is that the shoulder title of the lad to the left of us doesn't have the letter 'T' over his MONMOUTHSHIRE, which would possibly indicate a wartime rather than pre-war enlistment, which is why his mate doesn't have one.

Thanks very much for that information Graham. Were the Monmouthshire Regiment part of anything bigger (sorry for my ignorance) like the South Wales Borderers? I am trying to match pictures with information that I have about family members. My grandmother's three brothers all served in WW1 and these pictures have come from their relatives. However, from the records on Ancestry.co.uk, I have worked out that the eldest was enlisted in Newport, Monmouthshire on 3/9/14 into what looks like the GSI ( I don't know what this stands for) of the South Wales Borderers. On the top oft he page it says 'Short Service'. The middle brother joined on 4/9/14 and it says that he was in the South Wales Borderers, 8th Battalion and later in his pension records it states he was in Unit 9 of the Royal Army Medical Corps. The youngest brother to serve joined on 12/8/12 and was driver in Royal Field Artillery. It mentions the 4th Welsh Brigade and the 33rd battery on another page. Later he seems to become a gunner and there are reference to the 34th, 41st and 44th battery. It's all very confusing for me!

You will see that I post an earlier photograph but it seems from responses that this may be of someone in the Royal Engineers. If you can shed any further light on either photograph, I would be most grateful.

They are both wearing service stripes ( not sure if it is 2 or 3 years ) on their left arms. The chap right in the photo is wearing a trench cap. The other looks like he has a wound stripe.

They are both wearing service stripes ( not sure if it is 2 or 3 years ) on their left arms. The chap right in the photo is wearing a trench cap. The other looks like he has a wound stripe.

Hi John - actually known as 'Good Conduct Badges' as opposed to service stripes. Being Territorials this would date the photo late on, as GCB's for Terriers weren't the norm as far as dress & embelishments goes.

Interesting. The guy on the right has what appears to be 'rifles' buttons, which are blackened. Did one of the Monmouth battalions wear these?

Peter

Hi Graham, when you say that the stripes (GCBs) would date the pic 'late on' - what sort of date do you think?

1917 - 1918 ????

• 5 months later...

Interesting. The guy on the right has what appears to be 'rifles' buttons, which are blackened. Did one of the Monmouth battalions wear these?

Peter

HI Peter,

In response to your post above...Yes one of the Monmouthshire Battalions was a Rifles...this was the 1st Battalion.

Regards

Martyn

These are the badges and shoulder titles, the buttons might be the pressed leather rather than black Rifles type, they seem indistinct

and shoulder titles

and buttons

post-599-014319000 1292845992.jpg

post-599-059679800 1292846119.jpg

post-599-017216100 1292846221.jpg

post-599-094579200 1292846227.jpg