Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS and other Documents

green_acorn

Pals,

I have been working on creating a list of the documents published by GHQ BEF, the much quoted "SS and CDS" documents. I started with the list of about 150 published at the Birmingham Uni Centre for First World War Studies and am presently up to about 800 individual documents. I first posted information about this at A List - SS, CDS and 40/WO/... Documentsover at Great War Forum > Documents, photos, art > Document Repository > Reference books > A List - SS, CDS and 40/WO/ .. Documents, but it seems to be attracting no interest, possibly because of its obscure location, not just the obscure nature of the thread!

I would greatly appreciate any input or comments Pals may have.

Cheers,

Hendo

Hendo,

do you have copies of these documents available?

tim

Tim,

No I am only trying to make a list so that researchers know what the document was, and where they may be able to find them. When I submit the list to Birmingham Uni, I will have a column on where I have found the document to be publicly available.

cheers,

Hendo

• 5 weeks later...

Mike Meech asked me this question over on a related thread:

Hi Hendo

With all those esoteric CDS/SS documents I presume you have; SS 132, SS. 205, SS. 563 and SS. 649. However, how do you deal with early documents that appear not to have CDS or SS numbers but have a RE GHQ printer's number instead (and/or a O.A. or O.B. reference)? Of course these might have been renumbered later I suppose.

Examples are:

GHQ. 265. Co-operation of Aeroplanes with Artillery (1915). (Probably later incorporated in SS.131 from 1916 with improvements.)

GHQ. 611. RFC - Notes on Landing Grounds (1915).

GHQ. 645. Notes on the Co-operation of Aircraft and other Arms when the Army is on the Move (July 1915).

GHQ. 742. Notes on the Care and Maintenance of the Wireless and Signalling Lamp Apparatus (March 1915).

GHQ. 1195. Co-operation of Aeroplanes and Artillery when using Wireless (July 1915).

GHQ. 2733. Communication between Aeroplanes and Artillery. (Translation of German Document of 15th November 1915, British covering letter dated 11th July 1916.)

I also have a photocopy from the TNA of 'Signalling from Aeroplanes (Wireless and Lamp)'. The covering letter (40/W.O./2454 (M.A.1)) is dated 30th March 1915 and is from the Assistant Director of Military Aeronautics at the War Office and is to CRFC in France. There is no actual War Office number on the document itself.

I hope this is of interest to your research.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

CDS 13 Co-operation of Aeroplanes with Artillery, 1915

CDS 10 Notes on Landing Grounds - 1915

CDS 9 Co-operation of Aircraft and other arms when the army is on the move, 1915

GHQ 742 I have not heard of, but I dare say was registered as a CDS document.

CDS 40 Co-operation of aeroplanes and artillery when using wireless, 1915

GHQ. 2733. from memory is a SS document, I don't have my laptop with the up-to-date list handy or powered up, but I believe I have it listed.

All of the others you mentioned relate to the RFC.

Thank you for the information and do you know which institutions these are at? I would be keen to include that information on my list for others to use.

Cheers,

Hendo

Hendo

The IWM Department of Printed Books used to publish a catalogue of the SS & CDS docs in their collection. The last copy of this I saw was put together in 1996 but presumably it has been updated.

M

Hendo

The IWM Department of Printed Books used to publish a catalogue of the SS & CDS docs in their collection. The last copy of this I saw was put together in 1996 but presumably it has been updated.

M

Mike_H,

Thank you, I purchased a copy of the list from the IWM two years ago, it is one of the primary sources for my own much larger list.

Cheers,

Hendo