Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two brothers in 10th Bn, Alberta Regiment

janecavell

George Olaf Damian Ceadda Jackson and his brother Hugo Ant(h)ony Launcelot Ceadda Jackson, Lieutenants in 10th Bn Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regiment) both died on 28 April 1917 according to CWGC.

They had been born in England (one in Longworth, Berks, and the other in Shilton, Oxon) but emigrated to Canada some time before the war.

Both had attested on the same day in September 1914, according to their papers in Soldiers of the First World War - CEF.

Their CWGC entries note, poignantly:

Son of the late Rev. Joseph and Elizabeth Jackson, of Holy Trinity Vicarage, Bampton, Oxon. By the deaths of H A L C Jackson and his brother Lt. G O D C Jackson, of the same Regiment, on the same day and in the same action, this branch of the family becomes extinct.

Please could someone advise on location of war diaries or other sources which might tell me the circumstances of their deaths?

Thanks

P.S. There are entries for both in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour (on Ancestry), with photos. The photos are also on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial Site.

Thankyou for that link, ulsterlad. How fantastic to have all that material freely available online! That's going to keep me quiet for a while. . .

From Appendix 118 of the war diary it appears that the brothers must have died during the capture of the village of Arleux en Gohelle. Of 14 officers who 'went over with the attack' that day, four were killed, one missing and seven wounded.

I have now discovered Vimy Ridge: a Canadian reassessment (edited by Geoffrey Hayes et al.) on Google Books, which is proving most useful.

Good to hear Poppy3. Happy researching. :D

Edited: Writing more.

Poppy3. A little bit about 28th April from Jonathan Nicholls "Cheerful Sacrifice". Chapter 20 "Recipe For Disaster"

" The only bright spot of the day was the capture of Arleux by Currie's 1st Canadian Division, its losses of 9 April repaired with reinforcemens "

Poppy3. Would you be interested in a copy of "The Story of the Canadian 10th Battalion 1914-1917" by J.A Holland. PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

Good luck with your research... Aye Rob.

Poppy

You might want to let Chris Baker know to add them to this list

Michelle

Good idea and a reminder i have two brothers to add as well . MC

Hugo and George are listed on the "Two brothers who died on the same date!, What are the odds?" thread on page 7, post 145.

Regards

Steve