Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hartlepool Bombardment

Hett65

Found this headstone in Darlington (West) Cemetery while photographing a headstone of a casualty for another member of the forum. Posted for any member who has an interest in the bombarment of Hartlepool in December 1914.

Casualty is Private 18/107 Alix Oliffe LIDDLE of the Durham Light Infantry who was killed in the bombardment on the 16th December 1914. Son of James & Frances Liddle of Darlington, husband of Clara of Sylvan Grove, Linden Avenue, Darlington.

Grave reference L 5A 141.

John

post-14035-1277751931.jpg

John

I recently visited the graves of the two Gunners from the Bombardment. I believe they were stretcher bearers and went to the aid of Private Liddle and other wounded DLI men when a second round landed and killed them.

post-46676-1277759342.jpg post-46676-1277759366.jpg

post-46676-1277759590.jpg

Hartlepool West View Cemetery

CWGC Details

On entering the main gates of the cemetery, there is the keepers house on the right. Take the first path to the right, and you will see them together after about 20 metres.

Ian

Thanks for posting the other two casualties, anyone having an interest in this action can add these photographs to the history they have researched.

When you were at West View Cemetery, Hartlepool did you photograph only the two headstones above or all of the CWGC headstones in the cemetery. Reason I ask is that there is another member of the forum wanting a photograph of a headstone in that cemetery, LYNCH grave reference 2 'U' T3. If not I will pay a visit in the next week or so and get the photograph for him.

John

John

Only the two Gunners.

Ian

Heugh Battery near the spot where shell landed which killed Gunners Houston, Spence, and Private Liddle.

Any experts let me know if the various locations are wrong.

post-46676-1277827511.jpg

Hartlepool Bombardment plaque

post-46676-1277827639.jpg

Ian

Thanks for posting the other two casualties, anyone having an interest in this action can add these photographs to the history they have researched.

When you were at West View Cemetery, Hartlepool did you photograph only the two headstones above or all of the CWGC headstones in the cemetery. Reason I ask is that there is another member of the forum wanting a photograph of a headstone in that cemetery, LYNCH grave reference 2 'U' T3. If not I will pay a visit in the next week or so and get the photograph for him.

John

John,

I work in British West Hartlepool :D . I can get the photograph for you unless you want to make the trip yourself.

Thanks

Anth

Anth

That would be very helpful as I live in Spennymoor. The photograph is for dean1 on the GWF, he has a list of headstones he is trying to get to complete his research, I have taken two for him at Bishop Auckland and Darlington. There are two at Hartlepool, the one at West View and one at Stranton which is Lyth in grave reference VIII B 128, would it be possible to do this one also. If you cannot do Lyth I will get to it eventually when I visit Hartlepool.

John

• 2 years later...

Heugh Battery near the spot where shell landed which killed Gunners Houston, Spence, and Private Liddle.

Any experts let me know if the various locations are wrong.

post-46676-1277827511.jpg

Check out - Where The Sea Starts - on ---------> YOU TUBE -------------> That a ------------> Way

PS Great Pic