Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ralph MINES - ASC & 24th & 15th London Regt

Kevin Tobin

I have recently aquired a trio and a great deal of paperwork relating to Ralph MINES.

His medal index card shows him as ASC - S/4/070732, 24th London Regt 725768 & 15th London Regt 205022.

From paperwork he was a baker before the war and was with the ASC 13th Field Bakery, BSD, No3 Base, BEF France. He then went to the 24th London Regt and then the 15th London Regt.

A newspaper article he wrote says he was in the West Surrey Regt? Is this an old or alternate name for either of the London Regt?

Has any one any knowledge where I might find the war diaries for any of these regiments?

Thank you.

I will post a picture of his cap badge later to see if it can be confirmed as one of the above units.

I think the Queen`s was the 22nd & 24th County of London Battalions.( The Queen`s was the Royal West Surrey Regiment ? )I`m sure an expert will put that right.

Gary.F.

The 1/24th London Regiment was "The Queen's"

His 14-15 Star is marked ASC with his ASC number and the Victory & BWM are marked 15th London Regt.

I thought all medals should be marked the same with the first regiment?

No 1 taken in France

With his future wife.

Close up of badge.

post-16197-1277478590.jpg

post-16197-1277478668.jpg

post-16197-1277478699.jpg

His 14-15 Star is marked ASC with his ASC number and the Victory & BWM are marked 15th London Regt.

I thought all medals should be marked the same with the first regiment?

Yes, generally they are, but there are occasional exceptions. They tend to occur when either there is a discrepancy in the naming (i.e. a spelling mistake in the surname or the wrong initial or initials) in which case the medal entitlement may be split over 2 cards, or if the man had 2 periods of service (i.e. he qualified for the star during his initial period of service, but after being discharged - time-expired men, for example - he signed up for a further period of service which included time overseas. Or in the case of a simple clerical error.

Obviously there are also exceptions in cases of an other-rank who is promoted to officer and serves overseas, or a man who earned a 14 or 15 star with the army and subsequently transfers to the RFC/RAF and then has further overeseas service.

Interesting. His MIC has the X (dots omitted) symbol in blue next to "A.S.C.", indicating that that unit should appear on his War and Victory. However, since 15/ -"- is in the same colour as the symbol (blue) the namer associated it with his last unit.

No 1 taken in France

With his future wife.

Close up of badge.

Exellent photo's, the Queens badge on his hat, also the one with his wife he has a spade flash on his sleeve with a company bar under, 15th battn yellow spade, 20th battn dark green spade, 24th battn red spade.

Is there a chance of a bigger photo with his wife. JG

Does it state in the paperwork which battalions of the 24th or 15th he served with?

The would confirm where he served. ie: the 2nd battalions of each were in France, Salonika, Egypt, Palestine and then back to France.

Cheers Andy.

Thanks for the help so far.

Andy, I'm afraid that it does not say which battalion he was with.

JG will post another picture later today.

I was surprised that Ralph went from the ASC to a line Regiment. I thought it was usually the other way round. I suppose as he was a baker prior to the war they posted him to an ASC Bakery first?

Closer one of Ralph's tunic. It is taken from a copy so not the best quality.

Also Ralph & celebrating their Golden Wedding anniversary. I like this extra detail!

post-16197-1277666122.jpg

post-16197-1277666200.jpg

Thanks Kevint, if you find any thing else about him be sure to put it on the forum, JG

In Egypt and Palestine many A.S.C. units became self contained with respect to drivers and articifers. Training schools for local labour were set up and produced cooks, bakers and drivers, thus relieving A class troops for front line duties. This was probably widespread in the Army.

Alan

I thought I would share a bit more that I know about Ralph Mines.

He was born 25/4/1892 in Downley, Bucks. He went to the village school. He worked for Faulkners Bakery, making bread and delivering it on a horse and cart.

He was a member of the Wycombe Pheonix Harriers athletic club.

Whilst in France with the ASC 13th Field Bakery he was contacted by Daisy Hussey and they became pen friends, courting on his return home and eventually marrying in 1921.

The golden wedding newspaper article says he was wounded twice, once in the leg by a grenade and once in the groin by shrapnel. (No SWB)

Just prior to 1939 Ralph was working for McCraft of Desborough Road, High Wycombe. They made chairs. He then moved to Bristow & Townsend LTD and was in the packing department.

During WW2 he did air raid duty at various factories watching for incendiaries.

Medals, Service bible and 1914 Cross country medal

post-16197-1277721021.jpg

Army Order announcing Kitcheners death.

List HB2 clothing to be in the possession of troops of the expeditionary force. Mines ASC.

Letter addressed to Ralph at ASC 13th Field Bakery.

Card sent by Daisy to France.

Ralph in Wycombe Phoenix Harriers team 1914. Nespaper cutting just after his death.

post-16197-1277721089.jpg

post-16197-1277721236.jpg

post-16197-1277721302.jpg

post-16197-1277721374.jpg

Kevint,

I was surprised that Ralph went from the ASC to a line Regiment.

This was much more common than is generally known

From Col Beadon's history of the RASC, Vol.II

"During 1917 many thousands of horse transport drivers were so transferred, large numbers coming from Divisional Trains. These were assembled in the Army Service Corps Base Depot at Havre and were drafted to battalions after very brief training at Infantry Base Depots. The spirit of these men returning 'up the line' in their new role was wholly admirable and in this connection one small incident is worth relating.

In the autumn of 1917 some battalions of the 60th Rifles had after gallant resistance been overpowered by a crack German Marine Corps near Nieuport. These units had recently received large drafts of ex-Army Service Corps drivers, and the adjutant of one battalion who survived the fight wrote to the Officer Commanding the Army Service Corps Depot at Havre, asking whether it could be arranged that further men from the same source could be provided for the re-constitution of the unit, as those which had previously been incorporated had conducted themselves so splendidly in the face of the enemy."

Another example would be Lance Corporal E Seaman who joined the ASC in December 1915 and was posted to France with the Expeditionary Force Canteens. He was later transferred to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers with whom he gained a posthumous VC

regards

Michael

I thought I would share a bit more that I know about Ralph Mines.

He was born 25/4/1892 in Downley, Bucks. He went to the village school. He worked for Faulkners Bakery, making bread and delivering it on a horse and cart.

He was a member of the Wycombe Pheonix Harriers athletic club.

Whilst in France with the ASC 13th Field Bakery he was contacted by Daisy Hussey and they became pen friends, courting on his return home and eventually marrying in 1921.

The golden wedding newspaper article says he was wounded twice, once in the leg by a grenade and once in the groin by shrapnel. (No SWB)

Just prior to 1939 Ralph was working for McCraft of Desborough Road, High Wycombe. They made chairs. He then moved to Bristow & Townsend LTD and was in the packing department.

During WW2 he did air raid duty at various factories watching for incendiaries.

Medals, Service bible and 1914 Cross country medal

Glad you mentioned him being wounded, if you look on his tunic sleeve you will see his two wound stripes.

Thank you to all who have replied to this topic.

Hi Kevin,

Rather than Ralph I'm interested in Daisy Hussey, his wife. I'm presently trying to trace info regarding Hussey's that died during the First World War and was wondering if she was related to any of my boys. There are several Daisy Husseys listed as sisters on the Census records.

Any info gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Brazen

Daisy was born 20/3 /1894 in Cippenham, Bucks. Her father was William G Hussey and her mother was Rebecca.

Does that link in?

Hi Kevin,

It would appear that she had one brother, Ethelbert, who would have been elligible for service in the Great War and he survived well past the end of the war. If I do find a link to any of my boys I'll let you know.

Thanks for your response.

Cheers

Brazen

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just been given another photo of Ralph.

The football is marked 13 Field Bakery, BEF France, 1914 -17.

post-16197-057561500 1289661291.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be a pain but I am a bit confused about the Regiment Ralph was with. He told the newspaper he was with the West Surrey Regiment. His medal index card says the 24th London and then the 15th London.

Where is there a connection to the West Surrey? If you search the LLT you get West Surrey but no 24th Battalion.

Sorry if I am asking the obvious.

The 22nd and 24th battalions of the London Regiment were affiliated to the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment and wore the same cap badge in brass. The 21st and 23rd battalions of the London Regiment were affiliated to the East Surrey Regiment. Other battalions of the London Regiment had similar "parent regiments" particularly the rifle battalions who had either the KRRC or the Rifle Brigade as their affiliated regiments.