Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Able Seaman James Breddy died Oct 1918

dorrie

I am having difficluty tracing where the above was buried or commemorated. Cannot find him on CWGC. Anybody out there with any information

Thanks

Tim

What info do you have for him being an Able Seaman and October 1918 for date of death?

If he was part of a ships crew, he may have been buried at sea.

Do you know what ship he served in?

This is the only chap I could find, if the surname is correct.

It's a fairly unusual one, and even mistaken versions such as "Preddy" etc don't turn up any Navy men in that time period 1st to 31st Oct 1918.

Name: BREDDY

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Wiltshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 12/07/1917

Service No: 26906

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Elizabeth Breddy, of 19, Spital Hill, Retford.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: New portion. A.J. 184.

Cemetery: EAST RETFORD CEMETERY

The only RN

Name: BREDDY, GILBERT

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Vixen"

Date of Death: 21/11/1918

Service No: K/11187

Additional information: Son of Eliza Breddy, of 33, Balaclava Rd., Fishponds, Bristol, and the late George Breddy.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 1996.

Cemetery: BRISTOL (RIDGEWAY PARK) CEMETERY

just seen poppys post and earlier thread.

This chap fits the details of "James" with an (b)oiler blowback which a stoker might be involved in.....

Sorry had him down as Able seaman he was in fact a Stoker below is the in formation I have on him partly taken from local paper

Stoker James Breddy died September 29th 1918

News reached Retford in October 1918 of the death of James Breddy, a stoker in the Royal Navy. His mother was informed that he had died whilst on board a Lighter. One of his jobs would have been to light the boilers for the engine. It was whilst doing this that the engine exploded covering him in hot paraffin from a blow torch he was using to light the engine. This caught fire causing extensive burns. Stoker Breddy was transported to a hospital ship where he received “ the best possible attention and most skilful medical and nursing treatment.” . Unfortunately the wounds were so severe that James Breddy died. The Retford Times reports that he was buried a “little English Cemetery abroad among the noble dead who like him , had been called to give their lives for their country” following a full Naval Ceremony.

The J Breddy refreed to in post above was his brother in fact four brother died in Great War, Ernest, John, William and the elusive James

thank Tim

• 3 weeks later...

This thread MAY belong in Non-Coms. I'm sure someone there will be able to advise regarding his entitlement to CWGC commemoration.

On the face of it, he stands a good chance. I try and stay well away from Navy men if I can help it, I can't be asked getting involved with those retards down in Portsmouth at the Naval Historical Branch.

Chris Harley is the right man to determine case.

The only Breddy on Naval GRO is Gilbert listed above

Chris

Hi.

Could he have been mistakenly recorded as BRADY?

http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=625981

BRADY, J, Stoker 1st Class, RN, HMS Europa, d. 28/09/1918, EAST MUDROS MILITARY CEMETERY

The date of death almost matches. HMS Europa seems to have been a cruiser but he could have been on a lighter at the time of the accident. Mudros kind of ties in with the newspaper report that he was buried in a little English Cemetery abroad.

regards,

Martin

p.s. Here's his service record. Born in Retford!

http://www.nationala...1&resultcount=1