Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Movements of 7th Batt Northants Regiment on 25 Mar 1918

Guest DavidGWest

Guest DavidGWest

I'm trying to find out a bit more about my great uncle; Horace Brawn (13230) 7th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. I've inherited his photo in uniform and his medals, and have found his records on Ancestry. I wanted to find out a bit more about where the 7th Battalion was in the days leading up to his death on 25th Mar 1918. Also, grateful for any info on which Company he may have been in and group photos anybody may have of the 7th prior to Mar 1918.

Happy to share what I have on Horace Brawn if anybody is interested.

Thanks.

Dave.

Brawn,Horace PTE.

Army no 13230.

7th BN

date Killed 25/03/1918

Cemetery- POZIERES Memorial.

Grave ref - panel 54 to 56

France the Somme

I think this is Him.

here is a link http://www.1914-1918.net/northants.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/24div.htm

Cheers IanAnder

Hello Dave.

As you may know, the British Army were forced into retreat by a major German offensive (Operation Michael) on 21 March 1918. The Army and the 7th Northamptons withdrew by stages back across the battlefield, in what was one of the most fluid times of the war since 1914.

The battalion history by Captain H. B. King states the following:

Towards the end of February orders were issued that the Cavalry Corps would relieve the 24th Division in the line, and that on relief the Division was to proceed back to the neighbourhood of Amiens, and that the 73rd Infantry Brigade were to be billeted round Boves. On February 28th advance parties left for this area under the Staff Captain, 73rd Infantry Brigade (Captain H. W. W. Hills, Royal Fusiliers), but soon after this party had left, orders were received that, in view of the threatened attack, the 24th Division would not be relieved. This order was a great blow to the Division, which had not been out of the line since July last, and which had been kept very busy for the last few months on working parties and the like.

At the beginning of March it became evident that the German offensive would soon commence, and the 7th Northamptons were held in Corps Reserve at Hancourt. Almost daily reports were received that the attack would take place next morning. The battalion was under orders to be ready to move off anywhere in half an hour, and thus the men were kept in or near their camp when not engaged on working parties. The battle stations allotted to the 7th Northamptons consisted of four so-called redoubts between the villages of Jeancourt and Vendelles.

These positions, situated on high ground, were very exposed to artillery fire, and being little more than scrapings in the ground about 3 feet deep, afforded no cover of any sort. On March 20th the Commanding Officer and a party of officers reconnoitred these positions, and in view of a special report that had been received, the battalion spent the night of March 20th-21st in especial readiness to move up in support.

Lieutenant-Colonel S. S. Hayne had been commanding the battalion for some time now, as Lieutenant-Colonel D. W. Powell had been transferred to England. Captain A. W. Heaton had left the battalion in January to be attached to the 73rd Infantry Brigade Headquarters, and 2nd-Lieutenant A. E. Barton was acting Adjutant, and Captain N. H. Mattock was acting Second-in-Command.

CHAPTER XIV

MARCH, 1918

AT about 4.30 a.m. on March 21st the noise of a heavy bombardment could be heard at Hancourt, and it was evident that the offensive had opened. At 5.40 a.m. the battalion received orders to "stand to," and move up to their battle stations. Well within the half-hour allotted the last company had moved off, and was soon in position, with Battalion Headquarters in a dug-out in Jeancourt.

The battalion, disposed in I he four redoubts, was in support of the 17th Infantry Brigade, who were holding the front near Le Verguier, and also, of the right of the 60th Division on their left. A thick fog made observation impossible, and it was exceedingly difficult to obtain accurate information of the progress of the battle.

Before long the right Hank of the 00th Division was driven back to the line held by " B " Company, 7th Northamptons, and the 17th Infantry Brigade were forced back a short way, but held on to the village of Le Verguier, the key of their front (where the 8th Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) were offering an exceedingly gallant resistance).

The night March 21st-22nd was spent in these redoubts, but as the enemy renewed his attacks next morning, again assisted by a thick mist, the 17th Infantry Brigade, about 8 a.m., were forced back, owing to their right flank being turned, and the battalion found themselves heavily engaged with the enemy at about midday.

By 1 p.m. it was obvious that the battalion, with both its flanks in the air, was in an exceedingly critical position, and a report was sent back to Brigade Head-quarters. At 1.30 p.m. the battalion, with considerable difficulty, extricated itself from its position and withdrew to Hancourt through the 50th Division.

This Division (50th) had been brought up from Corps Reserve, and had been disposed along the defensive position, known as the Green Line, along the whole Nineteenth Corps front; and as the trenches were only dug to the depth of 1 foot, and the Division had been spread along its whole length, it could not be expected that the troops would offer any protracted resistance on that line. So elongated was their front that when the battalion crossed this line between Bernes and Flechin about 2 p.m. hardly a man of the 50th Division could be seen holding the line.

After concentrating at Hancourt the battalion proceeded to Meraucourt, where, along with the remainder of the 24th Division, it passed the night. It was still hoped that the 50th Division would be able to prevent any further advance of the enemy, but early next morning (the 22nd) the battalion was ordered to take up a defensive line in front of Flez, and in the event of a further withdrawal becoming necessary, to cover the withdrawal of the 24th Division in a westerly direction. The battalion was in position by 4 a.m., and about 8 a.m. troops on the left flank could be seen withdrawing ; and soon after orders were received that the battalion, among others, would form the rear guard for the Division falling back on the line of the Somme River at Falvy.

Owing to the rapidity of the German advance and the impossibility of reinforcing the British line east of the Somme, it had been decided not to make a serious stand east of that river, but to withdraw all troops to the high ground on the western bank.

The Somme Bridge at Falvy was allotted to the 24th Division, and it was at once obvious that the successful withdrawal of a whole Division over one bridge would be an exceedingly difficult operation. Brigadier-General P. V. P. Stone, 17th Infantry Brigade, was placed in charge of the rear guard, consisting of three battalions—the 7th Northamptons, 1st North Staffords, and 3rd Rifle Brigade—and these battalions took up a line in the open country round Flez. It was essential for the success of the operation that no unit should become too heavily involved with the enemy, and yet sufficient time must be allowed to enable the remainder of the Division to cross the river.

The 1st North Staffords were sent back first, and later the 3rd Rifle Brigade, and the 7th Northamptons took over the duty of sole rear guard. The country round Flez was very open, and the enemy could be seen advancing a long way off, and his field artillery was soon in action, firing over open sights. The chief difficulty, however, was experienced from a party of the enemy with machine guns that had worked round the right flank of the battalion and was enfilading the line. Meanwhile, however, the Division had safely crossed the Somme, and Lieutenant-Colonel S. S. Hayne skilfully withdrew his battalion, too, across the river, and the bridge was destroyed. The battalion passed through the 8th Division, which had hurriedly been brought up by train and was holding the high ground west of the river, and took up a position in support.

About 8 a.m. next morning (24th) the battalion was relieved in its support line by other troops of the 8th Division, and moved back to Chaulnes, where hot meals were prepared and the troops rested. At 3 p.m. however, the battalion was again ordered forward, and took up a position between Fonches and Fonchette. The night was spent in this position, but the battalion was not in touch with the enemy. Next morning (25th) the battalion received orders to co-operate with the 8th Division on its left and some French troops on its right in a counter-attack. The battalion came in contact with the enemy east of Curchy, but, as the French had not attacked on their right, was compelled to form a defensive flank on the right. Sufficient troops were not, however, available to cover the gap now formed between the right of the battalion and the French, and thus, as the enemy had worked round this gap, the battalion was compelled to fall back on its original line between Fonches and Fonchette early in the afternoon.

The battalion was in constant contact with a greatly superior force of the enemy during the whole afternoon and succeeding night, but beat off several German patrols. The enemy was, however, in such numbers that a silent withdrawal was ordered at 3 a.m. next morning (26th) to a line between Hallu and Chaulnes, where the battalion was placed in Brigade Reserve.

The line was soon forced back to the village of Warvillers, and the battalion was once more involved with the enemy. A patrol under 2nd-Lieutenant Shaw was sent through the village of Meharicourt, and captured two of the enemy. A heavy attack was delivered at 11 p.m. by the enemy on the 9th Royal Sussex Regiment and " B " Company 7th Northamptons on their left, but this was completely repulsed. Next morning the enemy attacked the 12th Sherwood Foresters and the Division on the left heavily about 8 a.m., but the 7th Northamptons were able to enfilade this attack, and the line was restored.

Further attacks followed, and the battalion was involved in much hand-to-hand bombing, but by means of blocking trenches the battalion prevented the enemy from entering the 73rd Brigade front.

The 24th Division found itself, however, again in danger of being cut off, as both flanks were in the air, and a withdrawal was ordered to the neighbourhood of Caix. At 2 a.m. {on the 27th} the battalion withdrew through the 13th Middlesex Regiment, who were holding Warvillers Village, and reached the new line near Caix about 11.30 a.m.

I'm sure you have been through his records, so I won't repeat them here, but there were a couple of entries in local papers that may be of interest.

Northampton Mercury, 12-4-1918 - KILLED.

Brawn, Bandsman Horace F., Northants., son of Mr and Mrs W Brawn of Wellingborough, of Wellingborough (bandsmaster of Earls Barton Old Silver Band and Wollaston Band), killed March 28th while acting as a stretcher bearer; a brillant cornet player, he used to play with Wellingborough Temperance, Rushden Rifles, and Earls Barton bands; had thrice previously been wounded.

Northampton Mercury, 12-4-1918 - WOUNDED (in wrong section on same page - i.e. two entries). Brawn, Pte. H. F. (20), Northants, son of Mr W Brawn, 121 Knox Road, Wellingborough, killed; was bandmaster for Earls Barton and Wollaston; was employed by Messrs Sanders and Sanders, Rushden.

I cannot see any reference in his records as to which company he was with - in fact he seems to have been attached to 224th Employment Company of the Labour Corps from early 1917 through to early 1918, so he may even have been with them when he was killed.

Steve.

Guest Harry270
I'm trying to find out a bit more about my great uncle; Horace Brawn (13230) 7th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. I've inherited his photo in uniform and his medals, and have found his records on Ancestry. I wanted to find out a bit more about where the 7th Battalion was in the days leading up to his death on 25th Mar 1918. Also, grateful for any info on which Company he may have been in and group photos anybody may have of the 7th prior to Mar 1918.

Happy to share what I have on Horace Brawn if anybody is interested.

Thanks.

Dave.

You just need to use Fast Reply at the bottom of the page Harry.

Steve.

Guest DavidGWest
Hello Dave.

As you may know, the British Army were forced into retreat by a major German offensive (Operation Michael) on 21 March 1918. The Army and the 7th Northamptons withdrew by stages back across the battlefield, in what was one of the most fluid times of the war since 1914.

I'm sure you have been through his records, so I won't repeat them here, but there were a couple of entries in local papers that may be of interest.

Northampton Mercury, 12-4-1918 - KILLED.

Brawn, Bandsman Horace F., Northants., son of Mr and Mrs W Brawn of Wellingborough, of Wellingborough (bandsmaster of Earls Barton Old Silver Band and Wollaston Band), killed March 28th while acting as a stretcher bearer; a brillant cornet player, he used to play with Wellingborough Temperance, Rushden Rifles, and Earls Barton bands; had thrice previously been wounded.

Northampton Mercury, 12-4-1918 - WOUNDED (in wrong section on same page - i.e. two entries). Brawn, Pte. H. F. (20), Northants, son of Mr W Brawn, 121 Knox Road, Wellingborough, killed; was bandmaster for Earls Barton and Wollaston; was employed by Messrs Sanders and Sanders, Rushden.

I cannot see any reference in his records as to which company he was with - in fact he seems to have been attached to 224th Employment Company of the Labour Corps from early 1917 through to early 1918, so he may even have been with them when he was killed.

Steve.

Steve - many thanks for this extract and the paper clippings. Fantastic insight to the mayhem of withdrawal under the German offensive.

Newspaper extracts give a different date of death (28th Mar) than his offical Service Records (25th Mar), but it is definitely the same man - my Great Grandfather was the Band Master at Earls Barton. I assume the service records are more likely to be accurate about the date?

Dave.

I would go with the service record date. Dates of death/wounding were sometimes recorded when a full roll call was taken so the 28th may be that date - or I have transcribed the date wrong!

Steve.