Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

293 Siege Battery RGA

pjjobson

I have been asked to research teh movements of 293 SB RGA, throughout the war, and in particular Bernard Bromley 123257 who served as a Gunner and Lance Bombardier.

I realise he will not in all likelyhood be mentioned in the War Diary, but any information on the Battery's movements would be appreciated.

Phil

Phil,

There are two theatres for this mechanised Battery of 4 x 6 in Hows (26 cwt), raised on the Forth in Nov 1916, and therefore two war diaries survive. For the most part OR names are not mentioned in either other than the signatory Major and a few Officers, and very few place names are recorded, mostly “in the field”. They are both very poor diaries, some 20 pages for the first and only 10 covering Italy. Concentrate instead on the HAG diaries for your research. I am 99% certain he was an original member of 293.

293 first went out to the Western front on 30-3-17, one section coming under 16 HAG and th other 91 HAG. Battery complete under 49 HAG 8.6.17. To 16 HAG again 26.6.17; to 14 HAG 6.10.17; to 85 HAG 7.11.17 till 18.11.17. Then at rest and refit 19.11.17 – 17.12.17.

Italy was the second theatre, 293 going out on 18.12.17. They arrived 23.12.17 and joined 104 HAG 31.12.17. They finally joined 94 HAG 12.1.18 with no subsequent change. Personnel from 412 SB brought it upto 6 gun establishment on 24.8.17, two extra guns taken over from 391 SB (not verified). It is in this last Brigade war diary the MM awarded to him is recorded but you need to look carefully or you will miss it, for action on Jun 15 1918.

Do you have a photo of him?

Rgds Paul

I would agree with Paul that it is highly likely that he was a original member of the 293rd Sge Bty. Although I haven't seen many records for men who served with this battery there are a few who probably went with him to 21 Coy, Leith, after joining at the start of October 1916 at No.4 Depot, Clipstone Camp.

Although nothing to do with your man, there is the records available for BSM 8792 Murray, George Albert Colclough, which makes for very sad reading, who served with this battery.

Kevin

Edit; looking at his records again it would seem they were at Ewshot Camp by December 1916.

Ororkep and Kevrow

Thanks for your prompt replies, I haven't got a photo as I am conducting the research for a female relation of Bernards who nhasn't the first idea about how to research military matters!

However, I will try and get a photo and post it on here.

Phil

Phil,

As you have already said on a previous thread, "Check with Firepower, mot all the war diaries are at Kew, some are only held by the RA museum. Just back from 3 long days of explaining that to researchers at Who Do You Think You Are Live at Olympia. You can contact Firepower on research@firepower.org.uk but don't expect a reply too soon, as we will be inundated with e-mails following the show.", have you already asked whether there are any papers, diaries or photos held at Firepower regarding the 293 SB?

Is it possible to find out whether there is an inventory or catalogue of papers held? If so why doesn't the museum wish for them to be publicly known?

Kevin

Kevin

Woolwich have in their library a blue folder which lists all diaries held which are common to both Woolwich and Kew, typed in black if I remember.

Typed in red is a list held by Woowich only and the list in blue type those held only by Kew. I can't remember the exact colour codes but it's near enough.

Stuart

Stuart,

Thanks for that. At least there is a list. I just cannot remember a thread where reference was made to anything specifically held at Woolwich which may help a researcher. Many references are made, and file no.s quoted, for diaries at Kew thanks to their online catalogue. What it then costs to obtain is another matter. It just seems to me that Firepower holds just as an important resource in paper as they do in hardware, and could derive an income from it if only it was known.

Not sure whether you were able to make a list Stuart or whether you had to sign the Official Secrets Act, if you did I would be very grateful if you could email me a copy, and promise not to tell anyone..... no questions asked, all hush hush, wink wink, say no more.

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

Op-Ack/ Phil,

I have just finished reading the 354 page book ‘The reluctant Tommy’, which was only published last month. It concerns the story of a Bdr Ronald SKIRTH who suffered a mental breakdown from Shell shock after serving on the Western Front, and later in Italy. Some may recognise the name from a chapter of the book ‘Casualty Figures’ published two years earlier, based on deposited files at the IWM. He is shown as serving with 239 SB, but you and your client may not be aware his correct battery in both theatres was actually 293 SB.

Some rather damaging claims are made in the book that may concern your research and in particular actions on the 15.6.1918. It adds a fascinating twist to this thread.

Rgds Paul

PS Very difficult to find this mans mic, but it is there.

PPS The reason I enquired if you had a photograph of Bromley, was because if you do not, I may have.

Paul

Thanks for that information, I will pass it on to my client. She does have a photo of Bromley, but thanks for the offer.

Phil