Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Kingsley Hall, help needed please!

mari

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help me please. I'm trying to locate the service records of Alfred Kingsley Hall, I have found his medal card on Ancestry, and it gives the following information, Alfred Kingsley Hall, reg. no. 1007 1007, 1st. SMRE RAF no.9, Edmonton ARD London Nig. Also the British Star Medal was awarded, but the rest is really difficult to make out. Alfred was born 5th October 1887 in Westbury Wiltshire, Son of Alfred Pocock Hall and Melinda Gifford Cleverley. In 1911 he was a Maltser forman, living with his parents in the Fishponds district of Bristol. In 1923 he married Thelma Marguerite M Marsh in Bristol district. Alfred's Son is now in his late eighties, and has always longed to know about his Father's war years, as he would never discuss it with anyone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Hi Mari

Looking at his Mic it is a bit of a mix, but he was (1st)--1007 Corporal Alfred Kingsley Hall Royal Engineers ( looks to be I.S.M.R.E.)and then up to Lieutenant Colonel in the R.A.F.

his 14/15 star should have his R.E.rank and number. I think his BWM and Victory may be RFC.

Gary.

Is this your man itching to get back into the fray?

MAY 7TH, 1942 FLIGHT 401

Correspondence

The Editor does not hold himself responsible for the views expressed by correspondents. The names and addresses of the writers,

not necessarily for publication, must in all cases accompany letters.

HOME GUARD AIR ARM

Air Force Blue Battledress ?

I READ with interest the letter by " 1926 A Licence " in your

issue of April 16th, and am in favour of his suggestions

regarding the proposed Home Guard Air Arm.

In my opinion, the idea should be carried a stage farther, so

as to include men with experience of ground duties, particularly

those with R.A.F. Service who have been discharged. It

may even be possible for such men, in their spare time, to

serve as ground staff on R.A.F. Stations and also to supplement

existing personnel engaged on airdrome defence, transport,

etc.

**-As to uniform, I would suggest an Air Force Blue battledress

with distinguishing badge and usual indications of lank.

. ALFRED K. HALL.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%200997.html

Alfred Kingsley Hall, entered France as a Sapper on 16th December 1914 and if I read it correctly joined his unit on 21st December 1914. This might also have been when he was promoted to Second Corporal as noted on the card. Possibly someone in the soldiers sub forum will know which unit 1 S.M. of the Royal Engineers was. The medal roll referred to is at Kew WO 329/2590 Royal Engineers other ranks: medal rolls RE/22B; RE/22B1; RE/22B2; RE/22B3; RE/22B4; RE/22B5; RE/22B6; RE/22B7; RE/22B8; RE/22B-15. Pages 5501-5840; Restoration (1-12). This was for his 1914-15 Star.

He was commissioned on 16th April 1916, there should be entries in the London Gazette for this and his promotions, it may also should show when he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps. His army officer's records are a standard army search. The last rank he held in a qualifying theatre of war was Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Air Force; his British War and Victory Medals were issued by the Air Ministry (A/Min. on the card). On 4 February 1919 I think he was at no.9 Area Repair Depot, Edmonton in London, post code N9, when his claim for the 1914/15 Star was forwarded. His Royal Air Force Officers’ Service Record is online:

Name Hall, Alfred Kingsley, Date of birth: 05 October 1887

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

The letter in Flight may indicate that he was an Equipment Officer.

Alfred Kingsley Hall, entered France as a Sapper on 16th December 1914 and if I read it correctly joined his unit on 21st December 1914. This might also have been when he was promoted to Second Corporal as noted on the card. Possibly someone in the soldiers sub forum will know which unit 1 S.M. of the Royal Engineers was. The medal roll referred to is at Kew WO 329/2590 Royal Engineers other ranks: medal rolls RE/22B; RE/22B1; RE/22B2; RE/22B3; RE/22B4; RE/22B5; RE/22B6; RE/22B7; RE/22B8; RE/22B-15. Pages 5501-5840; Restoration (1-12). This was for his 1914-15 Star.

He was commissioned on 16th April 1916, there should be entries in the London Gazette for this and his promotions, it may also should show when he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps. His army officer's records are a standard army search. The last rank he held in a qualifying theatre of war was Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Air Force; his British War and Victory Medals were issued by the Air Ministry (A/Min. on the card). On 4 February 1919 I think he was at no.9 Area Repair Depot, Edmonton in London, post code N9, when his claim for the 1914/15 Star was forwarded. His Royal Air Force Officers' Service Record is online:

Name Hall, Alfred Kingsley, Date of birth: 05 October 1887

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

The letter in Flight may indicate that he was an Equipment Officer.

Thank you so much for all of this wonderful information, you have been so kind, and I really appreciate your time. I am now going to order Alfred's Service records! I would never have found this without all of you wondeful people.

Try posting the question in the Soldiers section - might get some more information on your man

Grant

• 3 years later...

Possibly someone in the soldiers sub forum will know which unit 1 S.M. of the Royal Engineers was.

1st South Midland RE part of the 48th (1st South Midland) Division - a Territorial division. The REs were based in Bristol I believe, but the South Midland Divisions comprised territorials from several counties - including Berkshire (my area).

I found this thread doing a search for SMRE having just been shown a unit photograph (one of those coiled photos familiar from my schooldays) - of the 3rd Line Unit SMRE. The grandfather of the lady who has the photo started his war service with the 3/SMRE before being transferred to the Middlesex Rgt Pioneers.

Mari

From various issues of the London Gazette, a summary of his RFC/RAF career is:

2nd Corpl. Alfred Kingsley Hall, transferred for duty with the RFC from the R.E., T.F., and appointed a temp. 2nd Lt, 16 April 1916

Temp. 2nd Lt. A. K. Hall, Gen. List, was appointed an Assistant Equipment Officer on 1 August 1916.

Temp. 2nd Lt. A. K. Hall, Gen. List - Equipment Officer, 2nd Class, from the 3rd Class, and to be temporary Lieutenant whilst so employed, 1 December 1916

Temp. Lt. A. K. Hall, Gen. List - Equipment Officers, 1st Class from the 2nd Class, and to be temp. Captain whilst so employed 1 January 1917

Temp. Capt. A. K. Hall, Gen. List, from an Equipment Officer 1st Class to be a Park Commander and to be temporary Major whilst so employed, 1 June 1917.

Capt. (temp. Major) A. K. Hall to be temp. Lt.-Col. whilst employed as Lt.-Col., 1st May 1918.

As per the London Gazette of 1 January 1919, Major (A./Lt.-Col.) Alfred Kingsley Hall was made an Officer of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

Major A K Hall OBE was transferred to the unemployed list on 30 April 1919.

Graeme