Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New memorial at Gallipoli

Michael Pegum

On Wednesday, 24th March, Mary McAleese, President of Ireland, is to unveil the foundation stone for a new memorial to all the Irish who died at Gallipoli and, in particular, the 10th Division. It will be in Green Hill Cemetery, and I will post photos when I get back.

Michael

Michael

Please make yourself known

I hope to be there as a 'country' member of the RDFA

& I'll look-out for the camerman

Keep an eye on the weather http://www.foreca.com/Turkey/Eceabat?details=20100324

Michael

My group (travelling with GTI) are meeting with the RDFA on Tuesday evening. See you there. Yahoo Weather says it should be dry until Wednesday, with rain on Thursday, so I'll plan like for a holiday in Ireland - sunglasses and raincoat!

Michael

My group (travelling with GTI) are meeting with the RDFA on Tuesday evening. See you there.

My advance party left today and I join them tomorrow.

24 hrs from now we should be having an Effes with that well known Belgian hotelier and local rep for The Connaught Rangers, Eric 'The Plummed Goose'

I'm not too sure about the timetable after that, but will enjoy meeting up whenever that may be

Safe journey and Happy landings

Michael

As promised, here is the new memorial which was unveiled by President McAleese. In the photo are:

The Military Attaché to the British embassy in Turkey (whose name I don't have), Ms Carol Walker, Director of the Somme Association (which initiated the memorial), President Mary McAleese, Lt. Col. P. A. J. Walker, C.O., 2nd Btn the Royal Irish Regiment and Dr. Martin McAleese.

Michael

post-3328-1269713257.jpg

And here is the memorial plaque:

post-3328-1269713372.jpg

Michael

Please make yourself known

Michael

And this is to show that we did meet (but at V Beach); michaeldr on the left.

post-3328-1269713472.jpg

Michael,

It was great to meet you (and your good lady, who kindly took the above picture for us).

I only got back yesterday and have not yet sorted out my photographs

When time allows, I will add any that may supplement your excellent shots above

with best regards

Michael

Many thanks for the photos lads. Looks like a good job well done.

When time allows, I will add any that may supplement your excellent shots above

Oops!

24hrs non-stop traveling by car, coach, taxis & 'plane must be catching-up with me

I now realize that I have added my photographs to this thread here

best regards

Michael

Oops!

24hrs non-stop traveling by car, coach, taxis & 'plane must be catching-up with me

I now realize that I have added my photographs to this thread here

I'm off to bed now to try and catch up on some sleep

but before I go (and after the Act of Remembrance linked to above)

a last photograph to supplement those excellent shots of Michael's

HEMaryMcAleesethemomentofthememoria.jpg

... ... ... ... ... ... ...

The recently arrived RDFA journal 'The Blue Cap' allows me to add here the names of the stalwart trio of standard bearers, who added so much to the proceedings back in March 2010; the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association standard was carried by Niall Leinster, that of the 10th (Irish) Division by John Moore and the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association standard was carried by Capt. (rtd) Seamus Green.

Edited by michaeldr

• 6 months later...

A postscript to Michael Pegum's thread

I have just received my latest copy of the journal of the RDFA, 'The Blue Cap,' and can add a little more to the account of the great happenings on Gallipoli back in March 2010

In the photograph above you will see behind the pillar supporting the new plaque and in front of the standard bearers, there are four small saplings. These were planted the day before H.E. President McAllees unveiled the memorial, by another visitor, H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester KG., GCVO. The four myrtle trees represent the four provinces of Ireland from which the soldiers of the 10th (Irish) Division came, and H.R.H. planted them in his capacity as the President of the Somme Association. It seems that The Somme Association was the driving force behind the new memorial and the RDFA happily joined them in the project back in 2005, by making a donation of €1,000 towards the costs. While at Green Hill Cemetery the Duke of Gloucester also laid a wreath with this card attached

RoyalCardInrespectfulmemoryRichard-1.jpg

• 3 years later...