Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Arthur Naylor Northumberland Fusiliers

airton

Hi Trying to find details of James Arthur Naylor from Leeds Who Joined the Northumberland Fusiliers in 1914 when he was 16 .He was captured and Told stories of having to go and recover wounded German soldiers whilst under fire .Is this likely to be true and has anybody details of information relating to this soldier.

Hi Trying to find details of James Arthur Naylor from Leeds Who Joined the Northumberland Fusiliers in 1914 when he was 16 .He was captured and Told stories of having to go and recover wounded German soldiers whilst under fire .Is this likely to be true and has anybody details of information relating to this soldier.

Service number 66388. Unfortunately doesn't look like his records have survived?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Service number 66388. Unfortunately doesn't look like his records have survived?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Hello ,thanks for that but I have found him as James Naylor showing West Yorkshire Regiment 3/10317Pte,then Northumberland Fusiliers A/cpl No 54124 and date of 5/1/15 France. Why would he enlist in one regiment and be transfered to another ?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Further information,James Naylor was born in Bramley near Leeds and joined West Yorkshire Regiments as Pte No 3/10317.He must have been transfered to Northumberland Fusiliers at some point No 54124 as acting Cpl in charge of the Lewis gun .went to France 5/1/15 and presume would be 50th Northumbrian Division 149th Brigade ? Is it possible to find out when he was captured ?

Thanks.

51424 Pte James Naylor wouldn't have gone to France with the NF in January 1915 as that number is a late transfer number to the NF. Had he been in the NF that early on he would have had a Territorial four figure number replaced with a six figure one in 1917.

However he does appear to be serving with the 1/6th Bn, NF in 1918, which would give him the strong possibility of being captured serving with them during the 1918 German Offensives in which 50th Division suffered very badly.

51424 Pte James Naylor wouldn't have gone to France with the NF in January 1915 as that number is a late transfer number to the NF. Had he been in the NF that early on he would have had a Territorial four figure number replaced with a six figure one in 1917.

However he does appear to be serving with the 1/6th Bn, NF in 1918, which would give him the strong possibility of being captured serving with them during the 1918 German Offensives in which 50th Division suffered very badly.

Well thanks for that information,he must have gone to France as Pte 3/10317 West Yorkshire Regiment on 5/1/15 and been transfered with his Lewis gun at a later date. Have you information of him serving with the NF in 1918.

Currently no more than what I've posted and that came from the Leeds Absent Voters List, so I just hope it's the correct James Arthur Naylor. I tried to see if I could pinpoint him more accurately through the Medal Index Cards, which oddly enough said that no "Naylor's" were serving in the NF, which is of course untrue.

Currently no more than what I've posted and that came from the Leeds Absent Voters List, so I just hope it's the correct James Arthur Naylor. I tried to see if I could pinpoint him more accurately through the Medal Index Cards, which oddly enough said that no "Naylor's" were serving in the NF, which is of course untrue.

Well thankyou for your help ,I think I have the right Naylor as he joined when he was under age in 1914 ,came from Bramley .Would help if I could find records of him being captured .

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just wondering if there is a possibility of finding out where my grandad (James Arthur Naylor) was serving - my dad thinks he was at Ypres and where he was in concentration camp? Any help would be much appreciated