Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cartlidge Gnr R RFA

archangel9

Hi,

Cartlidge Gnr R. RFA (NoK from Hanley) was reported killed in Dublin during the Easter Rising in "1916 Rebellion Handbook" first published in 1916.

I can't find a match or near match on CWGC.

Anyone help to identify this man and his unit? And was he killed in Dublin?

Cheers.

John

Only one candidate on the Medal Index Cards:-

Dvr Reginald Cartlidge RFA 806173

His rank would suggest it wasnt him and would confirm that the casualty in Dublin did not serve overseas.

Cant find him on CWGC even with Geoffs Search engine

Soldiers died has a Leonard Cartlidge of Hanley killed 1 July 1916 so Hanley looks okay for the name Cartlidge. The 1901 Census gives a Rowland Cartlidge of Hanley aged 13 - could be your man.

Mark

Yeah I tried Geoffs too with a spread of dates during 1916 and also for all RFA casualties during the same period. Nothing even close.

John

I am researching soldiers KIA in the 1916 Rising and had no luck finding Cartlidge. Although the Sinn Fein Handbook is an excellent reference there are a few errors, misspelled names, KIAs list as wounded and some KIAs not listed. I suspect Cartlidge may have been wounded but listed as KIA. The only Cartlidge I could find in the MICs was 806173.

Units from the 295th 296th 297th and 298th served with 178th Infantry Brigade 2nd Notts and Derby under the command of Coronal E.W.S.K. Maconchy. The Sherwood Foresters did see a lot of action during the week of the Rising including the bloodiest battle of the Rising at Mount Street Bridge. I have the list of KIAs on my website.

www.irishmedals.org

Found Gnr Cartlidge in the Times of 16 June 1916. So he was wounded not killed:-

post-6633-1268471393.jpg

No Medal Index Card for him so possibly indicates seriously wounded?

Mark

While I'm searching the Times, I looked for a few more lists.

Here is the Officers killed and wounded listed on 1 May 1916. I wonder does it match the 1916 Handbook?

post-6633-1268472047.jpg

And two more:-

post-6633-1268472314.jpg

post-6633-1268472325.jpg

There are a few more lists of casualties from Dublin for the May/June period with a few hundred casualties on them.

Mark

A few more other rank casualties including some more RFA which might help identify Cartlidge's exact unit?

post-6633-1268473241.jpg

Comparing this with the 1916 Handbook confirms all the RFA artillery names match with both sources combining together nicely to give a little bit extra information.

post-6633-1268473584.jpg

One of the RFA wounded Elijah Pepper has an MIC giving his unit has 5a Reserve Brigade RFA, enlisted 3/9/1914 and discharged 14/5/1917 on grounds of "Wounds Para 392 XVI (Ireland) KR" confirming the Ireland conection.

Mark

Units from the 295th 296th 297th and 298th

Do you know if these artillery units were in action in Dublin? I would be interested in reading any accounts. I realise that there is no official history of the 59th Division which is a pity.

Cheers

John

EDIT - I am going to send you a PM on the subject of the Connaught Rangers Mutineers which you might find useful.

Mark,

You have been very busy on this topic :D Thanks for all the information, much appreciated. It certainly looks like Cartlidge Gnr R. RFA (NoK from Hanley) was Rowland Cartlidge, and that he was wounded, not killed, badly enough not to see any further active service.

Cheers.

John

Do you know if these artillery units were in action in Dublin? I would be interested in reading any accounts. I realise that there is no official history of the 59th Division which is a pity.

Cheers

John

EDIT - I am going to send you a PM on the subject of the Connaught Rangers Mutineers which you might find useful.

Hi,

Unfortunately there is very little information on what the RFA did during the Rising. The page on my website 'British Regiments in Ireland 1916' lists all the Regiments and Corps I could find who took part. Most of the accounts of the fighting are written by the Rebels and give little or no information on the Regiments or Corps they were fighting. Units from any RFA Brigade could mean anything from 1 to 1000 men. Judging from the amount of RFA causalities, 1 KIA who wasn't KIA and 3 others it would appear they saw little action.

At the moment I am researching KIAs but if I find anything relating to the RFA I will pass it on to you. Quotes below from the Sinn Fein Handbook

'He has informed me that at a conference

with you it was decided to despatch at nco

two infantry brigades of the 59th Division

from England to Ireland, and that the remaining

infantry brigade and artillery of this

Division were to be held in readiness to follow

if required.'

'During the day' the 4th Royal Dublin

Fusiliers from Temolemore. a romnosite Ulster

battalion from Belfast and a battery of four

18 pounder guns from the Reserve Artillery

Brigade at Athlone arrived, and this allowed

a cordon to be established round the northern

part of the city from Parkgate, along the

North Circular road to North Wall. Broadetone

Railway Station was cleared of rebels,

and a barricade near Phibsborough was destroyed

by artillery fire.'

Soldiers died has a Leonard Cartlidge of Hanley killed 1 July 1916 so Hanley looks okay for the name Cartlidge. The 1901 Census gives a Rowland Cartlidge of Hanley aged 13 - could be your man.

Mark

there are 3 Cartlidge's on the Hanley Roll of Honour :

http://www.exploringthepotteries.org.uk/No...ey_names_cd.htm

The 13 year old Rowland Cartlidge has 2 family tree entries on Ancestry showing he emigrated to the USA in Feb 1914, US WW1 Draft card 1917/18, died in Florida 1966. However, there is another older Rowland (age 24) on the same census sheet who has been indexed in Ancestry as Zowland.

There is a pension record on Ancestry for a George Cartlidge from Hanley. He appears to be the brother of the above mentioned Leonard.

Thanks very much for the information BLee and johnny.

John