Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The National Registration Act

Skipman

From the Long Long Trail

" The government passed the National Registration Act on 15 July 1915 as a step towards stimulating recruitment and to discover how many men between the ages of 15 and 65 were engaged in each trade. All those in this age range who were not already in the military were obliged to register, giving details of their employment details. The results of this census became available by mid-September 1915: it showed there were almost 5 million males of military age who were not in the forces, of which 1.6m were in the "starred" (protected, high skill) jobs. "

Were any records of this census kept, is there an archive of these men and their employment details?

Mike

Hi Mike

I understand that according to the Act, the register was to be kept only for the duration of the war and it was regarded as too costly. I wonder if some records are hidden away in a Town Hall basement somewhere. They were kept in boxes of 3000!!!!!

Regards Barry

Mike,
I know it's of little help but I've got my Aunt's Original Card,authenticated by the Town Clerk of Haddington.
Even in 1915,Scotland,had to be underlined.
P.M. me,if you want to see what the Card looked like.
George

QUOTE (dycer @ Mar 1 2010, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mike,
I know it's of little help but I've got my Aunt's Original Card,authenticated by the Town Clerk of Haddington.
Even in 1915,Scotland,had to be underlined.
P.M. me,if you want to see what the Card looked like.
George

Thanks George, pm on way soon. 2:18 AM, don't you sleep?

Mike,
Card and Ration Book should be in your in-box
Can't sleep,have to be on my toes to answer your queries.
George

QUOTE (dycer @ Mar 1 2010, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mike,
Card and Ration Book should be in your in-box Received, many thanks.

Can't sleep,have to be on my toes to answer your queries. I have more, questions than answers ( cue for a song )
George

Many thanks too, for permission to post these very interesting items.

iwi4pj.jpg335b0n8.jpg

Cheers Mike

Thanks for that Skipman,

Does anyone know if the act applied to Ireland?

Thanks

Isadore

Thanks for that Skipman,

Does anyone know if the act applied to Ireland?

Thanks

Isadore

Hi Isadore. I think Ireland was exempt: From the Long Long Trail

The Military Service Act 1916 and recruitment by Class

Disappointed at the results of the Derby Scheme, the Government introduced the Military Service Act on 27 January 1916. All voluntary enlistment was stopped. All British males were now deemed to have enlisted - that is, they were conscripted - if they were aged between 18 and 41 and resided in Great Britain (excluding Ireland) and were unmarried or a widower on 2 November 1915. Conscripted men were no longer given a choice of which service, regiment or unit they joined, although if a man preferred the navy it got priority to take him. This act was extended to married men on 25 May 1916.

Cheers Mike