Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

everard wyrall

Medalface

hello,

i am new to asking questions on the forum, i have such a lot of information on everard wyrall, but what i am lacking is a picture of him, it seems he may be a member of our family.

whilst doing the tree i came accross his divorce papers military record for the boer war ww1 and india, but sadly no pictures of him, anyone help please. i am willing to share my information. thank you medalface

hello,

i am new to asking questions on the forum, i have such a lot of information on everard wyrall, but what i am lacking is a picture of him, it seems he may be a member of our family.

whilst doing the tree i came accross his divorce papers military record for the boer war ww1 and india, but sadly no pictures of him, anyone help please. i am willing to share my information. thank you medalface

Welcome to the forum,

While it's quite an uncommon name I'm sure that it would help if you could at least tell us which regiment(s?) that he served with.

Regards

T_T

Welcome to the forum,

While it's quite an uncommon name I'm sure that it would help if you could at least tell us which regiment(s?) that he served with.

Regards

T_T

hi tt,

hi tt,

he was in the 78 yeomanry rough riders and in the army service corps in ww1 served in india.

i would love to get a picture of him.medalface

Was he a Lieutenant in the Royal Army Service Corps?

Is he the military historian Everard Wyrall?

tt, yes i have so much on him but no picture.

I'm sure you know all this already, but it may be of interest to anyone else reading this thread.

India General Service 1908-35, G.V.R., three clasps,

Afghanistan N.W.F. 1919, Mahsud 1919-20, Wazirstan

1919-21 (Lieut. E. Wyrall. S & T. CPS.), nearly extremely

fine Estimate £200-250

Lieutenant Reginal Everard Wyrall (1878-1933), educated

privately at Ryde House, Ripley and Schorne College; served in the

South African War, 1899-1902; Wyrall voluntarily donned rags and

went into the casual wards of Workhouses, breaking stones and

picking oakum, in order to report on State treatment of ‘downand-

outs’, his investigations were published in the Daily Express,

1908; served during the Great War and was commissioned

Temporary Second Lieutenant Royal Army Service Corps,

26.10.1916; after further service on the North West Frontier Wyrall

went on to become a military historian and author of note, writing

under the name of ‘Everard Wyrall’, his publications include: A

Concise History of the War; History of the Second Division, 1914-

18, 2 vols; History of the West Yorkshire Regiment 1914-18, 2 vols;

History of the 62nd (W.R.) Division, 1914-18, 2 vols; History of the

Somerset Light Infantry, 1914-18; The Die Hards in the Great War;

History of the 30th (How.) Battery, R.F.A., 1914-18; The East

Yorkshire Regiment in the Great, 1914-18; The King’s Regiment in

the Great War; The Lincolnshire Regiment in the War, 1914-18;

The Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry, 1914-18; The

Gloucestershire Regiment, 1914-18; The 19th Division, 1914-18;

The 17th Royal Fusiliers, 1914-19.

Unfortunately no photos of his medals (or of the man himself)

http://www.spink.com/auctions/pdf/8010%20Medals%20pages.pdf

tt, thanks yes i have that, medals awarded, qsa, ww1 war medal (claimed by his wife on divorce) india general service medal 3 clasps (this medal i have).

i am sure a picture of him exists he wrote so many books and articles .i shall keep trying though thanks medalface

Lieutenant Reginal Everard Wyrall (1878-1933), educated privately at Ryde House, Ripley and Schorne College

Have you tried contacting any of these to see if his photo is amongst the "Old Boys"?

tt, thanks yes i have that, medals awarded, qsa, ww1 war medal (claimed by his wife on divorce) india general service medal 3 clasps (this medal i have).

i am sure a picture of him exists he wrote so many books and articles .i shall keep trying though thanks medalface

hi,

thank you i have tried to find out if the college is still going but to no avail.cant seem to get a link up. medalface

It's a long shot, but the local newspaper covering the place where he spent his last years may have published a photograph if it announced his death in 1933. If so, you may not be able to obtain a very good copy, but at least you'll have an idea of what he looked like in his early fifties.

Moonraker

hi,

thank you i have tried to find out if the college is still going but to no avail.cant seem to get a link up. medalface

If the colleges have ceased to exist it is possible that their records, including Rolls of Honour have been passed to County Record Offices. Old Boys Associations can be worth contacting if you can get details.

Peridot

• 4 years later...
Guest Johntewkesbury

Wyrall, Reginald Everard, was a professional author, journalist and military historian who was born in 1878, in Cheltenham, son of photographic artist Charles Wyrall. He rarely used his first name. In 1911 he was registered just as Everard and was an unmarried Journalist living at 1 Plowden Buildings, Temple E London He had a fair amount of military service behind him, serving in the Boer War and then WW1 as a 2Lt. in the ASC. As he only won the two standard medals, we can assume that he did not serve on the Western Front or Gallipoli before 1916. However, he participated in the Third Afghan War, 1919.

He owned and edited the first photographic magazine to be published in South Africa and also worked as a sub-editor in Fleet Street [presumably in 1911]. He had a strong social conscience and voluntarily entered workhouses, broke stones and picked oakum, in order to see at first hand, how the State treated the very poor. The results of his investigations were published in the Daily Express in 1908. He also carried out investigative work into charitable organisations. One of his hobbies was study of the Great War. The Gloucestershire Regiment in the War, 1914-1918 was first published in 1931 by Methuen. I notice that he also wrote up the History of the West Yorkshire Regiment

I was interested, when I read The Gloucestershire Regiment, to decide on his point of view which I have now decided as that of a journalist rather than active participant; he certainly defends Haig on the Somme. I was disappointed that he ignored the roles of the Kitchener Battalions in the War – even the 9th in Salonika which I felt took a disproportionate part of the book.

I, therefore, checked out the photograph of Field Marshal George Francis Milne, who wrote the Foreword. I learned that he was Commander of the 27th Division which contained the 2nd Gloucesters from 1915 and was the British officer commanding troops in Salonika from 1916-1918!

Wyrall died in 1932, aged 54, soon after publishing the Gloucesters’ biography.

No photograph though!