Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private George Andrews - KIA 31 August 1918

Verrico2009

A friend has just started researching her family and her mother handed her an old box of photos and papers (wildly jealous - still trying to track down our very old family photos). Amongst them was the photo of this gentleman, her great-grandmother's brother-in-law. It was kept in the envelope containing notification of his death, a note from the King and finally an undated, handwritten note giving details of where he was buried (which seems to have been a draft, as it concludes "PS Kindly send this Elsie"!). All in all, very poignant. I've not seen these before.

I am going to look for his MIC, check SDWG and see if any service papers survive, but if anyone is an authority on the King's Liverpool and the 13th in particular, I would be very grateful to hear any details.

[Edited to add: can't find any trace of service records, so suggestions for any other areas I could research much appreciated]

post-49061-1265050544.jpg

In case you have not found the CWGC entry, here it is:

Casualty Details

Name: ANDREWS

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: 13th Bn.

Date of Death: 31/08/1918

Service No: 49561

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 35.

Cemetery: ECOUST-ST. MEIN BRITISH CEMETERY

No address is given, unfortunately. His name is not on the Roll of Honour in Liverpool's Town Hall, but that is far from being a complete record.

D

Just a brief observation.

It looks as if he was a bandsman, you can just make out a brass instrument being held behind him, as well as what appears to be some kind of flute (Edit: Doh!! Just looked again and they must be drumsticks as he appears to be wearing a snare drum leg protector...) he is holding. Might be a clue to locating other Kings Regt Band photos....

Men with similar Service Numbers are recorded in CWGC from about March 1917, so a little earlier might have been when he arrived in France. Might give some help to others....

In case you have not found the CWGC entry, here it is...

No address is given, unfortunately. His name is not on the Roll of Honour in Liverpool's Town Hall, but that is far from being a complete record.

D

Thanks, Daggers - I've used the details to request a photo and I believe one will be on its way shortly.

Unfortunately no address on the letters held by his family, but it may surface in the papers his great-niece has inherited: she has yet to go through them.

Just a brief observation.

It looks as if he was a bandsman, you can just make out a brass instrument being held behind him, as well as what appears to be some kind of flute (Edit: Doh!! Just looked again and they must be drumsticks as he appears to be wearing a snare drum leg protector...) he is holding. Might be a clue to locating other Kings Regt Band photos....

Men with similar Service Numbers are recorded in CWGC from about March 1917, so a little earlier might have been when he arrived in France. Might give some help to others....

Thanks, Kevin - I think you're right: I had noticed the instrument behind him (and commented on it to the effect that it would be fantastic to locate the full photo) but hadn't looked twice at what he was holding, thinking it was an ordinary stick. But you are, of course, correct and it's clearly drumsticks on closer examination. I can also see what you mean about the leg protector.

• 8 months later...