Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early Service Dress shoulder straps

tocemma

Joe,

I wonder if you could shed some light on these early pattern khaki SD shoulder straps. It would appear they are numbered patterns and I wonder if they might be trials versions. I cannot for the life of me remember where or when I acquired them.

The first pair is of a very high quality wool, either saxony serge or melton, I would imagine. They have the red worsted tape loop which I understand signified Infantry. Thy are rather like German shoulder straps in construction ie a tab which engages with a loop on the jacket and then buttons through to fasten. They are very nicely marked on the back W /i\ D No2. Do you know anything about the time frame for these Joe?

post-7141-1264777588.jpg Front view

post-7141-1264778387.jpg Rear view showing tab and markings

The second type, a bit moth eaten this one, is marked on the back'3', both on the tab and the strap. Visible on the origina, l but not on these quick scans, are the impressions of the brass letters once fitted to this strap, GG, for Grenadier Guards.

Again I presume that this is a later pattern, as I've seen this type still being worn by Reservists in the early days of WW1.

post-7141-1264778441.jpg

post-7141-1264778498.jpg

It would appear that woven insignia was issued for use on this No3 pattern and the following shows a 7th Hussars (presumably) in position. It was clearly manufactured for use on these straps.

post-7141-1264778653.jpg

The badge in close up

post-7141-1264778735.jpg

Lastly, these straps were on an early SD which had once been fitted with the khaki and white twisted cord shoulder straps. This had been updated at some point and I wonder if these straps have been unit made or were issued for the purpose of upgrading the jacket. As the jacket was less interesting in this configuration, I reverse engineered it by fitting the correct cord straps which I had managed to find.

Again these straps are of fine quality wool.

post-7141-1264779052.jpg

If you could interpret these straps from your knowledge of early patterns Joe I would be very grateful. I have very little info myself.

Kind regards

Tocemma

Joe,

I wonder if you could shed some light on these early pattern khaki SD shoulder straps. It would appear they are numbered patterns and I wonder if they might be trials versions. I cannot for the life of me remember where or when I acquired them.

The first pair is of a very high quality wool, either saxony serge or melton, I would imagine. They have the red worsted tape loop which I understand signified Infantry. Thy are rather like German shoulder straps in construction ie a tab which engages with a loop on the jacket and then buttons through to fasten. They are very nicely marked on the back W /i\ D No2. Do you know anything about the time frame for these Joe?

post-7141-1264777588.jpg Front view

TE,

This pattern 5553/1901 (12 Nov 1901 Made of Drab Melton Thick--Edged White with Scarlet braid center (A.O.C)

Joe Sweeney

post-7141-1264778387.jpg Rear view showing tab and markings

The second type, a bit moth eaten this one, is marked on the back'3', both on the tab and the strap. Visible on the origina, l but not on these quick scans, are the impressions of the brass letters once fitted to this strap, GG, for Grenadier Guards.

Again I presume that this is a later pattern, as I've seen this type still being worn by Reservists in the early days of WW1.

post-7141-1264778441.jpg

post-7141-1264778498.jpg

TE,

This type is Pattern 351(?)/1902 Straps Shoulder Universal Pattern. date was around October 1902 and these were meant to but never replaced the specific branch shoulder titles. These were worn on jackets after that date were declared Obsolete on 18 Feb 1904.

These are commonly seen with metal titles attached--sewn embroidered is a bit of a mystery and i'll have to dig to see this was officially sanctioned by the DEOS.

Here is the list of removable straps I copied from 1901:

5487--Melton with Yellow Edge Cavalry

5488--Melton Scarlet edge Infantry

5523--Edged White ASC

5553 Edged White Scarlet braid in Center AOC

5554 Edged White Crimson Braid in center RAMC (I have a hard time telling Scarlet from Crimson so this could be your stratps too)

5555 Edged White Yellow Braid center APC

5556 Edged Blue Scarlet Braid Center RA

5557 Edged Scarlet Blue Braid center RE

5566 Edged Whit Black Braid Center Military Police

There are probably more but have not copied down.

Joe Sweeney

Lastly, these straps were on an early SD which had once been fitted with the khaki and white twisted cord shoulder straps. This had been updated at some point and I wonder if these straps have been unit made or were issued for the purpose of upgrading the jacket. As the jacket was less interesting in this configuration, I reverse engineered it by fitting the correct cord straps which I had managed to find.

Again these straps are of fine quality wool.

post-7141-1264779052.jpg

If you could interpret these straps from your knowledge of early patterns Joe I would be very grateful. I have very little info myself.

Kind regards

Tocemma

TE,

I think these are unit made in mimicry of the Universal pattern straps post 1902.

Take Care,

Joe Sweeney