Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Evan Cameron Bruce - newspaper report

Dez

Hello Forum Members,

I am researching Major Evan Cameron Bruce as an officer in the Auxiliary Division, R.I.C. In common with many of the Aux. Div. Officers and Cadets he had an astonishing W.W.1 record. The following information was taken from an article in the Irish times dated 23/12/20. What I would like to know, is the information in the article correct and can any member fill in some of the gaps in his career.

Evan Cameron Bruce enlisted in August 1914, in the North Somerset Yeomanry, and was commissioned in September of the same year. He went to France with the Tank Corps in 1916, and was awarded the M.C. at Messines in 1917. He received the D.S.O. and subsequently 2 Bars in the same year, and was mentioned three times in dispatches. He received the order of the Rising Sun for military work in Japan, also the Order of St. Vladimir and the Cross of St. George for conspicious work in Russia. He was wounded five times, and lost his left arm in July 1917 in France, was gassed in 1918, and invalided out of the Service as unfit in December 1919.

Major E.C. Bruce was accepted into the Auxiliary Division, R.I.C. on 3rd August 1920 and was given Auxiliary No. 154 and R.I.C. No. 72351. He was appointed Platoon Commander of No. 3 Platoon in "A" Company, which was the first Company formed while the the Division was still in Quarters at the Curragh Army Camp in Co. Kildare. In September 1920, "A" Company was posted to Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny and took over Woodstock House as their Headquarters. Shortly afterwards, an incident occurred and Major E.C. Bruce was accused of assaulting a civillian and forced to resign. According to Brig. General Crozier, the Commanding Officer of the Auxiliard Division, " I dismissed him as unsuitable for the Auxiliary Division, for striking a civillian without cause". In the light of the murders and violence that had occurred in Ireland up to this time, this offence seems relatively mild, but it ended his career in the Auxiliary Division.

Thanks,

Dez

Searching Ancestry, the first four MICs for EC Bruce (first three all Machine Gun Corps and no reg no. that I can find on any of them) are:-

1. Typewritten. Temp LT. LGS 25.5.17 Vol 30093 page 5168 MID

2. Identical but handwritten. LG (London Gazette?) rather than LGS. Written on the back of a card that had belonged to a Dempsey.

3. In the name of a Major G M Bullen-Smith(!), 2nd Battalion, [Leinster?] Regiment. MID LG 22.6.[15?] page 6003

4. Tank Corps. Major. No. of file 15424/8. Address c/o a Cheltenham bank. Eligible 23.12.19 [Treace face?] DIV I dated 2/8/[62?] Traced in Echelon Rolls No.14 [initialled]

That's all I can find at the moment. Hope someone else can take it further.

Evan Cameron Bruce enlisted in August 1914, in the North Somerset Yeomanry, and was commissioned in September of the same year. He went to France with the Tank Corps in 1916, and was awarded the M.C. at Messines in 1917. He received the D.S.O. and subsequently 2 Bars in the same year, and was mentioned three times in dispatches. He received the order of the Rising Sun for military work in Japan, also the Order of St. Vladimir and the Cross of St. George for conspicious work in Russia. He was wounded five times, and lost his left arm in July 1917 in France, was gassed in 1918, and invalided out of the Service as unfit in December 1919.

The Tank Corps wasn't officially in existence until 1917 - prior to this date it was either the Heavy Section or Heavy Branch of the Machine Gun Corps:

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:fWSO6...uk&ie=UTF-8

Hello Forum Members,

I am researching Major Evan Cameron Bruce as an officer in the Auxiliary Division, R.I.C. In common with many of the Aux. Div. Officers and Cadets he had an astonishing W.W.1 record. The following information was taken from an article in the Irish times dated 23/12/20. What I would like to know, is the information in the article correct and can any member fill in some of the gaps in his career.

Major E.C. Bruce was accepted into the Auxiliary Division, R.I.C. on 3rd August 1920 and was given Auxiliary No. 154 and R.I.C. No. 72351. He was appointed Platoon Commander of No. 3 Platoon in "A" Company, which was the first Company formed while the the Division was still in Quarters at the Curragh Army Camp in Co. Kildare. In September 1920, "A" Company was posted to Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny and took over Woodstock House as their Headquarters. Shortly afterwards, an incident occurred and Major E.C. Bruce was accused of assaulting a civillian and forced to resign. According to Brig. General Crozier, the Commanding Officer of the Auxiliard Division, " I dismissed him as unsuitable for the Auxiliary Division, for striking a civillian without cause". In the light of the murders and violence that had occurred in Ireland up to this time, this offence seems relatively mild, but it ended his career in the Auxiliary Division.

Thanks,

Dez

Dez

There is a Major E.C. Bruce listed on page 305 of 'Army Honours and Awards 1920' under Military Cross as follows:

Bruce, Major E.C. late Tank Corps.

and under Foriegn Orders on page 563:

Bruce, Major E.C. MC, late Tank Corps - Rising Sun 4th Class (Japan)

There is no mention of a DSO - nor can I spot him in the 'Distinguished Service Order' - have you checked his medal index card?

Philip

Just an observation.

If he lost an arm in 1917 was gassed in 1918 and declared unfit 1918 that would lend itself to suggest that he was after losing the arm allowed to continue service. Is that possible? I would think that losing an arm would disqualify you from service at least with a front line outfit anyway.

Just an observation maybe someone far more knowledgable than I could offer their take on that one.

Thank you for such a speedy response, Verrico2009, Andrew Upton, Philip Wilson, IG1065, as this information comes from a newspaper report, my aim is to verify the details before adding them to Major Bruce's file. Andrew, my error, when I re-checked the wording it read .... he went to France with the first tanks in 1916.

Dez

Bruce received the DSO for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in South Russia.....(paraphrasing)...at Tsaritsyn, June 29 1919, when in command of a British Tank Corps detachment. He was in an aeroplane on reconnaisance and shot down an enemy observation balloon, thereby preventing the enemy from discovering the Tank concentration. On June 30 he led his Tank detachment with skill and gallantry under heavy fire, and when attacked on the flank he personally led 3 tanks and repulsed the attack. His gallant conduct was an excellent example to the British and Russian Tank Corps.

DSO gazetted (I think) April 23 1920, MC Sep 17 1917. Both forfeited.

Convicted of robbing £75 from a creamery and dismissed from the ADRIC. One note I have indicated he came back to Ireland following his dismissal and went on a robbing spree.

Tough bunch, the Auxies. He aquitted himself well for a one armed man with gassed lungs!

Soory to have missed this post. Newspaper reports are tricky things; I do not wish to throw cold water on the accuracy of what is said. However, I have found no mention of Bruce amongst the First Tank Crews yet - although I am still finding crewmen, I am fairly sure he wasn't with C or D Company at Flers.

He might have been with A or B Companies, who deployed after the first action - this would link to the mention of Messines but there is no record of his MC in the Tank Corps Book of Honour for that battle.

The only firm answer would be to check the file in the National Archives

Stephen

Thanks for that, tanks3, Peter Mc and delta, problems in the past with the accuracy of newspaper reports prompted the post. Just in passing delta, nothing to do with this post, my wife's grandfather, no. 1364, L/Cpl. Joseph Lucas, was a gearman in a tank, at Cambrai, he received a severe leg wound when his tank took a direct hit. He told me that only himself and his officer got out alive, the rest of the crew were killed. He was ex-cavalry having previously served in the North Irish Horse. (sorry delta, that was Cambrai not Messines)

Dez

In the Tank Honours he is referred to as E M Bruce. There is a E G Bruce in the 5th TC which could be him as the print is poor and could be E C.

Simon

• 2 months later...
Hello Forum Members,

Thanks,

Dez

Dez,

I have a superb photo of Bruce (copied from original from his son) his son stated he was a broken man and had NO medals whatsover!

If you like I will e-mail you it?

Kind regards,

Simon

• 1 year later...

major Bruce was also lame apparently. According to D.M.Leeson he had a personal grudge against Sinn Fein. On 10 october 1920 he and his nephew hired a car and drove to Thomastown then onto a creamery where they in the company of a Lt Cooper and Sgt Blake of the Devonshire Regt went and robbed e safe of th creamery at gunpoint at Kells and got away with 75 pounds. the two soldiers had nothing to do with the robbery and gave evidence in the trial in England. Major Bruce was arrestHadith Cheltenham. He was given a year in jail and his nhew three months. He was sent to Mountjoy and transferred to liveool post truce. He made several appeals to the courts to no avail.

• 1 year later...

Hullo

Major Bruce and 20 men were "sent home" (in, I think, August 1919) from Taganrog, South Russia by General Holman i/c the British Military Mission there "as there has been a little trouble" my father says in his diary I have elsewhere seen the word 'mutiny', I think.

You can read a first hand account of "Major Bruce's 'single-handed. capture of Tsaritsin" in : -

A Somewhat Unusual Journey”

Victoria Station to Taganrog

A War Office Mission to Russia 1919

which is due to be published on 5th of March if we have given Nielsens enough time.

…............................

The book is a 132 page paperback with Perfect Binding, 21cm by 24cm, containing my father's diary, 30 documents (50 pages} and 47 photographs of varying size. All the photographs are my father's, from 1919, and almost all the documents are also from 1919 – a few are from 1920.

It is a limited edition: about 80 copies will be available for sale, available only from Sayer Press, 2 Oak Villas, Stonehill, Ottershaw, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 0ER. Cheques to C.G.Sayer. 12.50 plus £2 p&p There will also be a documents disc available with the book for £2.50.

Colin Sayer

• 3 weeks later...

Hullo all

The details of the book and disc are now on "Misc items for sale and events".

Colin