Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adrian Hut

Terry_Reeves

The above mentioned hut was named after Louis Auguste Adrian (as was the French steel helmet). I have sufficient information about his career, but wonder if if anyone has a picture of the eponymous hut, which the British army also used.

TR

I take it you have seen the interior of one as depicted by Eric Kennington?

(Google "Adrian hut"+kennington)

IanA, thanks for the steer on Kennington; Google Image works best.

M. Smallman-Raynor and A. D. Cliff, War Epidemics (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004), p. 203. Accessed at http://books.google.co.uk and search for Smallman-Raynor and War Epidemics. There is a linked contents page so go to the page number nearest p.203 and navigate. The lower illustration shows a single Adrian hut to contain a hospital ward with sixty-nine beds. The dimensions are given and the bed layout is shown (rather similar to Kennington's picture). It have not been able to establish whether this was a standard size but the Adrian huts were prefabricated and introduced in 1915, I gather, having been originally invented for use in South America by Adrian

Ian

Edit

Here is the direct link

Edited by Ian Riley

Many thanks for that, both illustrations are very useful. Kennington's picture gives me an idea what the shape of the hut is, so I may be able to identify the exterior of one. Thanks again.

TR

• 3 years later...

*bump*

Any other photographs of Adrian Huts around?

Cheers,

Simon

All I can offer are the basic dimensions

"In April 1916, the training school moved to two Adrian huts near Gouy-en-Artois. An Adrian hut measured 8 metres by thirty and could contain an area equivalent to 4 or 5 classrooms."

Best I can do - contemporary sketch of U. S. Army Base Hospital No.5 at Camiers The large buildings in front of the tents are Adrian Huts

post-9885-0-93572400-1376404834_thumb.jp

Best I can do - contemporary sketch of U. S. Army Base Hospital No.5 at Camiers The large buildings in front of the tents are Adrian Huts

post-9885-0-93572400-1376404834_thumb.jp

Belter. That looks like a canvas awning drawn out from the sides, doesn't it? From what I can derive, and looking at Ian's drawing [referred in post #3], one Adrian hut should 'comfortably' (I used the term advisedly) billet a reserve infantry company in 1918 if you do away with the 69 beds etc. Quite a target, though...

Cheers,

Simon

I haven't been able to make the link work properly but also have a layout as used in a US hospital

post-9885-0-58687500-1376409177_thumb.jp

Designed to ensure that patients lay head to foot and didn't inhale each other's (infectious) breath ["Sgt Bilko how much does it cost to get me away from Private Dobermann's feet?"]

US hospital 5 was actually bombed.

Super picture. Where are the Amish when you need them?

Cheers,

Simon

I am not at all convinced the huts depicted are Adrian Huts. They are the wrong shape. I have a strong suspicion they are one of a number of huts designed by WG Tarrant, a highly successful British builder before and during the war, who also designed the and constructed the ill-fated Tarrant Tabor bomber. Tarrant sent several hundred women to France to construct these huts, many of whom were based in the Calais area.

TR

Well the guy who wrote the history of the American 5th Hospital (and who served in it) was convinced that he was in an Adrian Hut - too much ether perhaps? :whistle:

Terry, what is the shape anomaly you can see? Is there a reference picture you're working from?

Cheers,

Simon