Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kriegsfreiwilliger Mauf

CROONAERT

Just wondered if anyone could help me here...

I'm trying to find out the details of a Kriegsfreiwilliger whose surname was Mauf who was killed in June 1915. He served in

5. Badisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 113 (57th Bde, 29th Div) and was born in 1899/1900 (therefore making him aged just 15 when he died).

He's listed in Schlachten des Weltkrieges - Band 17 "Loretto" as being a casualty in the actions in the vicinity of Notre Dame de Lorette, but the online VdK listings have a Gefreiter Fritz Mauf who died in the Champagne sector on 28th June 1915 (on this date, JR 113 were, indeed, on the Champagne front).

Could Gefreiter Mauf and Kriegsfreiwilliger Mauf be one and the same person, or did Kriegie Mauf actually die north of Arras earlier in the month and, perhaps, have no known grave?

Does anyone have access to the JR 113 verlustlisten or any other source that may be able to confirm (or otherwise) this possibility for me?

Thanks.

Dave.

Thanks Ken... nothing of note in those scans regarding Mauf (that I could see) but I did spend a couple of very interesting hours looking through them (falling into my bad habit of wandering off the subject when something else takes my attention!). There's an interesting 2 page account of the actions that I'm looking at in there so they were very useful regardless(and proves that I didn't wander too far off my subject! :lol: )

Cheers.

Dave

I believe the regiment was from Freiburg, so if nothing else solves this, you may want to try the digitized Freiburger Zeitung:

http://az.ub.uni-freiburg.de/show/fz.cgi?c...amp;pKuerzel=FZ

Perhaps also if someone has access to Freiburger Ehrenbuch des Weltkriegs ?

Hi Ken,

Thanks so much for sharing that resource. I just found an article there that relates to my own research (sinking of the TSS California in 1917) and would not have found it had you not mentioned it. Any other digital German-language newspaper archives you would like to share? :)

I know about ANNO, and now what you shared, but not much else.

Thanks,

-Daniel

In the Virtual Library section c. pages 5 and 6 there are links to other German-language resources, including some newspapers.

I will check those out....many thanks!

-Daniel