Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Thomas James Smith

sage1957

Hi group. this photograph I know was taken before May 1915 the gentleman is

Thomas James Smith and on the 1911 census he is based in the barracks

at Nelson Street, Wrexham so a guess he would be in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers?

from another FH site I gather that the chevrons on his lower left arm uniform

are long service chevrons given one for each 3 years service but not counting the first

three years, am I correct? this would make Thomas a career soldier of 15 years service I guess.

Can anything else be gleaned from the photograph please? on the 1911 census his given age was 42

putting his birth year at 1869 (born in Walsall, Staffs).

I had a good look through the WW1 record cards at Ancestry but with the limited information

given it was near impossible to find any further information relating to Thomas.

Any help appreciated please Guys.

Thank you.

Ray

post-39889-1255352388.jpg

There's a pension record (about 10 pages) on Ancestry for 3259 Pte Thomas James SMITH, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, born Bloxwich, Walsall, Staffs, enlisted 28 or 31/7/1891 at Wrexham age 22 yrs 6 months. Occupation Labourer. Service included India 2/8/93-9/12/97, South Africa 19/7/1900-20/12/01. Seems to have married twice. First wife given as H.E.SMITH, The Barracks, Wrexham. Second wife Elizabeth CRUXTON (widow) married Wrexham 18/5/04.

Children (apparently by first wife) Lucy Elizabeth (1891), Herbert William (1894) and Frederick (1897). Appointed L/Cpl in 1915 in 3rd Bn. Busted back to private for misconduct 29/7/16.

Discharged no longer physically fit 4/10/16.

Appears to have served only in the UK during WW1 (probably on account of his age), therefore no MIC for campaign medals. But thre is this card for his Silver War Badge:

post-16303-1255354440.jpg

If this sounds like your man and you don't have access to Ancestry, drop me a PM.

Adrian

Thank you Adrian.

Most wonderful and exciting information supplied by your good self, most grateful.

Yes it is one and the same Thomas James Smith, but the children mentioned are his step children from his second marriage

to my great grandmother Elizabeth Cruxton (nee Brown) in 1904.

I wondered why Thomas was only a private in the photograph after so many years service, I guess he must have been

a bit of a character? I see you mention a promotion and demotion late in his career for misconduct and thank you for that.

I have pm'd you Adrian.

Kind regards.

Ray

The tunic design for RWF was unique to the period 1902 to 1912, give or take a year.

For the greater part of this period, the Good Conduct badge chevrons were awarded for

1 chevron: 2 years

2nd total 5 years

3rd total 12

4th total 18, but continuous good behaviour reduced this to 16 years.

An enlistment in 1891 and assuming continuous good conduct implies photo taken in 1907, one naughtiness implies 1909.

The evidence hangs together nicely.

I would love a quality scan .... I am one of the RWF's small army of historians, and this is bang in my period of expertise.

His service in SA qualified him for the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal