Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn Royal Warwicks

Roger34

I'm currently researching pupils from my school who were killed in the Great War. We have found a Lt Frederick Wigan Jones who is buried in Yardley cemetery. He does not have a CWGC headstone but the private family stone states that he died in December 1916 of wounds received in France. The regimental diaries do not show him joining either the 1/8 or 2/8 who served in France and I can't find any service records for him.

Can anybody tell me anything about this officer?

Thanks Roger

Medal Index Card (on Ancestry) shows:

Initial Rank of Private with service number 2648 in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, subsequently commissioned and attained rank of Lieutenant in 8th Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Entitled to British War & Victory Medals (ref. RWarR Off/150 Page 74) and 1914/15 Star (ref. L/10 B3 Page 805).

Entered Theatre of War 1 (France) on 22/3/1915. (That date is consistant with the arrival of 1/5th, 1/6th, 1/7th or 1/8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment in France)

Died of Wounds on 21/12/1916

Medals were claimed by W. F. Jones, as next of kin, 27/06/1921. Address for correspondence given as Sandown, Station Road, Steepford, Birmingham.

London Gazette #29377, 23rd November 1915 shows his Commission as Second Lieutenant, link to the Gazette is Here, I haven't been able to find the record of his promotion to Lieutenant though.

Frederick Wigan Jones to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 16th November, 1915.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thank you for all of the help, the next thing we are doing is organising a petition to have the headstone renovated as it has fallen over.

Roger

Bham Weekly Post 25.12.1915 reported that he died of wounds received on 25.11.15.

BWP 30.12.16 says he died of wounds received on November 25 but does not specify the year - this was probably a death reminder placed by his parents.

But in the 6.1.17 edition his funeral at Yardley Cemetery was reported 'with semi-military honours on Sunday afternoon' implying funeral on 31.12.1916

CWGC says date of death 21.12.16

I suspect that the 1915 newspaper report was incorrect and he was seriously wounded then and he dow a year later. In November 1915 the 1/8th were on the Somme around Fonquevillers.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Nov 1916 Army List

THE ROYAL WARWICKSHIRE REGIMENT

8th Battalion. (Territorial.)

2nd Lieutenants.

3Jones, F.W.(*Lt. 10 Oct. 16) 16NOV.15

Looks like he belonged to the 3rd Battalion and was transferred to the 8th Battalion

Regards Mark

Hi Dave, I'm researching Stechford Primary School which at the time was Stechford Council School.

Roger

Roger

Out of interest, which school are you researching?

Dave

Sorry I'm late on this one but Frederick Wigan Jones was a freemason and member of Campbell Lodge No 3463 which is based in the West Riding of Yorkshire. That lodge has three members who died in the war, two of which were in Royal Warwicks battalions (8th & 10th). Possibly these battalions were in training in West Yorks which might explain these men from Birmingham joining that lodge? Any info appreciated.

Mike

Sorry I'm late on this one but Frederick Wigan Jones was a freemason and member of Campbell Lodge No 3463 which is based in the West Riding of Yorkshire. That lodge has three members who died in the war, two of which were in Royal Warwicks battalions (8th & 10th). Possibly these battalions were in training in West Yorks which might explain these men from Birmingham joining that lodge? Any info appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike, there is a freemason symbol on the headstone. When I work out how to I will post a picture!

Roger

Mike

Sorry Mike - does not fit. 10th (Servuce) Bn trained on Salisbury Plain and the 1/8th in Essex - both before departure for France. The 14th, 15th and 16th (all Pals), however, did train in Yorkshire after leaving the Birmingham area.

Thanks Alan, that's one avenue closed down but that's how research works.

Roger - would also be interested to see a copy of the newspaper account if possible.

Regards to all

Mike

• 7 years later...

Has anyone been able to link F.W. Jones's wounding to a war diary entry?

Can't find anything noting his wounding in WO-95-2756 for 25 November. As later newspaper reports mention his having shrapnel wounds I am wondering if he might have the "man wounded by shrapnel while on working party" noted on 6 November instead?