Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Epehy - Anyone been there recently & taken photos

Tony Ring

Fellow Pals. It is my dream to visit Epehy in Northern France to follow in the foot steps of my G./Uncle who was KIA there in Sept 1918.

My research tends to support he was killed whilst attacking Fishers Keep that was located in the center of Epehy.

I have looked at google earth, maps etc and my son on his OE took photos of the Wood Farm Cemetery back in 2001.

I would be interested in viewing recent photos of the town with any WW1 history to know what I might see if my dream comes true.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

There's a very useful "Epehy" in the Hindenburg Line series from Pen & Sword, by K W Mitchinson. Lots of maps and photos. If you do go, you won't find anywhere to stay in this back of beyond village. But easy to get to from either Cambrai or St Quentin

You might find some interesting archive postcards on this site:

Ville en direct

It's a huge collection of early French cards from the beginning of the 20c.

There's a very useful "Epehy" in the Hindenburg Line series from Pen & Sword, by K W Mitchinson. Lots of maps and photos. If you do go, you won't find anywhere to stay in this back of beyond village. But easy to get to from either Cambrai or St Quentin

Thank you. I am determined to go there and my wife agrees - only if she can visit Paris.

Tony

You might find some interesting archive postcards on this site:

Ville en direct

It's a huge collection of early French cards from the beginning of the 20c.

After finding the translation button it was very interesting viewing.

Thank you for your assistance.

Tony

After finding the translation button it was very interesting viewing.

Well, I apologise for not translating. If I do, people think it's patronising, and if I don't, it attracts sarcasm. I can't win, so I won't bother next time.

For the benefit of anyone else who might be considering using the site and struggling to find a translation button, you use the centre panel which is called 'Ma ville in 1900' with a ghosted postrcard and a stamp. You put the town name in the box that says, 'Saisissez une ville or un département' and then you press the button that says 'Trouver'.

Gwyn

I do not have pics of Epehy per se, but many from around the Bony area. This covers Gillemont Farm, the Knoll, Quennemont Farm, Macquincourt Valley, the St Quentin Canal Tunnel etc which are all included in the Epehy book of the Battleground Europe series. If you are interested in these I'll post them to the forum.

Jon

Well, I apologise for not translating. If I do, people think it's patronising, and if I don't, it attracts sarcasm. I can't win, so I won't bother next time.

For the benefit of anyone else who might be considering using the site and struggling to find a translation button, you use the centre panel which is called 'Ma ville in 1900' with a ghosted postrcard and a stamp. You put the town name in the box that says, 'Saisissez une ville or un département' and then you press the button that says 'Trouver'.

Gwyn

Gwyn

"Settle down" No sarcasm intended.

I do not speak / understand french and was lost for a few minutes until the translate button appeared on my screen.

Thank you again your assistance is appreciated.

Tony

I do not have pics of Epehy per se, but many from around the Bony area. This covers Gillemont Farm, the Knoll, Quennemont Farm, Macquincourt Valley, the St Quentin Canal Tunnel etc which are all included in the Epehy book of the Battleground Europe series. If you are interested in these I'll post them to the forum.

Jon

Jon

Thank you. I am very interrested so "post away"

Tony

Tony

I might be able to visit Epehy in about 10 days time; but no promises as it will depend on available time. If you let me know the specific photos you need I'll see what I can do. Send me a PM with details.

Garth

This is taken from the St Quentin Canal back over ground American's attacked over on Sept. 29, 1918:

fromcanal.jpg

This is the Macquincourt Valley between the Knoll and Gillemont Farm:

gillefarm.jpg

Jon

Jon

Thank you - Very impressive photographs. Its hard to imagine what was taking place there in 1918.

Do you have any looking north towards Epehy ?

Tony