Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Mary's embroidery

Chris_Baker

A relative has told me an interesting sidebar to the story of an officer I have researched. She says Lt Walter Merritt, while at Buckingham Palace receiving his MC from the King, was given by Queen Mary a "supper cloth" she had embroidered as a gift for his mother. I am wondering whether any of you have heard of such a thing. Did the Queen make a practice of it? Appreciate any insight you have on this.

A relative has told me an interesting sidebar to the story of an officer I have researched. She says Lt Walter Merritt, while at Buckingham Palace receiving his MC from the King, was given by Queen Mary a "supper cloth" she had embroidered as a gift for his mother. I am wondering whether any of you have heard of such a thing. Did the Queen make a practice of it? Appreciate any insight you have on this.

Queen Mary Was the Patron Of The "Queen Mary Needlework Guild".QMNG Badges are often sold being described as "Nursing" Badges" they are however from this Organisation,which promoted the Needle & Silk Thread! & I understand used to train & encourage wounded servicemen as Physiotherapy; Queen Victoria is reknown for giving Presentation Scarves made by herself to Soldiers as reward for Gallant conduct,so I would quite expect HM:QM to continue the Family tradition. :)

• 4 years later...

There was at least one chapter of Her Majesty's Needlework Guild here in America. I'll try to post a reference tomorrow. I believe I saw mention in the New York Times that the Queen sent one of her ladies-in-waiting to America to compliment and encourage the Americans.

Here is an interesting article from the Sunday, January 28, 1917 edition of the New York Times outlining the amount of aid being offered to Europe by American charities. For instance, during the previous year, the American chapter of Queen Mary's Needlework Guild sent 427,019 packages abroad.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...9679C946696D6CF

(I think I'll start a new thread somewhere on the American contribution to the Great War before the American declaration of war.)

It was Lady Williams-Taylor, said to be a close friend of Her Majesty, who visited America early in the war. Here's the link: http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...9649C946496D6CF

Note: Does one try to cross-reference items on this forum? This article also gives an interesting view of British preparations for the German bomb throwing from Zeppelins, etc.

Badge QMNG:

post-2388-1234216691.jpg