Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reverend Theodore Bayley Hardy VC DSO MC

Mark Hone

A couple of years ago I saw a copy of a small book called 'It's Only Me' , about the gallant 'TBH' who won the VC, DSO and MC, on sale at Kirkby Lonsdale church in Cumbria. Foolishly I did not buy it and there has been no sign of it on subsequent visits to the church. I would like to get hold of a copy in preperation for a forthcoming school battlefields tour which will include a visit to one of the scenes of his heroism.Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on a copy? Mea culpa-I did ask about this some time ago on (I think) the old WFA forum but subsequently my computer went doolally and I lost the replies in the crash.

Mark,

Try:

RAW David:

ITS ONLY ME - A life of The Reverend THEODORE BAYLEY HARDY, V.C., D.S.O., M.C., - 1863-1918 - Vicar of Hutton Roof, Westmorland.

Gatebeck. Frank Peters. 1988. Paperback. 105 pages. B.w. illustrations. Maps. Mint. At the age of 54, Theodore Hardy was to become the most decorated non-combatant in the First World War: decorations that were won not in hot blood and anger, but in cool tenacious courage. He was to die only a few days before the Armistice. It is the story of one man's Christian witness which even the most sceptical agnostic or confirmed atheist must respect.

Bookseller Inventory #974

Bookseller: G.w. & I.a. Cope, Bookshop K. Lonsdale

Address: The Bookshop 9, Market Street, Kirkby Lonsdale Via Carnforth, Lancashire, LAN, United Kingdom, LA6 2AU

E-mail: g.cope@btinternet.com

Phone #: 015242 71294

Fax #: 015242 73721

Inventory:

Terms of Sale: Payment generally required with order. We accept sterling cheques and most major credit cards including Mastercard, Visa, Delta, Solo and Switch. We offer a full refund on the purchase price if the book does not meet the stated description.

• 3 years later...
Two copies here at £18 & £20 - do not know the original price click

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,

I believe the original price was around £6.00 back in 1988.

Theodore Hardy is mentioned in quite a few other books such as 'Tommy' by Richard Holmes and Peter de la Billere's book on the Victoria Cross

Is this any use?

It's Hutton Roof War Memorial in the corner of the churchyard, Hardy's name is the top one.

The legend reads;

Erected by the / Parishoners of / Hutton Roof / In memory of /

T B Hardy VC DSO MC CF

Pte J W Thistlethwaite

Pte JW Wilson

Pte C Charnley

Who gave thier lives for / Thier King and country in / The cause of justice and Right / They shall rise again / 1914 -1918

I know I'm adding to a thread started over three years ago, but there is a very good article by Bob Coulson which mentions this very brave gentleman (probably the most-decorated non-combatant) if you click here.

Tom

I can't remember wher I read it, but the lady in the dark blue uniform wearing a Red Cross arm band was Hardy's daughter.

Nigel

Thanks for the recent replies. Just as an update I managed to get hold of the excellent little book on Hardy by mail order shortly after the original post. I must go and have a look at the memorial at Hutton Roof the next time that I'm in the area.The painting is by the well known military and railway artist Terence Cuneo. It is closely based on a photograph of the event, but does contain a bit of artistic licence. Hardy was not wearing a tin hat at the investiture and it took place well behind the lines so there wouldn't have been ruined buildings nearby.

Mark,

When you do go to Hutton Roof again, make sure you see the grave of Hardy's wife. Florence Elizabeth Hardy is buried just inside the churchyard to the left of the little gate as you enter from the road where the memorial is. Ill post a photo later.

Nigel

The photograph on which the 1966 Cuneo painting of the investiture of the Rev T B Hardy with the VC is based on the photograph in the collection of the Imperial War Museum Negative number Q 11128

The people as they appear in the picture from left to right are:

The Rev T B Hardy and the King

Miss Hardy

The Earl of Cromer (Equerry and Assistant private Secretary to H.M. The King).

Lieutentant-General Sir George M Harper, KCB, (G.O.C. 4th Corps, 3rd Army).

Major-General A Cronkhite (G.O.C. 80th American Division)

The Right Honourable Lord Stamfordham (Private Secretary to H.M. The King)

Of the above; the one uncertain identification is that of General Harper.

The reason for the wearing of a Black Arm band by the King is that he was in mourning for the Czar of Russia.

Hardy was attached to the 8th Lincolns and is wearing the Division insignia of the 37th Division (a yellow horseshoe)

Miss Elizabeth Hardy was a nurse at the Red Cross Hospital at Dunkirk

Additional Information is to be found in 'VCs of the First World War - Spring Offensive 1918' by Gerald Gliddon (Sutton Publishing)

When I said later, I didn't actually mean this much later. Still, here's the grave of Mrs Hardy.

Nigel

Theodore Bayley Hardy is also commemorated on four other memorials according to the 'Lost Generation' site.

The Army Chaplains' Department War Memorial panels at the Royal Garrison Church, Aldershot.

The Royal Commercial Travellers School Honours Board

The City of London School, Queen Victoria Street, London EC4

The Elliott Hall, Uxbridge Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA5 4EA

Is there anywhere on the web where we can see the original photograph? I ask because the painting, which we can see here, makes H.M. The King look taller than Rev. Hardy. The King always seems much shorter than many other people who appear in photographs with him, so I wonder if Rev. Hardy was even shorter than the King, or whether the artist has made the King look taller than he really was.

Tom