Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kelvingrove

reevemjr

The SS Kelvingrove took the 121(H) battery to Harve in February 1915 from Southampton.

The SS Kelvingrove took the 121(H) battery to Harve in February 1915 from Southampton.

I have searched in vain for a photograph under the name SS Kelvingrove, Mecuria and Caxias, but have had no luck. She was requisitioned in 1914 and may have been a regular transport for troops an equipment to France during the war.

Does anyone have a connection with this ship or perhaps a photograph, as I am trying to trace records of a Richard Shrive who went on her to France on the 13th February 1915. I have found some references to her origins, builder and change of names but no other references to her voyage than the ones below. Richard Shrive Army Record - 1915 0215-0615 overseas service with 121(H) Bty RGA

This is the only reference to her voyage in 1915 I have found.

1915 February 13 – Friday - Arrived Charlton Terrace after spending night at home, to find battery had moved off early in morning took up kit etc. and hurried off to Woolwich Arsenal station to catch them up got there in time alright (7,20am) to find nearly all horses wagons etc. packed on trains (2) ready for Southhampton. Left Woolwich about 8.30, after a roundabout journey arrived at S'hampton about 1pm. Embarked on the S.S. Kelvingrove. [Dad's Diary by Gunner Roads - 121 (Heavy) Battery]

1915 February 14 – Sunday - Stayed in dock all day Sunday leaving about 4pm for Havre. Woke up and found we were anchored off that port. [Dad's Diary by Gunner Roads - 121 (Heavy) Battery]

1915 February 15 –Monday - Monday morning pilot took us into Dock and was all day and best part of night getting horses, guns, wagons and all our gear on land. [Dad's Diary by Gunner Roads - 121 (Heavy) Battery]

Mike

Mike

If you can let me know who built the ship I might be able to tell you where the surviving builder's records (if any still exist) are held. Quite often photographs are held in the archives with the builder's records.

Dave W

Mike

If you can let me know who built the ship I might be able to tell you where the surviving builder's records (if any still exist) are held. Quite often photographs are held in the archives with the builder's records.

Dave W

With a name like that, she might have been built on Clydeside or, at least, for a Scottish line like Donaldson.

Hi,

As per the Miramar Ship Index, here's the skinny on the Kelvingrove:

Single Ship Report for "1111222"

IDNo: 1111222 Year: 1899

Name: KELVINGROVE Launch Date: 30.5.99

Type: Cargo ship Date of completion: 10.99

Flag: GBR Keel:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tons: 3092 Link: 1258

DWT: Yard No: 366

Length overall: Ship Design:

LPP: 101.5 Country of build: GBR

Beam: 13.7 Builder: McMillan

Material of build: Location of yard: Dumbarton

Number of

screws/Mchy/

Speed(kn): 1T-10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner as Completed: Glasgow Stm Sg Co Ltd (J.Black), Glasgow

Naval or paramilitary marking :

A: *

End: 1960

Subsequent History:

15 MERCURIA - 26 INES - 33 CARUARU - 34 CAXIAS

Disposal Data:

BU Rio de Janeiro 12.60

According to the National Archives:

Glasgow Steam Shipping Co Ltd

GB/NNAF/C107949 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/B11268)

Location of Related Collections

Scope 1894-1967: minute books, register of members, reports, accounts, balances, ship records

Repository: Glasgow City Archives

Record Reference TD49 link to online catalogue

NRA catalogue reference NRA 15410 Donaldson Bros

Let the search continue!

-Daniel

KELVINGROVE - 3,092-tons with dimensions of 333.0 x 45.0 – cargo ship built by A. McMillan & Sons, Ltd., Dumbarton completed in October 1899 as yard No.366 - Official No.111222 for Glasgow Steam Shipping Co., Ltd. (J. Black & Co.), Glasgow

1915 renamed MERCURIA by Donaldson Line, Ltd. (Donaldson Bros., Ltd.), Glasgow

1920 - Letricheux Line, Ltd. (Letricheux & David, Ltd.), Swansea

1920 - Brynymor SS. Co., Ltd. (s/m)

1922 - Pridmore & Roe, Swansea

1926 - INES M. G. Nicolich, Rio Grande do Sul BZ

1933 renamed CARUARÚ by Carlos Ozorio, Rio de Janeiro

1934 renamed CAXIAS by Cia. Carbonifera Rio Grandense, Rio de Janeiro

1943 - Cia. Commercio e Navegação, Rio de Janeiro

1957 - Navegação Mercantil, S.A., Rio de Janeiro

Broken up c. Dec 1960 at Rio de Janeiro by Cia. Metallurgica Austin

Cheers Ron

Mike

Dave W

Dave

Thank you for the offer. It would be very helpful to know if they do have a picture. There has been a lot of information posted on this topic and it all helps. The record I have is:   A 3,092 gross ton ship, built 1899 by A. McMillan & Son, Dumbarton for Glasgow Steam Shipping Co (J. Black & Co), Glasgow. July 1915 sold to Donaldson Line Ltd, Glasgow.

I also have since discovered that a 'Kelvingrove' was involved in transporting horses and mules to South Africa from the Boer war in 1899 and 1901. She could transport some 500 animals!

Thanks to everyone for the information. With the Kelvingrove's history there must have been a photograph taken at some point.

Mike Reeve

Hi Mike

The only other option is to try to find a fleet history of the Donaldson Line. Give Southampton Reference Library a ring and ask for special collections - they will tell you if such a work exists and if so, they are likely to have it on the shelf.

Dave W

There is a history of "Donaldson Line of Glasgow" by P.J. Telford pub. 1989 (google Booklover Oxford)). The Mitchell Library in Glasgow may have archive files. The Glasgow Museum of Transport and the Glasgow Art Galley and Museum also have extensive collections of ships models and plans.

Not strictly relevant except in the name she bore see

Aye

Malcolm

Now you've just made me very homesick ^_^ thinking of my boyhood in Glasgow and wandering through the Kelvingrove after a bevy at the Park Bar or the Sikorski Club. Yours aye, AntonyCK