Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer funk jackets

alex falbo

I brought this topic up on another occasion but its focus was directed towards the frequency of using the cuff rank insignia post Somme for line infantry officers.

However, I'd like to inquire here about the use of funk jackets by officers post Somme. Did certain battalions or brigades encourage this? I am aware that the Grenadier Guards were given to using them. I have a few photos one of which shows an MG Corps officer with one but I'd like to see what else you lads have on the subject.

Regards,

Alex

Not necessarily post-Somme. I believe the 29th Division were using them on 1st July (famous photo of Lancs Fus goiong up the Line), and I beleive I've read a comment somewhere that officer losses were heavy "despite officers wearing Tommies' jackets".

The Guards always wore rank pips on the shoulder, but with the officer-cut jacket, not the or version.

Again, I can't recall the date of this, but Graves (IIRC) refers to an officer being pilloried in the Mess for wearing a "wind up" jacket. However, the date for this I don't recall, but it was a newly-arrived officer attached from a different regiment. That would, I think, be late 1915 (I may well be wrong), but possibly confirms that the style of dress had a sanction somewhere - regiment a didn't like it, but regiment b did.

My guess is that it would be an official sanction, but whether at battalion, brigade or divisional level I know not.

In Brigade Orders for the 141st Brigade, 47th Division, for the Battle of Loos (September 1915) the section covering Officers dress states that "Officers will be dressed as for the men".

The more you study images the more common you realise the use of such jackets was. I seem to notice more all the time.

TT

Hello Alex

I believe that units were officially encouraged to switch officers' insignia from cuffs to shoulders some time in 1917, but I cannot now recall where I saw this.

It is also relevant that German snipers were told to aim at "men with thin legs", i.e. officers with breeches and knee boots. I don't know if "funk trousers" and puttees were used as well, but certainly "officers will be dressed as the men" would cover this aspect also.

Ron

I agree with Squirrel; this goes back well into 1915, if not earlier

In May that year Compton Mackenzie was in Alexandria en route to Gallipoli, but sans any uniform

He tackled the batman of another officer about getting a jacket and was given the reply

"I could get you a service-jacket from the Army Stores for ten shillings. Lots of officers prefer to wear them instead of their own so as to dodge the snipers

regards

Michael