Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr Peter Burrows Kelly

oak

Pals,

I'm writing a book about the V Beach landing at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915. I'm researching Irishman Dr Peter Burrows Kelly who was a doctor on the River Clyde. A contingent from No. 3 Armoured Car Squadron, Royal Naval Armoured Car Division were aboard the ship. Commanded by Lieutenant-Commander Josiah Wedgwood they manned eleven Maxim machine guns mounted on the River Clyde's forecastle. Aside from Wedgwood, the contingent consisted of three other officers, a surgeon, and seventy-two men. I'm pretty sure that Peter Burrows Kelly was the surgeon, but am aware that there were at least two other doctors who were on the ship. So I'd be very grateful if any Pal could confirm that Peter Burrows Kelly was a member of the Royal Naval Air Service, from which the Royal Naval Armoured Division were drawn and/or give me any further information about him.

Formed shortly after the outbreak of war, the Royal Naval Armoured Car Division was manned by members of the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) and consisted of a mixed collection of armoured cars, Ford cars, motor lorries and motor cycles with side cars. Its armoured cars went into action in Flanders and France in the early days of the war, before the advent of trench warfare rendered them obsolete. When the Gallipoli landings were decided upon, No 3 and No 4 Armoured Car Squadrons and No. 10 Motor Cycle Machine-Gun Squadron were sent to the Mediterranean to assist the army.

The following letter, received by Mr. E.L. Gray of Naas, County Kildare, was published in the Kildare Observer on 25 September 1915.

“H.M.S. Hythe,

Dardanelles,

31 August, 1915

“Dear Gray, - Seeing the “Kildare Observer” here yesterday reminded me of you, so I decided to write you, for old times sake. I thought possibly you might like some first-hand information.

I got out here in March, having spent till then at sea, Antwerp and France. On arrival we were quickly disillusioned as to what was actually happening. Things were about as black as black could be, and nothing but lies had been told wholesale. I afterwards volunteered to go as surgeon on “River Clyde.” It was a terrible day the 25th April. The immortal 29th Division no longer live to tell the tale, and the Fusiliers Brigade - the portion that we took into V Beach - were almost annihilated, I was very lucky. I got hit early in the right leg - nothing much - and then later they pinked me with one in the left foot.

I have now a flat foot and no upper teeth, but never felt better in my life. Like all others who have been through the real thing. I want to see the war finished but only on condition that things are satisfactorily settled, otherwise there can be no peace. The Royal Munsters and Royal Dublins must forever be immortal after the taking of that V Beach. Our old ship the “River Clyde” is still where we put her on April, 25th. I see her every other day. After the landing I was left in Gallipoli till 15th June, and had given up all hope of ever leaving the ruddy place, when suddenly a signal came through that I was to proceed to Madras at once. Life in Gallipoli was extraordinary; heat insufferable, flies unbearable, and a hellish morning, afternoon and evening, “hate” from a gun called “Slipper Sam “. He fired turn about - common, lyddite, shrapnel and high explosive at you. Nobody ever got near to knocking “Slippery” out.

The Officers and crew of the “Clyde”, about seventeen all told, as Commander Unwin has gone, were on the spot at the tragedy of H.M.S. “Goliath” and later when the “Majestic” sank like a stone. Both were hopeless dawns. Amongst others and I who saw a lot out here was Major Hutchinson, Munster Fusiliers. He played cricket for Curragh Brigade, Co. Kildare, about ‘94-‘95-‘96, with our present Admiral de Robeck in the same team. Major Hutchinson came in on the “River Clyde” with us. I think he has left to go to France. I am afraid all this will bore you very much, but one hears so many tales you get accustomed to boredom. The Turks have played the game, are exceedingly brave, and man for man for man are our equals, especially since the 29th Division are really no more.

I would give worlds to be home in County Kildare again, and I feel justly proud of the old country just now. It has been a great honour to be here serving under Admiral de Robeck. There are a tremendous number of Kildare men serving in the Navy. This ship is a mine-sweeper, but at present not doing any sweeping. I suppose it will come again later, and then I suppose it’s goodbye for ever. There are five naval and two military V. C.’s for the “Clyde” - our beach (V) - two naval D.S.0.’s and five conspicuous gallantry medals. I need hardly say I am rather lucky at having been with such a crowd. I suppose you will naturally be glad to know that I got one of those D.S.0.’s, but I fear it was most undeserved. However, my mother will be delighted and many others in the “Short Grass”, and that’s the main thing. I wonder if I’ll live to meet you again in the old ground at Naas. Chin, Chins, and remember me to all, especially Dr. Murphy.

-Yours very sincerely,

“P. Burrows Kelly

“I shall write again when I have some news or we do something.”

Pals, "The Short Grass" is a nickname for County Kildare. Very interesting story isn't it?

So, as mentioned at the start of this post, I'd be very grateful if any Pal could confirm that Peter Burrows Kelly was a member of the Royal Naval Air Service, from which the Royal Naval Armoured Division were drawn and/or give me any further information about him. I'd also be grateful if anyone could tell me who was awarded the second naval D.S.O. and the five conspicious gallantry medals, please.

Regards,

Philip

Philip,

From 'The Naval Who's Who 1917'

'Kelly, Surgeon P.B., attached to the RNAS, served in the landing of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force on the Gallipoli Peninsula, 25th-26th April 1915. Vice-Admiral de Robeck reports that he was "wounded in the foot on the morning of the 25th in 'River Clyde.' He remained in 'River Clyde' until morning of 27th during which time he attended 750 wounded men, although in great pain and unable to walk during the last twenty-four hours." Awarded the DSO (London Gazette, 16th August 1915)'

regards

Michael

The second DSO went to Lieut. J. A. V. Morse

see http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/292...upplements/8129

and

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/292...upplements/8132

this latter page also gives the details for 4 CGMs to

Petty Officer Mechanic John Hepburn Russell, R.N. Air Service O.N. F.839.

Petty Officer Mechanic Geoffrey Charlton Paine Rumming, R.N. Air Service O.N. F.813.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Frederick Gibson,. O.N. 191025 (R.F.R. B.3829).

Ordinary Seaman Jesse Lovelock, O.N.- J28798.

who was the fifth??

best regards

Michael

Many thanks Michael,

As often, you're first out of the trap! That's great information.

As to "who was the fifth?" -- I wonder if perhaps Burrows Kelly could have got his numbers mixed up?

Regards,

Philip

Just to confuse matters, three further CGMs were awarded late, at the same time as Tisdall's VC

see http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/295...upplements/3516

To receive the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal

Chief Petty Officer (now Sub-Lieutena-

William Henry Perring, R.N.V.R. A ,

Leading Seaman James Malia, K.P. 760. J|,

Leading Seaman James Parkinson, K.P. 98:.

parts of this page are illegible

However, this is added for info only, as I am quite sure Kelly was ref to an award made in August 1915

I wonder if perhaps Burrows Kelly could have got his numbers mixed up?

Perhaps Philip

or he may have been expecting a CGM for a particular man

who ended up with some other award instead?

best regards

Michael

In his article on the RNAS Armoured Cars in the "RND" Journal, Isssue No.4, pp.295-310, Steve Chambers states that PO Rummings was recommended for a VC for helping the wounded at 'V' Beach but was awarded a DSM.

Michael and horatio2,

Many thanks for that very interesting information.

Regards,

Philip

OAK, find here award to `your' Sgn Kelly.

As you can see he is down as RN, but that can also mean RND ;

KELLY Peter N/E Surgeon RN 80E029 N/E

Vice Admiral Commanding Eastern Mediterranean Squadron 16.08.15 Gazetted

Landing at Gallipoli Peninsula 25-26.04.15 DSO

Was wounded in the foot on the morning of the 25th in the "River Clyde". He remained in "River Clyde" until the morning of the 27th, during which time he attended 750 wounded men, although in great pain and unable to walk during the last 24 hours.

Sadsac

Many thanks sadsac,

I really appreciate that.

Regards,

Philip

• 10 months later...

Not sure if to late with the details for Mr Rumming one of the lads i have been researching due to his link to Purton.

RUMMING, Geoffrey Charlton Paine.

Enlisted: 27/10/1914 (Royal Navy, for period of hostilities).

Age given: Born Purton 02/12/1888.

Address / Next Of Kin, family details: Calne (lived in Bentham). Son of William and Mary Nellie Rumming, of “Capenor,” Portishead, Bristol.

Extracts from: Service record (RNAS). London Gazette.

F/813 Royal Naval Air Service.

Conspicuous Gallantry Medal, Mentioned In Despatches, Medaille Militaire.

27/10/1914 Pembroke III.

01/04/1915 President II (Accounting base for RNAS personnel).

A Mechanic 1st class initially as an engineer; at a later date he was transferred to armoured cars when he would have been promoted to Petty Officer Mechanic.

He was with No 3 Armoured Car Squadron at the Gallipoli landings. There he was onboard the SS River Clyde which made the famous landing on V beach. The landing did not go as planned and there were many wounded soldiers in the water requiring assistance. Petty Officer (PO) Peering seeing this called for help and was assisted by numerous 13 platoon, D Company, Anson battalion members as well as CPO Rumming. They joined Sub Lt Arthur Tisdall in carrying out numerous journeys to rescue soldiers in the water & stranded on rocks. Rumming later recalled;

“There were four men in the boat, the late Sub Lt Tisdall, a black bearded PO, a seaman & myself. We got 3 wounded in the boat on the first trip & 4 in the second trip. Beyond getting a few bullet holes in the boat above the waterline, the first trip was quite successful. On the second trip Sub Lt Tisdall and myself clambered over a spit of rock to get to the men lying higher up. We got shot at, lay down for a time. As we were lifting the last wounded man into the boat I got hit again in the back. We had taken the boat a little further ashore, and when we went to push of again found her grounded. When we did eventually succeed in getting off Lt Tisdall & myself were unable to climb into the boat & so we hung onto the side as the other 2 men keeping as low as possible rowed back to the River Clyde”

On this trip back Tisdall and another man were wounded. The small party had tried for over an hour to recover as many servicemen as possible from under the Turkish machine guns. One of the witnesses to this action was Lt Cmdr Wedgwood, Rummings CO and was a close friend of a certain Winston Churchill, recommending CPO Rumming and another CPO (Russell) for the Victoria Cross. This was not awarded but they were awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal instead. Sub Lt Tisdall was to be awarded the VC; he was later killed in action on the 6th May.

04/06/1915 During the attack on Krithia Geoffrey was severely wounded in the cranium, admitted to base hospital

and later invalided home. He was subsequently discharged from the Navy.

16/04/1915 Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (CGM at this time was only available to members of the Royal Navy and

Royal Marines) announced in LG.

06/08/1915 LG announces Mentioned in despatches.

29/07/1916 On His recovery he was accepted as a cadet for commission in the Machine Gun Corps, but was

discharged from training on medical grounds (Epilepsy). Address given on discharge, Quermeford,

Wiltshire.

Death / Burial / Memorial details.

Died on the 4th December 1917. Buried in CALNE (CURZON STREET) CEMETERY, Grave reference A3.

Evidence for inclusion on the Purton Parish list: National Archive details (RNAS).

Best regards

Bob lloyd

post-21863-1271003405.jpg

ADM/171/90 RN officers medal roll shows:-

Surgeon Lieutenant R.N. Peter B. KELLY DSO 1914-15 Star, Victory & British War Medals Widow. I.C. 37/296

Indicates that Kelly died not long after the war. If anyone can find his death I'd be obliged.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that extra information Bob and John.

Regards,

Philip