Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Bodies Found at Bullecourt

Peter and Ellen

I have been informed by Jean Letaille, former Mayor of Bullecourt and owner of the Private Museum, that two British (not Australian) soldier's remains have been found very recently within the village of Bullecourt.

One of the remains is complete however, the other is incomplete, but sufficient for the Regiment to be identified. They are from the same Regiment.

Now in the caring hands of the CWGC.

LEST WE FORGET

Regards, Peter

Peter,

thank you for sharing this news with us, would be interested in any update you may have in due course please,

Regards,

Scottie.

Any further news would be very welcome. I have a particular interest in the men of the 2/6 West Yorkshires who were involved in the fighting at Bullecourt as part of the 62nd Division.

Keith

Guest tafski

original poster state

One of the remains is complete however, the other is incomplete, but sufficient for the Regiment to be identified. They are from the same Regiment.

so where does the south staffs and essex reg come into it?????????????

tafski

Guest KevinEndon

Maybe because it is not 2 but possibly 3 bodies that have been found, the South Staffs and Essex Regiment info came from Jean himself.

Guest KevinEndon

I'll let you phone Jean to say he has jumped the gun. Other forum members know about these finds and have asked that the details of where exactly the bodies were found were left off the forum incase someone goes looking for souviners.

Now I am confused??? How many soldiers have been found two or three? Why has the CWGC not released any news???? Or have we been told this before it goes out the official channels. Could someone please contact Jean to confirm or give us an update. I really would be extremely disappointing if a fellow PAL from the forum went so called "souvenir hunting", that would be a total insult to these Fallen soldiers, surely no Pal from the forum would jeopardized the identification process by indulging in souvenir hunting.

Regards,

Phil

I really would be extremely disappointing if a fellow PAL from the forum went so called "souvenir hunting", that would be a total insult to these Fallen soldiers, surely no Pal from the forum would jeopardized the identification process by indulging in souvenir hunting.

There are 24,300 or so Pals on this forum, some of whom are here simply to pick up info like this since they make their livings from souvenir hunting. Others ask questions about e-bay items simply to advertise those items as they are the sellers and so on. This forum is not a select club of honourable historians and researchers, it is the general public with all that entails.

Any update would be greatfully received.

War diary of the 1st South Staffordshire. I first met Mr Letaille when mooching around Bullecourt on the trail of this battalion.

10 May 1917

Message received from CO: 'In a few days you will be called upon to capture Bullecourt. Owing to its great importance both to us and the enemy the village has already become historic, and if we capture it we shall add undying glory to the Regiment's proud record. I do not anticipate an easy victory but I am confident you will smash the enemy's resistance as you have done so many times before'. Relieved the 2nd Gordon Highlanders and the 2nd Border in the front line.

11 May

In trenches south of Bullecourt

Casualties: 1 other rank killed, 15 wounded.

12 May

Attacked Bullecourt. Casualties:

Killed in action: Lt A.J.Bell

2/Lt A.T.Penketh

21 other ranks

Wounded: Lt (A/Capt) H.A.Cundall

Lt E. Thompstone

2/Lt G.H.H.Box

2/Lt T.S.Hewetson

2/Lt E.G.Teasdale

2/Lt G.W.Brown

61 other ranks

Missing: 26 other ranks

Operation order:

Objective is the line of the road from U.27.b.15.85 to the Crucifix crossraods to the fork in the road at U.27.b.3.8 to the elbow in the road at U.21.d.5.1 to the junction at U.27.b.85.95

The Battn will act in co-operation with the 2nd Queens. Some co-operation is expected from 62nd Division, who will probably attack from the South-west.

D Coy on left, on a half company front. Final objective the Crucifix.

B Coy on right, on a hlaf-company front. Final objective the fork roads.

A Coy on right flank of B.

Immediate consolidation of strong points will take place under a protective barrage. Patrols will move forward.

A Coy will also send a strong patrol forward to the Hindenburg Support Line about U.21.d.8.5

Dumps are at U.28.a.3.1,c.8.2, and c.2.1

Equipment Mills No 5 and 23, Hales No 24. 1" Very and SAA. water: 100 filled tins will be at U.25.a.3.1.

Advanced RE stores will be at C.3.c.15.20, and where the Ecoust-Bullecourt communication trench crosses the railway at U.27.d.

Lt C.E.Philcox, with a telephone, will advance in the rear along the main road running East-west.

Battn HQ in dugout at U.28.a.5.1.

Operations narrative:

The enemy put down a steady bombardment on form-up at 0300 on 12-5-17.

Zero was at 0340. A very heavy barrage came down on South-East of village, with fire from numerous snipers and machine guns in the Red Patch. As a result, the attack on the left of the road took very heavy casualties, and became disorganised. On the right, we pushed on and in some places even passed the final objective. By 0700, positions were firmly established North and North-west of the village, and touch was gained with the 2nd Queens.

2 officers and 50 other ranks were gathered from the reserve company (plus a request for reinforcements). Beauman attacked on both sides of the road with the object of strengthening the position near the Crucifix, and if possible cutting off the retreat of the garrison in the Red Patch. this attack was launched at 0900, but met heavy machine gun fire from the Red Patch. 1 officer was killed, and half the party wounded. The remaining officer dug in in the centre of the village.

At noon, 3 Coys of the 22nd Manchesters came under orders, but it proved impossible to deploy them for further attack, and they were put under cover.

At 1800, there was a Brigade conference at Battalion HQ. One Coy of 22nd Manchesters was allotted to strengthen the position, and to form three additional posts. It was decided that further operations would be under Brigade arrangements.

During the night (12th/13th May), the Crucifix position was heavily shelled, with bombing attacks. They were beaten off splendidly by a party under 2/Lt T.N.Wood.

During the 13th, shelling made communications difficult. By 1900 (13th May), Brigade ordered an attack against a strong point at U.27.b.6.2 with a Coy of 21st Manchesters. The attack was driven off.

During the night (13th/14th May), the Honourable Artillery Company attempted relief, but intense shelling caused it to be postponed.

The 14th was quiet, other than the enemy shelling the South-East part of the village.

The battalion was relieved by the HAC that night.

Results (1) whole village except Red Patch cleared, (2) heavy casualties inflicted by posts at North and North-West of village, commanded by 2/Lt Wood, 2/Lt R.H.Livingstone, and CSM A.Flowers. The lines were at places only 40/60 yards apart. The Staffords suffered casualties from snipers.

During the action, total casualties were: Officers 2 killed, 7 wounded. Other ranks: 37 killed, 107 wounded, 27 missing.

Let's hope that one or two of the Staffords might be coming in from the cold.

Personally I could do without the silly dialogue earlier in this thread. Wait for any official announcement.

Guest tafski
Now I am confused??? How many soldiers have been found two or three? Why has the CWGC not released any news???? Or have we been told this before it goes out the official channels. Could someone please contact Jean to confirm or give us an update. I really would be extremely disappointing if a fellow PAL from the forum went so called "souvenir hunting", that would be a total insult to these Fallen soldiers, surely no Pal from the forum would jeopardized the identification process by indulging in souvenir hunting.

Regards,

Phil

Maybe Kevin aka 1888 should be contacted as it seems he was the one who released the regiments of the men who were found still believe CWGC should have released this information

tafski

Chris

I was with Kevin at the time talking to Jean about my family serving in the South Staffords, it was then that he said that two bodies had recently been found, one he said was carrying the identification of a South Stafford. I think that we now wait to hear the official report.

Regards Doug

Have to say I don't understand what harm is done to anything/anyone by Kevin sharing with us what he knows.

It seems that, on other threads, quoting unnamed sources to support speculation about something is perfectly acceptable.

John

I saw M. Letaille today, while visiting Bullecourt with a group. In fact five soldiers have been found - all British. It is true that the regiments of two of them are known, and they are both regiments that served with the 7th Division at Bullecourt in 1917. I am sure CWGC will release full details in due course.

Thanks Paul. It would seem silly now to continue to speculate; waiting for the official announcement is the best course.

Jim

Paul, thank you for the update, and yes, we should now all await the official announcement, in due course.

Regards, Peter

Guest tafski
Paul, thank you for the update, and yes, we should now all await the official announcement, in due course.

Regards, Peter

My sentiments exactley

tafski

I really would be extremely disappointing if a fellow PAL from the forum went so called "souvenir hunting", that would be a total insult to these Fallen soldiers, surely no Pal from the forum would jeopardized the identification process by indulging in souvenir hunting.

There was a "discussion" about this practice recently over on in Ships section. Mainly about removal of artifacts from shipwrecks versus removal from battlefield site.

One member declared that "Battlefields were fair game". It seems that not all of us are as respectful of the fallen as we should be.

Grant