Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reversed Bullets

speake

I read something a while back the the Germans were able to figure out how to penetrate armour plate on tanks or sniper shields by revering their bullets so that the blunt, flat end struck the target instead of the pointed end. Any truth to this?

I read something a while back the the Germans were able to figure out how to penetrate armour plate on tanks or sniper shields by revering their bullets so that the blunt, flat end struck the target instead of the pointed end. Any truth to this?

Sean

This was a recent thread. No need to start a new one.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...reversed+bullet

Gunner Bailey

I read the other thread on this and two things jumped out at me. One, the photos of ammunition with the bullets reversed did not look right. On one, the shoulder of the case was completely missing. On the other the lip of the case was rolled over. You would never get either to chamber in a rifle. As far as reversing the bullet and filling the case with powder, you would blow the rifle up. I have been reloading ammunition for my rifles and pistols for 45 years. If reversed bullet ammo was used, it was to improve the impact on a human body instead of just punching a neat hole through it.....chris3

I am not sure whether it is worth revisiting this whole subject, but which particular picture are you refering to?

There is no doubt it happened and also that a reveresed bullet will punch through steel plate better than a normal bullet at short range. Beyond that we are in the realms of speculation.

Regards

TonyE

As far as reversing the bullet and filling the case with powder, you would blow the rifle up. I have been reloading ammunition for my rifles and pistols for 45 years.

chris3

If you read the other thread, you'll note that at least one enterprising reloader has tested the idea, and other contributors posted detailed accounts from the period as to how it was done, at least in the case of German 7,92x57 service rounds.

But hey, whaddo I know? I've only been building my own ammunition for 28 years... :D

Regards,

MikB

Pals,

Could we please post onto the end of the older thread so all this stuff is in the same place?

:rolleyes:

Gunner Bailey's posted the link higher up so there's no excuse! B)

Cheers,

Mark

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH No, please not again!

Yes, you were working rather hard in the last one... :D

Regards,

MikB

• 5 years later...