Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manor farm dug out (called 'Manor Farm'),Zillebeke

marc coene

Hello,

I'm living at the rebuild Manor Farm at Zillebeke(close to Ypres).

Most of the 14-18 war it was ocupied by British troops but little by little it was completely destroyed by German shellfire.

It is situated South of Zillebeke Lake and just near the passing railway at Zillebeke (railway postion was called Manor Halt).

A trench(Fosse trench) connecting with Hill 60 region was running trough the farm.

Part of 1917 and beginning 1918 it was occupied by RGA (beginning 1918 it was 154 Siege Battery) and out of a diary of Maurice Cecile Walker I found that 3 or 4 pieces of 9.2 inch guns were positioned nearby the farm.

I'm trying to know all things about that time. In the book Beneath Flanders Fields I read that there was also a Manor Farm Dugout, positioned map references I 22C (which ran under the main street). It was an artillery dug out started to be used by 2nd Canadians. In another diary book of Captain Maurice Walker, MC, 154Siege Battery, stationed at Manor Farm from 11 th of January till 1'th of April, I read the dug out was deep and about all the artillery men could get in it.

Somebody knows if there are maps of how the dug out was built under the ground (I mean specific maps about this dug out). It is in each case a dug out which will never be explored because it is very near houses and runs also under the street but living so near of it, it want to try to imagine how it will have looked. In the book was also mentioned that on both side of the street there was an entrance to the dug out. Somebody know more about this specific dug out and its history of use for the Artillery?

Greetings, Marc

Hello,

I'm living at the rebuild Manor Farm at Zillebeke(close to Ypres).

Most of the 14-18 war it was ocupied by British troops but little by little it was completely destroyed by German shellfire.

It is situated South of Zillebeke Lake and just near the passing railway at Zillebeke (railway postion was called Manor Halt).

A trench(Fosse trench) connecting with Hill 60 region was running trough the farm.

Part of 1917 and beginning 1918 it was occupied by RGA (beginning 1918 it was 154 Siege Battery) and out of a diary of Maurice Cecile Walker I found that 3 or 4 pieces of 9.2 inch guns were positioned nearby the farm.

I'm trying to know all things about that time. In the book Beneath Flanders Fields I read that there was also a Manor Farm Dugout, positioned map references I 22C (which ran under the main street). It was an artillery dug out started to be used by 2nd Canadians. In another diary book of Captain Maurice Walker, MC, 154Siege Battery, stationed at Manor Farm from 11 th of January till 1'th of April, I read the dug out was deep and about all the artillery men could get in it.

Somebody knows if there are maps of how the dug out was built under the ground (I mean specific maps about this dug out). It is in each case a dug out which will never be explored because it is very near houses and runs also under the street but living so near of it, it want to try to imagine how it will have looked. In the book was also mentioned that on both side of the street there was an entrance to the dug out. Somebody know more about this specific dug out and its history of use for the Artillery?

Greetings, Marc

Hi, You may find this link interesting, it mentions Manor Farm.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2008/0.../story34469.asp

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2731...mp;#entry258531

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/foru...46592e9060fd3e4

This map (July 1918) clearly shows Manor Farm in the bottom left hand corner at I.22.C.

post-42671-1242557278.jpg

This map (July 1918) clearly shows Manor Farm in the bottom left hand corner at I.22.C.

post-42671-1242557278.jpg

Hello Roger, Indeed this is the place where we live now. Under the street between Manor Farm and Halt (stop place for the train) there seems to be a deep dug out. When heavy shelling was occuring the soldiers could all shelter in the dug out.

The whole it was occupied by the Commonwealth troops. Only in april 1918 it was taken by the Germans who then occupied Manor Farm and dug out and so one.....I found German bullets marked fabrication date 1918 so indeed they were here.

Marc

Hi thanks for the info. It confirms some things I heard already but in each case very interesting.Thanks.Marc

Here it is marked on a map of summer 1918.....manor farm is just inside the German front line (the blue line)

Regards \peter

post-2649-1242591255.jpg

Here it is marked on a map of summer 1918.....manor farm is just inside the German front line (the blue line)

Regards \peter

Peter thanks, indeed and there is even marked Manor Farm Tunnel. Interesting maps like that. Marc

• 5 months later...

Regards \peter

Hello Peter,

Please allow me to come still ounce back on this item concerning the special part of map you sent to me. Still some questions. Do you still have some bigger vieuw, or also the vieuw of the more left piece of the Zillebeke Lake. I'm curious how the German line was further running.

What was the about date of this map. I guess May or June 1918?

There is an index on the map? Because I see the black (in black inkt) squares marked on the map.It seems to be around the tunnels? It interest me very much because I'm living there and I look for the history of the place. Just a good month ago we organised a Remembrance weekend with relatives of the 154 Siege Battery who were 4months at Manor Farm (January till April 1918).They were positioned here with 4 Heavy 9.2 guns.I would like to find maps where the guns are marked on but all not easy. Perhaps I will still ounce make some new message because you never know but it would be of good help if you have still more info about the map you sent me earlier.Thanks.

Perhaps German Artillery maps of the enemy position could give also info, but I don't know were to find them about the period January till april 1918.

Kind regards,

Marc

Armidale,

The Zillebeke Bund is the west embankment of the Zillebeke lake into which were dug many dugouts used as HQ's, troop accommodation and Dressing station. I am sure there must be numerous accounts written by troops who have served or been accommodated there, but one of the best is by Norman Gladden, a Northumberland Fusilier, who was there around June 1917 and wrote the book "Ypres 1917".

Iain

Iain.

Thank you. It has taken 6 years of asking, and a bit of futile googling, to find out exactly where a relative with the 7th Bn AIF spent his last night 'in accommodation'.

I am afraid not of much help, but here are 3 aerials from 1914 and 1915 Manor Farm

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the 3 photos, for other reasons this is of big help. I will come back on this.

Regards,Marc

• 2 years later...

.....Just came across this aerial of Manor Farm in 1917, I hope its of use Marc

Cheers

Andy

post-10939-0-59954100-1323682044.jpg

.....Just came across this aerial of Manor Farm in 1917, I hope its of use Marc

Cheers

Andy

Andy, thanks, every photo helps a bit to make the history puzzle. Kind regards, Marc