Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with MIC Please

hlough

Could someone help with this medal card please. Trying to find out something about this man so that a short piece can be written for him. Have added his RAMC to title

regards

Heath

post-41822-1241555805.jpg

Heath,

James Renwick was an Officer of the 10th Royal Irish Rifles,36th Ulster Division.

He was commissioned on the 28/8/1917.

According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission he died on the 28/3/1918 and is buried at home in Norham on Tweed [in his wifes family plot].

Although there is an on-line grave inscription which gives the date as 2/3/1918 but this may be a mistake or misread.

At some point it appears the CWGC headstone must have been replaced when his wife died in 1955.

As he is buried at home it is unclear how he died and local papers may help.

From his date to France it may be possible to determine his original unit, not the Ulster Division.

There are some on the forum that may be able to tell from his service number. If you use the search facility for 'RAMC' you can see previous posts on them.

Rob

Rob

Thanks for that. Pic below his family grave and CWGC stone. Inscription says ILO of James Renwick, BA, Second Lieut. Royal Irish Rifles born 11th September 1878 died 2nd March 1918 and his beloved wife Annie Weatherburn died 11th October 1955 aged 71 years. (From a transcription made a few years ago).

Any extra information from the MIC would be appreciated. I am trawling through papers at the moment but have not got this far yet! Will trry an RAMC search.

Your point re date of death the other CWGC stone in the churchyard is misspelt 2 "n"s instead of one.

regards

Heath

post-41822-1241560565.jpg

Heath,

The medal card doesn't tell you much else.

He was awarded the 1915 Star, War and Victory medals and the numbers relate to the pages these can be found on in the regimental rolls at Kew. Victory and British in the Royal Irish Rifles Officers roll and the star in the RAMC roll.

I had a look on 'Ancestry Uk' for any James Clarence Renwick.

It shows James and, who i preume, is his fathers births and there is also a James Clarence renwick born in April 1918 in Sheffield.

Could this be someone named after him?

There is a misleading reference to a James Clarence Renwick listed in one of the memorial books but it is not James its a George.

The same for the CWGC roll they have, it says for James but isn't.

Is he a relative?

Rob

HI Rob

You gave me an idea an I have blown up the image as large as I can. See below The date on the original stone has lost a nuimber but the "st" still there so should read "21st".

I am trying to gather information on all the service men from the local area churchyards but I am having real problems with this one. The MIC seems to be right and I have agreement between the dates with the stone and the CWGC certificate I printed out has date 21 March 1918. But!!! I cannot marry him up with any other details, this mainly because I have not really got into the detail of MIC's yet Forgot to say CWGC certificate has B.A., L. Th. , Born at Winlaton.

Any suggestions how I can find out his details please

Heath

post-41822-1241566958.jpg

Can anyone make out the RAMC number please.

regards

Heath

Heath,

I read that as 44735.They made a mistake and overwitten it with the revised number.

It sometimes was just a human error picked up later.

Rob

I read that as 44735.They made a mistake and overwitten it with the revised number.

It sometimes was just a human error picked up later.

Rob

Rob

Thank you. Was not sure about the number. Any help gratefully received.

regards

Heath

Hello Heath,

The number has simply been entered wrongly. The correct one substituted and a note of the error is made on the card where it says "No (Number) amended Auth (Authority) Min 8".

The "NW/3/9097" is the file number covering all correspondence.

Regards Mike Jones

Hi Mike

Thanks for the explanation of the number. Will try and find him in the RAMC now.

regards

Heath

• 1 year later...

His service file as an officer is in WO 339/85272 (not online), this will probably contain his original attestation forms to the RAMC as well, with basic details of service as a private.

His service file as an officer is in WO 339/85272 (not online), this will probably contain his original attestation forms to the RAMC as well, with basic details of service as a private.

Thanks for this. I will have to write and try and get access to this. The knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me you ask and someone somewhere either answers your query or points you in the right direction. Thanks again

Heather