Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5210 R. Munster Fusiliers Cpl. George Tiller D.C.M.

Sullivan

I am researching the military service of Cpl. George Tiller D.C.M.

George Tiller was born 26th August 1881 althought his discharge certificate which I have states he was born 1880.

He enlisted at London 6th March 1896 with the 1st battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, service No. 5210.

He served with The Colours for 23 years and 2 days and was "Discharged on termination of second period of engagement". One of the photos shows him in civvy dress and is endorsed on back 1908.

Can any Forum member confirm what the "periods of engagement" would have been as this may help me to date some photos I have.

The King and Queens South Africa campaign medals are on his medal bar and there is a photo of him as a drummer in South Africa with the 1st battalion. This photo would be circa 1899-1902.

His MIC is endorsed 2B and tells me he entered the theatre of war 25th April 1915 and no doubt would have landed at V Beach Cape Helles with the 1st Munster Fusiliers.

He was awarded the DCM for action at Suvla Bay, on night of 21st-22nd August 1915 and was wounded in the process. I have the LG download with citation for the award. (Supplement to the London Gazette date 16 November 1915 page 11412).

He was mentioned in dispatches LG 28th January 1916, however I have not found the citation for this mention, can any Forum member advise where I should be looking for it.

The MIC also shows a Labour Corps service No. 512232, however this entry is scratched out on his discharge certificate with blue pencil and replaced with "Attached 1st Divisional band". Would this indicate the 1st battalion Munster Fusiliers band or some other band of the British Army, can any Forum member assist in identifying "Attached 1st Divisional band".

After his wounding at Suvla Bay he was sent to the 3rd battalion Munster Fusiliers (reserve) based in 1915 at Aghada, Co. Cork. The family has a copy of Standing orders issued 9th December 1915, item 6 of the order mentions his DCM award being granted.

All the photos show a band insignia on his sleeve.

Any comments appreciated.

Sullivan.

• 3 weeks later...