Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Hampshire regiment

kevinrolfe

I have a photo of my Grandfather as a band member of the 2nd Battalion Hampshire Regiment. he left in 1926/7 and was in the RAMC 39-51

Charles joined in 1914 to escape an orphanage (he lied about his age),

My question is what information could i get on him in relationship to the Hampshire reg. as it is very possible he was in the band in 1921 when the IRA bombed them at Youghal?

Charles Richard Wroot was born in 1899, in London

My question is what information could i get on him in relationship to the Hampshire reg. as it is very possible he was in the band in 1921 when the IRA bombed them at Youghal?

Given the dates of his service his papers will still be held by the MoD. Follow the link to Army Service Records for information on how to get hold of these.

In terms of whether he was with the band in 1921 at Youghal I have will have a look into this and get back to you tomorrow. Do you happen to know his regimental number / army number?

Marc

Charles Richard Wroot, enlisted as a regular at Winchester 19/01/1915 age 15 years 4 months. Assigned Regimental No. 15268, Hampshire Regiment

Born: St Pancras, Middx

Trade on enlistment: Musician

Subsequent Army Number 5485318

Awarded 2nd Class Certificate of Education c. October 1922 (listed as W Coy 2nd Hants)

Discharged, termination of engagement 18/01/1927 at Exeter

Rank and character on discharge: Bandsman, exemplary

No WW1 campaign medal entitlement as he was too young to serve overseas during this period.

Whilst his name isn't listed among the casualties from the IRA bomb blast at Youghal on 31/05/1921 he was certainly in the 2nd Battalion band at this time so there is a good chance that he was one of the fortunate suvivors. The service record of Bandsman Wroot is likely to provide confirmation. Seven members of the band were killed instantaneously in the bombing and four died of wounds with a further 19 wounded. Three of the fatalities were Boys ranging in age from 14 to 17 years of age. The strength of the band in personnel was vitually halved by the bombing.

Marc

Charles Richard Wroot, enlisted as a regular at Winchester 19/01/1915 age 15 years 4 months. Assigned Regimental No. 15268, Hampshire Regiment

Born: St Pancras, Middx

Trade on enlistment: Musician

Subsequent Army Number 5485318

Awarded 2nd Class Certificate of Education c. October 1922 (listed as W Coy 2nd Hants)

Discharged, termination of engagement 18/01/1927 at Exeter

Rank and character on discharge: Bandsman, exemplary

No WW1 campaign medal entitlement as he was too young to serve overseas during this period.

Whilst his name isn't listed among the casualties from the IRA bomb blast at Youghal on 31/05/1921 he was certainly in the 2nd Battalion band at this time so there is a good chance that he was one of the fortunate suvivors. The service record of Bandsman Wroot is likely to provide confirmation. Seven members of the band were killed instantaneously in the bombing and four died of wounds with a further 19 wounded. Three of the fatalities were Boys ranging in age from 14 to 17 years of age. The strength of the band in personnel was virtually halved by the bombing.

Marc

Wow we thought he lied about his age to get out of the orphanage, but i have his birth day as 18th sept 1899. he was in Leavesden Orphanage who state they prepaired boys for the army and taught them an instrament (French Horn)

He rejoined 1-9-39 and left 12-9-51.

Thank you...