Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prestatyn WWI solider gets memorial 93 years late

fotonix

Prestatyn WWI solider gets memorial 93 years late

Mar 16 2009 by Kelly Fenna, Daily Post

A WWI SOLDIER killed in battle days after singing a song his brother feared was “unlucky” is to finally get a public memorial – 93 years after he died.

Royal Welch fusilier Private Alun Parry’s name will be listed on a new memorial wall at the village green in Gwaenysgor, near Prestatyn, near where he and three other serviceman lived.

In 1916 during the Battle of Somme, Private Parry’s brother George worried the Welsh song he kept singing ‘O’r Niwl I’r Nef’ – which means From Gloom to Glory – was unlucky.

Within days of the song resounding through their rest camp, 24-year-old Private Parry, known for his singing voice, was killed by machine gun fire during a major offensive.

George wrote an emotional letter home to break the tragic news to the rest of the family detailing his grief.

Now local historian, Jerry Bone is to unveil a commemorative wall in Alun’s honour which also lists three other fallen soldiers from the same area. A service later this month will be attended by drummers and bugles from the Royal Welch Fusiliers Association, along with a bagpipe player, the Royal British Legion, the Territorial Army and serving troops.

During the official unveiling of the wall, three Gwaenysgor ladies will also sing the verses of ‘O’r Niwl I’r Nef,’ which will feature on one of three slate plaques on the wall.

The other two plaques list the names of the soldiers John Griffiths, William House and Ellis Evans, along with their dedications in Welsh and English.

Jerry, who raised money for the wall himself and was given a hefty £2,700 contribution from the Community Council, said: “Three years ago I got talking to a gentlemen about my military interests and collections and he gave me his uncle’s death penny – which is a plaque awarded to the deceased’s next of kin. “He told me his father George Parry fought in WWI alongside his brother Alun who kept singing the Welsh song ‘O’r Niwl I’r Nef,’ which George thought was a bad omen.

“When Alun was killed, George wrote a letter home to break the tragic news.” In his letter home, George says: “With trembling hand and heart, I take my courage in my hands to write to you, despite my grief. You know of the awful dangers that we are facing and of the grief that exists.”

He adds: “How strange that first night, after we had left the rest camp Alun sang so that his voice resounded through the forest: ‘From the mist to Heaven I am going, my mother and father, to a land from which I shall not return...’.“

“While he was singing, I felt I should tell him to stop singing such a sad song, but I didn’t say a word.” Jerry said he wanted Alun’s story to be remembered, along with those of his fellow war heroes from Gwaenysgor at a memorial service.

On March 28, a precession will march from Gwaenysgor’s community centre to the village green where the service will take place.

The event will start 10.30am with the unveiling of the wall at 11am.