Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armband

starmore4969

Anyone any ideas what the armbands were for?? The guy marked with an x is Alexander Taylor (Black watch) from Perth Scotland. have heard a family story saying he was a POW, could this be what they are for??

Steve

post-44155-1235502005.jpg

I suspect that the brassards are hospital blue - worn with greatcoats to mark the soldier as convalescent. The greatcoat obviously conceals the hospital blue clothing (as worn by the other figures in your photo.

Returned POW's were issued a arm band. So there is a good chance that is what he is wearing if you think he was one.

Regards,

Stewart

One of those men is definitely in hospital blues. if you look at this link Hospital album you'll find photographs of men in hospital with the same type of coat and armbands. Photo no 3 for example shows men with armbands and men in hospital blues and some nurses.

Yes, its a hospital photo, not PoW. Two are wearing hospital blues, the others greatcoats with what I beleive is a blue armband to signify being wounded/convalensing. A nice photo, thanks for sharing it.

what I beleive is a blue armband to signify being wounded/convalensing.

Green, according to Joe and Grumpy's epic brassard compilation (no. 89) of some time back.

Best wishes,

GT.