Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mrs Victor Rickard; 1876-1963

Sean.

Hi All,

This is a bit of information that some members may be interested in.

A few weeks ago while she was doing some research, JPC another forum member from Cork discovered that Mrs Victor Rickard (the widow of Colonel Victor Rickard who died at Rue De Bois 9th May 1915) lived in Cork City for the last twenty years of her life.

It was also discovered that she died here in Cork on the 27th January 1963, after some phone calls and cemetery hopping I eventually found her grave at Rathcooney Cemetery just outside Cork City, it’s in a poor state at the moment but it is our intention to set about cleaning and recovering it in the coming weeks.

I have attached a photo of the grave and the inscription reads;

In Loving Memory of Louie Rickard who died at Montenotte 27th January 1963. R.I.P;

The snare is broken and my soul is set free.

Regards,

Sean

PS. Problem with loading photo, will try again later if needed.

post-17374-1233349287.jpg

Herself, Rathcooney Cemetery, Cork

post-17374-1233349425.jpg

Himself - Lt-Col Victor Rickard, 9th May 1915, Caberet Rouge, Souchez, France

'Death's Face is towrds the Light

His other name is onward.'

What lovely texts, both of them. Thank you both for this.

I went straight to this as soon as I saw the name, goes to show, the grave may be a little dilapidated but the people are still thought and spoken of. God bless.

What lovely texts, both of them. Thank you both for this.

I went straight to this as soon as I saw the name, goes to show, the grave may be a little dilapidated but the people are still thought and spoken of. God bless.

Seeing the photgraphs of the Rickard's graves together one could say that, although buried miles apart, they have now finally been united within the Great War Forum. For those who may not be aware of the fact, Mrs Rickard worked hard to perpetuate the memory of the Munster Fusiliers both with her publication 'The Munsters at Etreaux, Festubert, and Rue de Bois' and also with her work with the Royal Munster Fusiliers Old Comrades Association.

Well done to Sean and JPC!

Gerry

• 1 month later...

Please see the thread: "Last Absolution of the Munsters" - it is on the Classic Threads board. It would be fitting to have these images posted there.

Ian Turner